What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Colorado @ Oregon State Game official thread

I know this is moot but how did the beavers defer and have the wind in the fourth. It didn't matter but if this was a game it could've.

I know this is moot but how did the beavers defer and have the wind in the fourth. It didn't matter but if this was a game it could've.

1. Team A wins toss and defers.
2. Team B takes the ball.
3. Team A gets to choose side of field they defend.

Excuse me if I am wrong but if team A wins the toss and defers team B gets to decide what endzone to defend, right? How does it make sense that you defer and get to choose the endzone to defend?

Nope. If Team A says they want the ball, then Team B gets to select side. By deferring to the 2nd half, you get to select the side you'll defend for the game. If there's any kind of weather as a factor, it's almost always the right call to defer. Team B could choose to go on defense and get the option of which goal to defend, but then Team A would get the ball to start each half. I don't know if I've ever seen such bad weather that a coach elected to give up an offensive possession in order to get the wind at his back in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Back