What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-2014 Bracketology

I didn't even know my own bracketology as I picked Arizona to win the PAC-12. Arizona is the best team obviously in the PAC-12. Obviously I need to study the conference more. Another case of East Coast Bias.

I used to suffer from that bias before I moved west. Always ended up over-rating the Big East, ACC and B1G while under-rating the Big 12 and, more so, the Pac-12.

Good morning everyone,

I'm going to get flak for this but I think Jahii Carson and ASU are going to beat out Colorado. Oregon lost too much senior talent and Colorado lost too much production in Roberson. I understand Dinwiddie is going to be your guy but who's going to step up to support him--Booker? As of now, Colorado is out and it will surprise many. Totally understand those who disagree with me.

www.explorertownbracketologist.com

Good morning everyone,

I'm going to get flak for this but I think Jahii Carson and ASU are going to beat out Colorado. Oregon lost too much senior talent and Colorado lost too much production in Roberson. I understand Dinwiddie is going to be your guy but who's going to step up to support him--Booker? As of now, Colorado is out and it will surprise many. Totally understand those who disagree with me.

Don't quit your day job...or, quit your day job and find something else that you can actually build a future on. It isn't bracketology or sports writing.

Don't quit your day job...or, quit your day job and find something else that you can actually build a future on. It isn't bracketology or sports writing.

It really is just awful, and that's putting it nicely. There is just so much fail in this bracket.

Good morning everyone,

To counter, I can say....

I understand Carson is going to be your guy but who's going to step up and support him - Bachynski? As of now, ASU is out and it will surprise no one.

You do know that Felix and Gordon are both gone from ASU, right? Don't get me wrong, I can understand having questions about CU, but ASU? No. No no no no no no no no.

I have no issue with all the disagreement. That's the fun behind bracketology. Granted, it's very difficult to put together a bracket no there's really no quantiative data like RPI or SOS because the schedules have not been released yet. So roster movement is really the only qualitative data I'm working with. With that said, Jonathan Gilling will be the guy that needs to step up to support Carson. He had a solid year last year as a Sophomore.

Additionally, if it isn't ASU, then it's going to be Oregon who knocks you out. The question you have to worry about is, will Mike Moser get his form back of two years ago. He was a complete monster two years ago. If he can replicate that season, it could spell disaster for you.

Thanks for looking.

I have no issue with all the disagreement. That's the fun behind bracketology. Granted, it's very difficult to put together a bracket no there's really no quantiative data like RPI or SOS because the schedules have not been released yet. So roster movement is really the only qualitative data I'm working with. With that said, Jonathan Gilling will be the guy that needs to step up to support Carson. He had a solid year last year as a Sophomore.

The Jonathan Gilling who put up 9.7 pts & 6.1 boards a game as a sophomore? Whereas Xavier Johnson put up 8.9 and 4.7 as a freshman? You're expecting Gilling to carry the team to the tourney but not XJ?

The Jonathan Gilling who put up 9.7 pts & 6.1 boards a game as a sophomore? Whereas Xavier Johnson put up 8.9 and 4.7 as a freshman? You're expecting Gilling to carry the team to the tourney but not XJ?

Speaking of XJ, do you think he would have been rated even higher in the Top 100 if Katin hadn't dominated the ball so much on his high school team?

Code:

Jahii Carson is going to carry the team. Roll the dice. It's either going to be ASU or Oregon. I have to see Mike Moser recover from last season before I put weight into Oregon.

Jahii Carson is going to carry the team. Roll the dice. It's either going to be ASU or Oregon. I have to see Mike Moser recover from last season before I put weight into Oregon.

Oregon and Colorado can BOTH make the tourney. You know that, right? This isn't the Pac-12 of two years ago where no one deserved. There are four legitimately GOOD teams.

Good morning everyone,

I dont mean to be rude, but did you smoke crack before you made this bracket or do you just not follow college basketball and threw darts at a board. Yes, Jahii Carson is going to put ASU on his back and carry his team with 20+ points a night. But is that enough to make the tourney, no. They will have Carson (18.5ppg and possible All-American), Bachynski (9.8ppg), and Gilling (9.7ppg). They lost both Felix (14.6ppg) and Gordon (10.1). I don't see anywhere in there that they have a solid team other than Carson. As for Oregon, they lose 4 seniors that made their team go. They do bring in some key freshman/transfers that will make them contend in the Pac-12.

Now to Colorado, we are returning 4 of 5 starters: Dinwiddie (15.3ppg), Booker (12.4ppg), Scott (10.2ppg and he missed two games with a concussion) and Johnson (8.9 ppg and he didn't even hit his stride until Pac-12 play). Not to mention the Top 30 recruiting class we bring in to compliment our two Redshirt Freshman Gordon (Top 150 PF) and Jenkins. But we also have our secret weapon, Tad Boyle.

