What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-2014 Non-Conference Schedule Predictions

I don't get this losing to Harvard idea. Yes they are a good team, but so are we, and we have a big home court advantage. If it was a road game I'd say it's a probable loss but not at home.

And I just don't get the CSU loss prediction, at all.

No more crimson kool-aid----They beat UNM last year in the Dance, but Steve Alford teams have a history of losing to people they shouldn't in the tournament.......

So given your wildly generous 80% ish chance for winning each game individually, it is still only a 64% chance that CU wins both, and you are unable to comprehend how people can argue that we will be losing at least one of those games?

(note: even at a 70% chance to win each game individually, CU has less than a 50% chance of winning both games).

Isn't math fun......

So given your wildly generous 80% ish chance for winning each game individually, it is still only a 64% chance that CU wins both, and you are unable to comprehend how people can argue that we will be losing at least one of those games?

(note: even at a 70% chance to win each game individually, CU has less than a 50% chance of winning both games).
It was actually 75% and 80% so actually 60%. And I'm not calling it a lock, I just don't see how anyone can call either a loss at this juncture. I'm pretty over this debate though, none of us are going to change each others opinions on the matter. You're a pessimistic asshole and I'm a sunshine pumping asshole.

I am interested to see what the odds are when Live-RPI and RealTimeRPI release the odds for each game and all that jazz though.

we're 34.2% in winning true road games under Tad. 37.1% if you want to claim Arizona. Chances are we're not suddenly going to become road warriors and go 10-1 on the road. Should we be improved on the road? Yes. Are we still going to have at least a few "meh" losses on the road? Yes.

It was actually 75% and 80% so actually 60%. And I'm not calling it a lock, I just don't see how anyone can call either a loss at this juncture. I'm pretty over this debate though, none of us are going to change each others opinions on the matter. You're a pessimistic asshole and I'm a sunshine pumping asshole.

I am interested to see what the odds are when Live-RPI and RealTimeRPI release the odds for each game and all that jazz though.
the argument is that you can't see how anyone could possibly see CU not winning both games and berating them for thinking so. Do you want me to quote that?

and ya, you probably won't get such high % from those two sources.

the argument is that you can't see how anyone could possibly see CU not winning both games and berating them for thinking so. Do you want me to quote that?

and ya, you probably won't get such high % from those two sources.

I don't think it's berating so much as bewilderment. It would be like if CU was ranked #20 in football and people were predicting a 1-3 start.

This isn't a hard concept. This is a tough schedule. We will lose some games. We are ranked 22nd in ESPN's poll, however KU, Baylor and Okie Lite are all ranked variously more favorably than CU. This was before Wiggins. Personally, I'd guess 1-2 from those 3.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball

Totally agree, 1-2 losses out of those 3 is exactly what I think is going to happen as well. However, I have a hard time believing that we are going to lose to Harvard at home, CSU and Air Force.

we're 34.2% in winning true road games under Tad. 37.1% if you want to claim Arizona. Chances are we're not suddenly going to become road warriors and go 10-1 on the road. Should we be improved on the road? Yes. Are we still going to have at least a few "meh" losses on the road? Yes.

Again, Tad Boyle finally has a deep, loaded roster for the first time at CU. Everyone has meh losses on the road, but csu or afa would be what the hell happened losses. This CU roster has no business losing to AFA, CSU, or WYO. Pointing out the previous WYO losses has no meaning. Completely different CU playing a completely different WYO team this year, and its in Boulder, so the officiiating wont be laughably in favor of them.

Again, Tad Boyle finally has a deep, loaded roster for the first time at CU. Everyone has meh losses on the road, but csu or afa would be what the hell happened losses. This CU roster has no business losing to AFA, CSU, or WYO. Pointing out the previous WYO losses has no meaning. Completely different CU playing a completely different WYO team this year, and its in Boulder, so the officiiating wont be laughably in favor of them.

Wyoming on the road is completely applicable, let alone in a thread where people are bringing up comparisons to football left and right. It's yet another example of CU's struggles on the road against the MWC programs of the Front Range. It's not going to magically change because we're a fringe top 25 team this year with a handful of young pieces who will be experiencing their first true road games at AFA and CSU.. CSU on the road is always going to be a tough environment for CU to walk away with a W as long as Eustachy is there. They're not going to make the NCAA tournament this year, it's not as though they're suddenly going to be a sub-250 opponent.

CU has more depth, that's great. That doesn't mean we'll magically have a clear identity on offense and not devolve into running the "cluster...." so commonly seen last season - especially on the road - when things got hostile. Depth brings its own new challenges that can hinder you from your potential early in a season: Cohesion. Lineups.

We probably beat Air Force. Colorado State is borderline toss-up.

Last edited:

Even given 'Tini's optimistic outlook. The probability of CU going 3-0 against AFA, CSU and WYO is 54%. The odds say dropping one of those 3 is nearly as likely as not.

You're also no longer able to comment or point out any CU wins as reference if CU losses aren't to be counted. If the WYO loss on the road means nothing, neither does the Arizona win at home. Completely different teams.

Last edited:
Look at the names that Dustin and Jaron appear with in this video. They made this game because they are high major recruits, we aren't bringing in schmucks to play at CU. Sometimes I think CU fans want to fail out of some strange affinity for self loathing. Thankfully, 8-5 is not going to happen. We are going 11-2 or 10-3 in the non-con and are winning around 25 games before the tournament. I won't rub it in with an "I told you so" attitude when it happens, I just hope you all develop a stronger confidence in our program and coach Boyle.

