What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

At some point UNLV has to cut bait with Bobby Hauck. He will go on to become a functioning assistant somewhere or an HC in FCS. The less lucky guy will be the next HC at UNLV, one of the more thankless jobs west of the Mississippi.

They look like a 4-8 with that remaining schedule but they have some big names on that coaching staff that are probably going to have to look elsewhere at the end of the year. Typically a coach gets one chance to save his ass by firing some assistants, something Embree didn't compromise on regarding his offensive coordinator. If London can do that he should get at least one more year with the recruiting class to get back to a bowl and look good against the mediocre ACC teams, something I'm not sure this team can do this season.

The problem is London already purged his staff last year after a 4-8 season. OC, DC and numerous assistants are all new. Who gets a second chance to get the offense right and goes for Steve Fairchild?

The problem is London already purged his staff last year after a 4-8 season. OC, DC and numerous assistants are all new. Who gets a second chance to get the offense right and goes for Steve Fairchild?

I thought they made great additions with Tenuta and O'Brien. Fairchild remains puzzling to me, but I hope he's just renting because I think, rightfully or not, he's going to be scapegoated after one year. Might as well promote O'Brien to OC next year. I'm sure he'd do better in the position and wants to head coach again soon, why not let him audition in a role that he shined in during his last stint with the Cavs.

I thought they made great additions with Tenuta and O'Brien. Fairchild remains puzzling to me, but I hope he's just renting because I think, rightfully or not, he's going to be scapegoated after one year. Might as well promote O'Brien to OC next year. I'm sure he'd do better in the position and wants to head coach again soon, why not let him audition in a role that he shined in during his last stint with the Cavs.

I like O'Brien but at 65 I think he's seen the last of his days as a HC, at least at the big time. I'd certainly rather have him calling the plays - he comes from the George Welsh breed of conservative playcalling, but I don't doubt it would be a step up from Fairchild. He'll take over as interim HC when the inevitable happens (next season) and probably rally and make a case for himself (it's not like a lack of talent is the issue), but hiring TOB would be the wrong move. That program needs some outside blood for the next hire, badly. It has its appeal as a top non-blueblood job. You sit right on top of top talent, facilities aren't an issue. The sooner they stop constraining themselves by looking "in the family" the better. Hell, they even had their chance to hire "in the family" Al Golden and didn't in favor of "in the family" Mike London...yeesh.

I like O'Brien but at 65 I think he's seen the last of his days as a HC, at least at the big time. I'd certainly rather have him calling the plays - he comes from the George Welsh breed of conservative playcalling, but I don't doubt it would be a step up from Fairchild. He'll take over as interim HC when the inevitable happens (next season) and probably rally and make a case for himself (it's not like a lack of talent is the issue), but hiring TOB would be the wrong move. That program needs some outside blood for the next hire, badly. It has its appeal as a top non-blueblood job. You sit right on top of top talent, facilities aren't an issue. The sooner they stop constraining themselves by looking "in the family" the better. Hell, they even had their chance to hire "in the family" Al Golden and didn't in favor of "in the family" Mike London...yeesh.

I hear that in the post-game presser that ML said he was looking forward to starting ACC play next week. Sounds like he forgot that they already played Pitt.

I hear that in the post-game presser that ML said he was looking forward to starting ACC play next week. Sounds like he forgot that they already played Pitt.

He said it at least twice. It was cringeworthy.

Anyway, Littlepage has come out and said London is safe and local media voices the same opinion. There's a bunch of things lurking below the surface that play into it, but the short of it is: He becomes far cheaper to fire next year due to a contract clause, they don't want to toss away a recruiting class that includes the #4 and #12 ranked players in the entire nation (rivals), and there just isn't the killer pressure to fire him just yet (fans are pissed, but a lot of sympathizers remain). The young team excuse continues to pop up as well -- they're now in their 6th consecutive year of being "young".

He said it at least twice. It was cringeworthy.

Anyway, Littlepage has come out and said London is safe and local media voices the same opinion. There's a bunch of things lurking below the surface that play into it, but the short of it is: He becomes far cheaper to fire next year due to a contract clause, they don't want to toss away a recruiting class that includes the #4 and #12 ranked players in the entire nation (rivals), and there just isn't the killer pressure to fire him just yet (fans are pissed, but a lot of sympathizers remain). The young team excuse continues to pop up as well -- they're now in their 6th consecutive year of being "young".

Heyyyy. This sounds familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heyyyy. This sounds familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 to 1 in penalties on Saturday. It's like watching a slightly more competent Embree who was forced to surround himself with experienced coordinators over the past offseason. London is a smart guy, which makes it all the more puzzling why he patrols the sidelines with a "who farted?" look except for when he's complaining to refs or chest bumping players and waving his arms at the crowd on the rare occasions that things go well.

Coming off of another ugly loss Sunday is this Kubiak's last year in Houston?

If so could his next stop be aTm? It looks like Sumlin may be the hottest name after this season with USC, UT, and some others being open. Sumlin may also be interested in taking a shot at the NFL. He may also be interested in leaving since Manzel is also likely to be gone after this year.

If Sumlin leaves and Kubiak is fired it could be a logical place for him to land. I also think that he would do well as a college level coach if they give him a little bit of time to adjust.

Kubiak's gone. Anything short of making it past the wild card round of the playoffs will result in a pink slip, IMO.

How long before Kubiak's name surfaces in places like LA or Austin?