So once again, did you throw darts at a board and hoped for the best, or do you not watch college basketball?

Last edited:
Oregon and Colorado can BOTH make the tourney. You know that, right? This isn't the Pac-12 of two years ago where no one deserved. There are four legitimately GOOD teams.

Of course Oregon and Colorado can both make it. Any conference can have any combination or have an additional At-Large. For the PAC 12 I'm sticking with no more than 5 teams in. I'm uncomfortable with 6. But you never know what will happen it the world of college basketball. It's very unpredictable at times. That's why I'm doing this instead of gambling:)

I just do not understand your logic for us not making the dance. Dre wasn't our best player, Spencer is. We started 2 freshman and 2 sophomores...they are all back and one is a lottery pick, two others were top 100 players, both of which were freshman last year. We add three players that are 4*'s along with Gordon and Jenkins, one of which is a excellent defender and the other is a shooter. The fact that you have Stanford as a 5 seed throws what little credibility you may have had out the window.

From the Pac-12 side:

1. Arizona should be much higher then a #4 seed. I'd be fairly surprised if they weren't a #2 seed, if not #1.

2. Arizona State lost too much for Carson to carry them, certainly at the expense of talented teams like CU and Oregon

3. It's certainly possible that Stanford makes a NCAA tournament run, but it'd be a surprise to most people if they were a top 5 seed in the tournament. They might be the most veteran savvy team in the conference with 4 seniors and 1 junior possibly starting

4. CU will miss Roberson defensively. His ability to match up against another team's best offensive player was obviously a great asset. But offensively CU should be better without Andre. I expect Scott, Johnson and Dinwiddie to all be better players then last year for CU. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Johnson play a lot of minutes at PF, which could allow talented freshman Tre'Shaun Fletcher to get significant minutes at SF.

Not to be overly critical but dunno what you could be smoking to think Texas is a NCAA tournament team. There is no way that team is anywhere close to as good as Iowa State, K-State or even West Virginia next year. They'll be closer to being the 10th best team in the Big XII, then they are to being seeded #10 in the NCAA's.

I just do not understand your logic for us not making the dance. Dre wasn't our best player, Spencer is. We started 2 freshman and 2 sophomores...they are all back and one is a lottery pick, two others were top 100 players, both of which were freshman last year. We add three players that are 4*'s along with Gordon and Jenkins, one of which is a excellent defender and the other is a shooter. The fact that you have Stanford as a 5 seed throws what little credibility you may have had out the window.

My logic is you have a team with depth but you're missing the stud that every team needs to make the touranment push. Roberson was your stud and maybe Dinwiddie will fulfill that stud role. But Booker and Scott are going to have to really provide a lot of production when Dinwiddie has an off night. I'm going with a team that already has a stud that will be back next year. Bachynski and Gilling can provide that support and new transfer Sai Tummala will provide the 3 ball to help Carson out with scoring.

Oregon has the same stud potential in Mike Moser. Question is which Mike Moser will show up? The one from two years ago? If so Oregon will be tough. So getting back to the base question, who's your stud? I get it if it's going to be Dinwiddie. I think there are better studs on other PAC 12 teams.

Other then Aaron Gordon perhaps, there's not a better player in the conference then Dinwiddie.

My logic is you have a team with depth but you're missing the stud that every team needs to make the touranment push. Roberson was your stud and maybe Dinwiddie will fulfill that stud role. But Booker and Scott are going to have to really provide a lot of production when Dinwiddie has an off night. I'm going with a team that already has a stud that will be back next year. Bachynski and Gilling can provide that support and new transfer Sai Tummala will provide the 3 ball to help Carson out with scoring.

Oregon has the same stud potential in Mike Moser. Question is which Mike Moser will show up? The one from two years ago? If so Oregon will be tough. So getting back to the base question, who's your stud? I get it if it's going to be Dinwiddie. I think there are better studs on other PAC 12 teams.

But do you "get" that only one name has been associated with the Lottery? Who is that you may ask? Oh wait it's Spencer ****ing Dinwiddie.

From the Pac-12 side:

1. Arizona should be much higher then a #4 seed. I'd be fairly surprised if they weren't a #2 seed, if not #1.

2. Arizona State lost too much for Carson to carry them, certainly at the expense of talented teams like CU and Oregon

3. It's certainly possible that Stanford makes a NCAA tournament run, but it'd be a surprise to most people if they were a top 5 seed in the tournament. They might be the most veteran savvy team in the conference with 4 seniors and 1 junior possibly starting

4. CU will miss Roberson defensively. His ability to match up against another team's best offensive player was obviously a great asset. But offensively CU should be better without Andre. I expect Scott, Johnson and Dinwiddie to all be better players then last year for CU. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Johnson play a lot of minutes at PF, which could allow talented freshman Tre'Shaun Fletcher to get significant minutes at SF.

