What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012 Colorado Basketball Game thread: Hartford at Colorado

Not worried. Here's why. At no point during conference play will Tad roll lineups like we saw today. For instance, during one 5 minute stretch in the first half you had Stalzer, Talton, XJ, Scott, and Adams on the floor. 4 Frosh and Adams! Think about that. In bigger games Tad does a good job of intermingling bench players with starters and I expect to see him go that direction the rest of the way.
The rotations will get better, but this is still a team that is really lacking solid role players. Outside of the 4 big names, there's virtually no offense and Chen is the only one I'd view as a "solid" role player right now. That's still enough to win a lot of games but we're vulnerable to injuries and/or foul trouble.

Dammit, wanted to watch this but assumed it would be a night game. ****

You knew that the Buffs were going to win anyways so no suspense involved. PAC 12 network will repeat it at 1:00 am if you want to record it.

The lack of production from the bench is an issue. There's really no way around it. It's going to cost us in conference play unless there is drastic improvement.

The only guys on the bench we should expect significant contributions from are Adams and XJ. Tunks, Stalzer and Talton will provide minutes, but little in the way of production. That's OK.

solid victory in a game we should have won. I am stoked to come out of non conference at 10-2 though. That is huge for us coming into Pac-12 play. Now if the buffs can go at least 1-1 on this road trip we may be finally starting to put the pieces together. Scott and Andre are quite a duo. Would love to see them keep that up.

The only guys on the bench we should expect significant contributions from are Adams and XJ. Tunks, Stalzer and Talton will provide minutes, but little in the way of production. That's OK.

Adams puzzles me. He has shown flashes of ability that should translate into a guy who can make things happen on offense but for some reason never seems to break and become that offensive force. XJ is still very young so I am not worried about him but would like to see Adams turn it on which would be huge for this team.

Against the bottom tier of the conference, it's OK. But against the top 3 or 4 teams, we're going to have our hands full unless those top 4 are playing out of their minds. We already have 3 guys playing more minutes than anyone on last year's squad and Scott's 28mpg is a heavy load for a freshman big man. Someone needs to emerge from that cluster of a bench to take the pressure off of those guys.

Against the bottom tier of the conference, it's OK. But against the top 3 or 4 teams, we're going to have our hands full unless those top 4 are playing out of their minds. We already have 3 guys playing more minutes than anyone on last year's squad and Scott's 28mpg is a heavy load for a freshman big man. Someone needs to emerge from that cluster of a bench to take the pressure off of those guys.

I can already see us getting into early foul trouble against UCLA or Stanford (two of the most difficult matchups for us), and the disaster it could turn into

I can already see us getting into early foul trouble against UCLA or Stanford (two of the most difficult matchups for us), and the disaster it could turn into

Yeah, this team is walking such a fine line, there's going to be a few ugly games. Let's just hope we stay healthy enough to minimize them.

Adams puzzles me. He has shown flashes of ability that should translate into a guy who can make things happen on offense but for some reason never seems to break and become that offensive force. XJ is still very young so I am not worried about him but would like to see Adams turn it on which would be huge for this team.

adams is a great athlete and pound for pound, the strongest on this squad. Unfortunately since the summer he got to CU, he's been plagued by injuries/health issues. Last year during the scrimmage he suffered a nasty concussion that took a few weeks before they cleared him, then the diabetes diagnoses and figuring out how to manage it in the context of a grueling schedule for a student-athlete, then early this summer a knee injury and just as the season started, another injury to the other knee. Hopefully he gets healthy as the team is stronger w/ him as opposed without him....

Agreed, but I think that as the season progresses, we'll see flashes of brilliance from Shane, Eli and lil X... Hopefully at key times and that 1, 2 or all 3 gain the confidence and consistency as we go into the P12 tourney, remember last year Shane had some great quality minutes in the tourney.

We did what we needed to do, now let's get to conference play!

I'll admit though, I'm a little worried about depth. I really thought we'd see someone outside of The Mayor/Dre/Ski/Scott step up by now, but it hasn't happened. XJ has shown flashes but is still very inconsistent, Talton and Stalzer seem to be regressing, and SHT and Adams are, well, SHT and Adams. Any injury to that top 4 would be absolutely catastrophic to our tournament chances.

Good points, how many among us wish that Wesley Gordon did not redshirt and that one of the 2 frosh guards did? Could bite us in the ass as the season progresses... Hopefully not though...

Good points, how many among us wish that Wesley Gordon did not redshirt and that one of the 2 frosh guards did? Could bite us in the ass as the season progresses... Hopefully not though...

I agree. This decision by Boyle still confuses me a bit but who am I to question "The Tad"

I see XJ as a key and I think Boyle did/does too. Maybe his play before the season played a hand in Boyle red-shirting Gordon. I know they play different position but Boyle may have thought that the offense XJ could produce along with good rebounding skills would be good enough that he could give Gordan a year of development.

I know XJ is a Freshman but I really did expect a little more out of him. He definitely shows flashes but his inconsistency and undisciplined defense worry me a bit. But I shall remain patient and hopeful. I'm sure he will come around.

I don't think there was ever a chance of Gordon suiting up this year. For various reasons, it seems the plan was always to redshirt him. The one who could have possibly contributed this year, though, is Jenkins. I think it was either Talton or Jenkins, and Jenkins was the one who agreed to the redshirt year. I do think Jenkins shooting ability would be an asset this year though.

Back