Don't think that he would end up in Austin. He fits the profile for them, big name, native Texan, etc. but I don't see them hiring an Aggie. If he had gone to just about any other school they would be fine but aTm is looked at a lot different.

I could see SC going after him but don't know if he is "Hollywood" enough for them.

Pro coaches tend to stay in the pros but he doesn't have enough of a resume to be a priority for other pro teams. I also think he may be much better suited for the college game. I can see him liking having full control. I can also see him being a solid closer in recruiting, especially in Texas.

Don't think that he would end up in Austin. He fits the profile for them, big name, native Texan, etc. but I don't see them hiring an Aggie. If he had gone to just about any other school they would be fine but aTm is looked at a lot different.

I could see SC going after him but don't know if he is "Hollywood" enough for them.

Pro coaches tend to stay in the pros but he doesn't have enough of a resume to be a priority for other pro teams. I also think he may be much better suited for the college game. I can see him liking having full control. I can also see him being a solid closer in recruiting, especially in Texas.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him take a year off coaching and end up at a non FBS school in Texas if A&M isn't available.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him take a year off coaching and end up at a non FBS school in Texas if A&M isn't available.

The year off wouldn't surprise me at all. I very much doubt he would go below BCS level or need to.

After this experience in Houston he may not have a lot of appetite for more NFL even if it is offered. Coming from the NFL and being a Texas kid he is unlikely to need to even leave the state. At least one FBS level job is likely to open in Texas in the next two years. Sumlin is going to be in high demand both in college and potentially the NFL. Broyles may be going to UT or elsewhere, TTU Coach Kingsbury may end up getting hired away as well and rumors have always swirled around Gary Patterson at TCU.

Back to Grambling, interim coach is out. Sounds like they pulled the trigger too early and should have at least waited until the end of the season to fire Doug Williams. It doesn't look good to have a players mutiny. Weren't we scheduled to play these guys at some point? They're no longer on the schedule for 2015. They do sound like a team they could use whatever money they could get.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ing-players-walk-out-on-meeting-skip-practice

Grambling? Um, who gives a rat's ass? No offense.

No offense taken. The thread started out with their first firing. They did use to be good, before desegregation. And, at some point we were scheduled to play them. I think it's somewhat relevant.

Ah. Thanks. I did not read the entire thread.....I jumped to the conclusion from your post that we have fallen even further into the depths of irrelevancy by analyzing Grambling.

That mess at Grambling is a shame. Way to much drama. Those kids need to buffup, go to practice and keep trying. They need to be thankful they are on scholarship and show respect to the school. CU is a great example to them - our kids have been showing up to practices, getting kicked in the teeth every Saturday, been through three different coaches. I guess we can be thankful we are not in their mess.

That mess at Grambling is a shame. Way to much drama. Those kids need to buffup, go to practice and keep trying. They need to be thankful they are on scholarship and show respect to the school. CU is a great example to them - our kids have been showing up to practices, getting kicked in the teeth every Saturday, been through three different coaches. I guess we can be thankful we are not in their mess.

Their football team has gone as far refusing to play their next game. From the article, it seems like this goes way beyond just football reasons. The team has DEMANDED that the President of the university be fired...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_c2

Toby Neinas weighs in on the situation on twitter...

It's easy to say they should play the game and they're on scholarship, etc. I don't disagree with that viewpoint. At the same time though, these kids did take a stand. Their facilities are falling apart, they are busing to games when their peers are flying, and they're missing meals. On top of that, they fired a popular coach. Faced with the threat of losing their scholarships, they didn't back down, I have some respect for that. Grambling has to come together before they forfeit their season, I'm sure a large chunk or their athletic budget is based on the bayou classic on national tv at the end of the season. For that reason alone, the school will have to appease these players somehow.

Now if only we could throw Toby Neinas off of the bus.

Last edited:
Does anyone give a **** about Toby's opinion on anything? And I'm one of the few here that has given him a semi pass on the ****ty special teams this year. STFU and just coach/ recruit to make CU Football better. If you want a job where you can sprout off opinions to the public than go apply for Root Sports, ESPN or Fox commentating job.

No reason whatsoever for Toby to be commentating on Twitter (which is a public forum) about his thoughts on Grambling football. You are the damn special teams coach for Pete's sake.

Last edited:
Does anyone give a **** about Toby's opinion on anything? And I'm one of the few here that has given him a semi pass on the ****ty special teams this year. STFU and just coach/ recruit to make CU Football better. If you want a job where you can sprout off opinions to the public than go apply for Root Sports, ESPN or Fox commentating job.

No reason whatsoever for Toby to be commentating on Twitter (which is a public forum) about his thoughts on Grambling football. You are the damn special teams coach for Pete's sake.
I know I don't, unless it's his opinion on which moving company he prefers....

Virginia blows 22-0 lead at home to Duke, trailing 35-22 now. I thought they'd scrape out a win or two and London would be safe, but it's looking like 2-10. Blowing a 22 point lead at home to Duke was the one thing that simply could not happen.

Virginia blows 22-0 lead at home to Duke, trailing 35-22 now. I thought they'd scrape out a win or two and London would be safe, but it's looking like 2-10. Blowing a 22 point lead at home to Duke was the one thing that simply could not happen.

35 unanswered from Duke? That's a paddlin'.

There was even a "Fire London" sign down at Clemson this morning

Last edited:
Back