[video=youtube;oxtbereHpu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxtbereHpu0[/video]

Last edited:
Look at the names that Dustin and Jaron appear with in this video. They made this game because they are high major recruits, we aren't bringing in schmucks to play at CU. Sometimes I think CU fans want to fail out of some strange affinity for self loathing. Thankfully, it's not going to happen, we are going 11-2 or 10-3 in the non-con and are winning around 25 games before the tournament. I won't rub it in with an "I told you so" attitude when it happens, I just hope you all develop a stronger confidence in our program and coach Boyle.

[video=youtube;oxtbereHpu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxtbereHpu0[/video]

You do realize that last yr's incoming class was higher rated than this yr's right?

You do realize that last yr's incoming class was higher rated than this yr's right?

I certainly doesnt seem like people realize that in this thread does it.

On paper these kids are about as likely to contribute as Gordon was coming in.

The 2012 class contributed prolifically to the tournament team in 2012-2013. Somehow that means that the best guard out of Arizona and a top-10 forward out of Texas are not going to contribute to the 2013-2014 team.

Nothing you say will convince me that this is not a Sweet-16 team, because it demonstrably is. Everyone in the country acknowledges it, but somehow CU fans don't. Interesting.

Nothing you say will convince me that this is not a Sweet-16 team, because it demonstrably is. Everyone in the country acknowledges it, but somehow CU fans don't. Interesting.

Some people think they have Sweet 16 potential, very few are saying they are a lock for the sweet 16. Reality is pretty much nobody is. Even the KU's, Duke's, Kentucky's have come in with very talked about rosters, and have been upset early in the tournament.

The 2012 class contributed prolifically to the tournament team in 2012-2013. Somehow that means that the best guard out of Arizona and a top-10 forward out of Texas are not going to contribute to the 2013-2014 team.

oh really? who?

4 years ago, who would have thought there would be a 10 page thread discussing Colorado's basketball schedule?

You just ventured into delusional, the 2 players who contributed last year were alternately ranked in the top-40 to 60 in the country, both as good or better than Dom Collier is currently.

Jaron Hopkins was highly ranked as a PG a position he didnt play as a senior and likely wont play here, while Thomas was the number 8 guy out of texas on the staff's board, comparing him to Scott is stupid.

cntrl-F leads me to find nothing that says this in any of your links:

You just ventured into delusional, the 2 players who contributed last year were alternately ranked in the top-40 to 60 in the country, both as good or better than Dom Collier is currently.

Jaron Hopkins was highly ranked as a PG a position he didnt play as a senior and likely wont play here, while Thomas was the number 8 guy out of texas on the staff's board, comparing him to Scott is stupid.

Please provide for me any substantial evidence that this will not be a highly seeded tournament team, I would love to see it. Are the ESPN analysts wrong? Is CBS wrong? Is SB nation wrong? Why should I believe your opinion over them, what are your qualifications? The only thing that is delusional here is your unyielding pessimism.

Here you go 41, Tini same offer to you: if we go 10-3 or better in the OOC and win 25 before the conf tourney I'll make 1k donation in your name to Boyle's program, HOWEVER if we go 9-4 win 22 or less and dont make the sweet-16 you do the same for me.

Sweet16 is your trump, even if we go 9-4 and only win 22 but make the sweet-16 the bet isnt payable.

Please provide for me any substantial evidence that this will not be a highly seeded tournament team, I would love to see it. Are the ESPN analysts wrong? Is CBS wrong? Is SB nation wrong? Why should I believe your opinion over them, what are your qualifications? The only thing that is delusional here is your unyielding pessimism.

I am not saying we wont be a highly ranked tourney team, we can go 9-4 follow that with a 3rd place in the pac reg season win a couple in the tourney and get a 5-7 seed which would be great. What I am saying is you ****ers dont get math, seem not to realize this years class wasnt better than last years, that we put our best player in to the league, and that in college basketball NO ONE goes undefeated, even the schools with the talent to go undefeated lose 4-6 games every year.

I am not saying we wont be a highly ranked tourney team, we can go 9-4 follow that with a 3rd place in the pac reg season win a couple in the tourney and get a 5-7 seed which would be great. What I am saying is you ****ers dont get math, seem not to realize this years class wasnt better than last years, that we put our best player in to the league, and that in college basketball NO ONE goes undefeated, even the schools with the talent to go undefeated lose 4-6 games every year.

We aren't saying that we're going to go undefeated, I said 10-3 or 11-2. William Whelan who analyzes this team for Rivals predicted 11-2, and he has a massively expansive knowledge of college basketball. I would say he knows more about it than anyone on this board.

On the player ratings. I keep bringing up this example because it is so cogently clear. Wichita State was a phenomenal team last year that went to the Final Four because they were long and athletic. I've researched their recruiting over the last four years and they had all 3 and 2* players who were developed by their great coaching staff, similarly to Boyle. Who cares about the rankings if you know the players you have coming in are good?

On your bet. I am a recent graduate and can't afford 1k, but I would gladly buy you a beer.

Last edited:
apparently being in the top 20 or 25 means CU is a consensus sweet 16 team. This math problem is really ****ing hard.

On your bet. I am a recent graduate and can't afford 1k, but I would gladly buy you a beer.

Tell you what if i lose 'll buy you a buffclub membership if you dont have one. You lose I'll take the beer.

I certainly doesnt seem like people realize that in this thread does it.

On paper these kids are about as likely to contribute as Gordon was coming in.
I posted a while back about how many top 150 kids didn't contribute from last year's class. I believe the number was in the 20s and half those were academic or injury casualties. These kids are all going to see minutes aside from maybe one. The previous class was rated higher because of 2 guys being ranked in the 60s.

I posted a while back about how many top 150 kids didn't contribute from last year's class. I believe the number was in the 20s and half those were academic or injury casualties. These kids are all going to see minutes aside from maybe one. The previous class was rated higher because of 2 guys being ranked in the 60s.

Wes Gordon was a fringe 100-150 guy depending on your choice of service.

Back