What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012 Colorado Buffaloes vs USC Basketball game thread

Our free throw shooting is embarrassing.

It's just unbelievable that we refuse to do what it takes to improve free throws. This clearly isn't just "taking care of itself", and some of us knew it was never going to.

We are not a good team right now. Not really sure how else to say it.

53% foul shooting, got our ass kicked on the boards 37-27.

This team better wake up, and fast, because we're staring 1-5 in the conference standings right in the face.

Not sure what it could possibly take to get serious about free throws. It's maddening.

Well, it's a W. That wasn't a confident team out there at the end of the game. Guys are in such a hurry to get the ball out of their hands, they're making awful passes. And I really don't understand the in-bounds play we run where Spencer runs down the baseline away from the passer. There's no angle there and it clogs up the baseline. When they actually have guys come back to the ball, they get it in.

Prayers to the Buffs MBB team to overcome the flu...it's brutal here in Denver and I was in bed for five days missing two days of work

Ucla coming to town, wtf was that mess? Ski looked like a midget JR tonight on a bad night. Yes, I saw the nice play but saw a lot of Ski what the hell ru doing plays too. Chen scares the hell outta me but the dude damn sure plays his ass off. He looks like an 80s player but he gets **** done. His teammates should take notice.

I'm going to blame that one on the flu that is rumored to have hit the team this week.
I wasn't aware of that. Explains a lot. Is that why Roberson didn't start? I'd think an athletic team would all get the shot though. Maybe a bad cold virus. There has been a bad respiratory virus going around.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that unless they figure out how to rebound better and shoot FTs, we'll need another miracle run in the tourney to get to the dance. We have no clue how to finish. BUT gotta feel good about next year with all this youth!

Ucla coming to town, wtf was that mess? Ski looked like a midget JR tonight on a bad night. Yes, I saw the nice play but saw a lot of Ski what the hell ru doing plays too. Chen scares the hell outta me but the dude damn sure plays his ass off. He looks like an 80s player but he gets **** done. His teammates should take notice.

I was thinking that we should be putting the ball in Chen's hands for the final 5 minutes if we have a lead - he's the only one that seems to not play scared.

The free throw shooting needs to be fixed. It's going to be biting us hard this season if it doesn't improve a bunch. Any close game we could lose down the stretch if we can't score better from the line.
Maybe Tad needs to talk to Linda to find out what she did... last weekend WBB FT %: Fri (vs Furd) 47%; Sun (vs Cal) 70%; Tues (vs Utes) 82%

I'm a little confused by the use of Stalzer and Talton too. We really need one of those two to step up, and splitting their time, giving them each 8-10 minutes a game, isn't going to do it. I don't care which it is, but pick one of the two and stock with him.

The free throw shooting needs to be fixed. It's going to be biting us hard this season if it doesn't improve a bunch. Any close game we could lose down the stretch if we can't score better from the line.
Maybe Tad needs to talk to Linda to find out what she did... last weekend WBB FT %: Fri (vs Furd) 47%; Sun (vs Cal) 70%; Tues (vs Utes) 82%
Maybe we could switch to the women's ball for free throws.

I was thinking that we should be putting the ball in Chen's hands for the final 5 minutes if we have a lead - he's the only one that seems to not play scared.

Definitely.

Either Talton or Stalzer has to step up to be a consistent ball handler. The "freshman" excuse only works for so long.

Just played their game IMO. When CU played up tempo, they got turnovers and some nice leads. The flu thing umm yeah.

Spencer looked off tonight and so did Dre. Maybe we did have some flu going around.

It's pretty clear that unless they figure out how to rebound better and shoot FTs, we'll need another miracle run in the tourney to get to the dance. We have no clue how to finish. BUT gotta feel good about next year with all this youth!

These next 3 games are HUGE. If we lose to UCLA, and then go stink it up on the road like we usually do...11-7 (1-5) is the record of a team that isn't making the NCAA Tournament. We would be extremely wise to beat UCLA and then go get a road win at Wazzu.

Maybe the flu stuff is real idk. I saw some guys playing harder than others IMO. U$C was playing physical.

USC has more talent than their 6-9 record heading into tonight suggests. In recent games, they've defeated Dayton and Stanford, and they also beat Texas earlier in the year. They've played a brutal schedule, but they also played San Diego State extremely tough (lost 66-60), played Marquette tough (lost 72-64), and played New Mexico tough (75-67). They aren't a good team, but we're not the only team to eek out a closer win over them than hoped for. Still, tonight leaves a bad taste. The free throw issue is getting extremely tiring. It's costing us games, and yet it continues to rear its ugly head seemingly every single game. And, getting outworked on the boards by such a huge margin is never pleasant.

UCLA is a big game. They have legit talent and could smoke us like a blunt if we aren't careful. The game will be telling.

We bitched about the free throw discrepancy after the ASU game. Tonight we shot 26 (made 14; 53.8%), USC shot 6 (made 5; 83.3%). I'd bet there are more than a few incredulous USC fans.

Blowing these leads is clearly the sign of a young team, with few options off the bench. Gotta find some help for the starters, and the guys need to start showing some maturity to go along with their energy and spark

My daughter is a student and she's got the flu as well. Tonight was the first game she's missed all year.

I'm not as worried as some are here. They played very well in the first half and poorly in the second, especially at the beginning and at the end. USC has a huge team and that has always given us fits (Stanford). I thought Tad did a good job of using the bench to keep the starters out of foul trouble. At one point he had a "big" lineup in with Scott, Dre, XJ, Spencer and Stalzer. They played well as a unit. No wholesale lineup changes tonight or any time with three or four freshmen on the court at once.

Good things: Josh Scott had a great game. He spent every minute of the game going up against a seven footer (they have three of them). He showed some maturity late in the game when instead of going straight up against one of them, he head-faked him in the air and got the foul.

Sabatino Chen also played great on both ends of the floor. He's starting to become a scoring threat. If we can get eight or ten points a night from him it will be great for this team. He had a diving steal at one point, did a Globetrotter dribbling move at mid court and went in for a layup between two USC defenders.

I thought Talton and Stalzer did well in their minutes. I thought they both hit a three, but the box score says Talton's was just a long two. For as much crap as Harris-Tunks gets on here, he had some valuable minutes and was able to give Josh a rest from USC's big man assault. He had four boards, a steal and a block in 12 minutes.

I think we get in trouble when we start to run clock late in games. I don't think we scored a point late in the game when we ran the clock under ten. Ski scored on a layup early in the clock.

All in all, a win is a win. UCLA only beat Utah by four. We take them down on Saturday.

P.S. Roberson was late for practice this week. That's why he didn't start.

We bitched about the free throw discrepancy after the ASU game. Tonight we shot 26 (made 14; 53.8%), USC shot 6 (made 5; 83.3%). I'd bet there are more than a few incredulous USC fans.

They should be more pissed about their turnovers.

UCLA is a big game. They have legit talent and could smoke us like a blunt if we aren't careful. The game will be telling.

They could. If it clicks for them. So far they've played 16 games and they've had 1 (vs Mizzou) where it "clicked". They played like crap at Utah tonight. I expect a close, choppy, sloppy affair. Certainly a must win for us. Gotta protect home court at all costs, especially until we prove we have any capability of winning on the road.

Back