Not to be overly critical but dunno what you could be smoking to think Texas is a NCAA tournament team. There is no way that team is anywhere close to as good as Iowa State, K-State or even West Virginia next year. They'll be closer to being the 10th best team in the Big XII, then they are to being seeded #10 in the NCAA's.

You might be right. I can see Arizona stealing a top seed. If they are better this year than last year, they could. They were pretty good last year and were only a #6 seed.

Iowa State, are they still eligible for the NCAA tournament with the investigations going on? I will until the investigations are over before I put them in.

You might be right about Texas. Losing Kabongo is huge. But the Big 12 will get four teams in. We'll see who that fourth team is. It very well could be Iowa State.

And you shouldn't label an outsider trying to promote discussion as spam.

Last edited:

You're not making much sense.

Spencer Dinwiddie was first team all-Pac 12 last year. He was part of the All-Pac 12 freshmen team the year before. He's been the NCAA tournament twice in two years. You're saying Spencer can't make the tournament push, but Jahii Carson can? Just like Carson, Josh Scott was part of the All-Pac 12 freshmen team. How much more studly can you get?

Nevermind that Tad Boyle has produced back to back to back 20+ seasons at Colorado. He lost 80% of his team's scoring between the 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 seasons. All he did was take his 2011-2012 team to the NCAA round of 32 with a conference tournament championship along the way. Are you really doubting this guy with 4 of 5 starters returning? Nevermind the solid recruiting class we have joining the team this summer or the redshirts who will be eligible this year. We lose a great defender and rebounder, but Andre was never able to consistent create his own shot. I'm not sure why we have to count on Scott, Dinwiddie and/or Booker to make up for Roberson's absence in that category. Nevermind the RPI issue. Maybe Herb figured it out this year, but the Buffs were top 30 RPI for most of the season. With a OOC slate which includes Kansas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Harvard, Colorado State and others, you can be sure we'll be right back in the top 30 RPI mix.

And if you really want to see what this team may look like post-Andre then look no further than our March 7th contest vs Oregon. We knocked off the Ducks by 23 points without Andre. Two weeks later, Oregon was in the Sweet 16 with a conference tournament title to their name (Oh ya, we beat those guys in Eugene, too).

Last edited:

With all due respect, you do not know **** about CU or the PAC 12. Go read up and then come back because you are way off base on your claims.

New guy with a website, to restate what we have already so crudely stated: You are generating discussion without the requisite knowledge of the Pac12 to back it up. You use terms like "stud" in an attempt to hide the fact you are going off nothing more than name recognition of those you have caught in an espn story along with scoring per game and other basic stats that don't reveal the whole picture. As has been pointed out repeatedly, your dismissal of the Mayor (or Mr. Dinwiddie to you) is basically the beginning and the end of all we need to know about your "analysis."

For instance, the Mayor had a bigger win share % than Andre Roberson and his Adjusted +/- and general offensive anything is, by far, the highest on the team. Source? JGisland's excellent compilation on this very website: http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....in-Shares-and-Adjusted-for-the-last-5-seasons. And that's not even counting the intangibles that Tad Boyle brings to the table or the fact that for the very first time in his tenure at CU, he won't be replacing the near entirety of his starting lineup.

Now, please compare that with your boy Jahii Carson's stuff, since that's all you need to make this call, apparently.

You're higher than a kite, literally. Spencer Dinwiddie is going to be a lottery pick next year. Dre's rebounding was ridiculous, but his offense was so-so. Dinwiddie isn't a PF/C and he relies on his offensive savvy, which he has plenty of. He had 8 games where he scored 20+ points (24 vs TX SO, 24 vs WYO, 29 vs CSU, 23 vs UCLA, 24 vs OR ST, 21 vs ZONA, 24 vs ASU and 20 vs ZONA). Not to mention the 27 double digit scoring games he had last year. Dinwiddie is overall a far better prospect than Roberson and was our best player last year. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that you are even comparing ASU to Colorado. There is no comparison. ASU will not make it to March Madness this year.

I also saw Hawaii in there (I'm from Hawaii, and once again, you're high). Did you just look at there conference closed your eyes and picked a team? They have to contend against Long Beach State and lost Vander Joaquim their best player. And Texas, give me a break. Where do you even find them making it?

Back