What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Official Uniform Thread.

The weird thing in this for me is that, coming from a marketing background, it's not the normal way of doing things to have inconsistent branding.

I think that this multiple uniforms craze is a fad that is reaching its apex. It only works if there's a novelty to it. Now that everyone's doing it, it's becoming increasingly less interesting. It has also gotten to the point where it's impossible to know what teams are playing just by the uniforms.

If I was running things at CU, I might zig where everyone else is zagging. Do the pro combat all the kids seem to like, but keep it gold pants and gold helmet with the CU logo. Black shirts at home. White shirts on the road. When CU plays, people should have no doubt what team is on their television.

The weird thing in this for me is that, coming from a marketing background, it's not the normal way of doing things to have inconsistent branding.

I think that this multiple uniforms craze is a fad that is reaching its apex. It only works if there's a novelty to it. Now that everyone's doing it, it's becoming increasingly less interesting. It has also gotten to the point where it's impossible to know what teams are playing just by the uniforms.

If I was running things at CU, I might zig where everyone else is zagging. Do the pro combat all the kids seem to like, but keep it gold pants and gold helmet with the CU logo. Black shirts at home. White shirts on the road. When CU plays, people should have no doubt what team is on their television.

Although I'm all for a few tweaks to the uniforms, my experience as a trademark attorney is exactly the same. We always stress to clients the importance of uniformity, otherwise the trademark (or trade dress in this case) ceases to identify the goods or services (i.e., team). An argument can be made an element of Oregon's trade dress is the constantly changing neon uniforms, but other teams would have a tougher time making such a case. Having uniforms that are constantly redesigned (Maryland comes to mind) ultimately weakens the strength of the overall brand. This is why you saw very little changes when Nike took over the NFL contract last year. NFL teams don't need to change uniforms for the recruiting aspect and didn't want to damage their trademark and trade dress rights.

Anyway, good post Nik.

Although I'm all for a few tweaks to the uniforms, my experience as a trademark attorney is exactly the same. We always stress to clients the importance of uniformity, otherwise the trademark (or trade dress in this case) ceases to identify the goods or services (i.e., team). An argument can be made an element of Oregon's trade dress is the constantly changing neon uniforms, but other teams would have a tougher time making such a case. Having uniforms that are constantly redesigned (Maryland comes to mind) ultimately weakens the strength of the overall brand. This is why you saw very little changes when Nike took over the NFL contract last year. NFL teams don't need to change uniforms for the recruiting aspect and didn't want to damage their trademark and trade dress rights.

Anyway, good post Nik.

:yeahthat:

Good point on brand. The CU brand has always been about tradition, something we talk a lot about (90' champions, award winners, etc). So the uniforms have reflected that traditional brand identity for some time.

Dan didn't like our traditions, so he ditched our old school uni combos. Embo was a part of the traditions, so he made the unis even more throw back. Now that we've hit a long stretch of time from our winning ways, I would be ok with forging a new brand approach. Doesn't have to be Oregon flashy, but from what I see with Mac, we're going to be modern (pistol offense) but with a serious work ethic (Foreman). Could see some good ideas emerging from those concepts.

I've been a pretty strong opponent of stupid uniform updates on these threads, historically.

But I think the Florida helmet in the OP looks pretty good.

I like our current uniforms, but am open to a few updates that make them cleaner. I love where our helmet is right now, but matte black for blackout games? Why not!

who decides? the coach? or does nike just run with it? then there is a decision made by?? read somewhere that oregon lets some players (seniors) actually design? I know nothing, please help

who decides? the coach? or does nike just run with it? then there is a decision made by?? read somewhere that oregon lets some players (seniors) actually design? I know nothing, please help

AD and Coaches are involved in the design process. They have the final say. At Oregon the freshman class gets to design a uniform to be worn during the bowl game of their senior season.

AD and Coaches are involved in the design process. They have the final say. At Oregon the freshman class gets to design a uniform to be worn during the bowl game of their senior season.
I'm sort of wondering what happens to this promise when the post-season ban hammer eventually comes down.

Buffnik's post and azbuff's reply got it right. Radical redesigns are a fad and largely ridiculous. Combinations of the school colors silver and gold plus the accepted "sport" color black without any silly accents are just fine. Black jerseys at home, white jerseys on the road. These jerseys combined with one of the colors for pants and gold helmets would be OK. Maybe silver helmets if silver pants were used once in a while. The short periods of sky blue and all white are aberrations that I hope to never see again.

Buffnik's post and azbuff's reply got it right. Radical redesigns are a fad and largely ridiculous. Combinations of the school colors silver and gold plus the accepted "sport" color black without any silly accents are just fine. Black jerseys at home, white jerseys on the road. These jerseys combined with one of the colors for pants and gold helmets would be OK. Maybe silver helmets if silver pants were used once in a while. The short periods of sky blue and all white are aberrations that I hope to never see again.

I have to agree. Going 'Oregon' 5 years ago might have given us a recruitng bump, but that ship has sailed. Our colors are awesome. Stick with them.

It must be a budget issue too - unless Nike is giving you the stuff, it must cost a fortune to have 12 different helmets, and jerseys for 85 players (plus walk ons). And how does that work with Title 9? The girl's basketball team would need to change uniforms at every timeout to keep up.

It must be a budget issue too - unless Nike is giving you the stuff, it must cost a fortune to have 12 different helmets, and jerseys for 85 players (plus walk ons). And how does that work with Title 9? The girl's basketball team would need to change uniforms at every timeout to keep up.

We are not a DII school. We get free Nike stuff. They pay us money.

I'd like to see our uniforms include more silver and less gold as an alternative uniform. I know god forbid looking like the raiders but I think it would look badass.

We are not a DII school. We get free Nike stuff. They pay us money.

I know there's a contract, but I don't think we can just call Nike and tell them that instead of 100 sets of uniforms for the 2013 season, we now want 1,200.

I think the the Buffalo and the occasional classy CU symbol can be switched every once in a while. but the CU would be an 8 or so while the buffalo is off the charts.

ty6ugade.jpg

Army

I just want to say good job Michigan. They do changes to their helmet without going stupid.

In reference to the ole miss helmets:

Is this an effing joke? Is the team planning on growing the grass really long so they can hide players in it?

Love those michigan ones. I'd like the buffs to have a matte helmet. They're getting so prevalent now though, kind of lacks originality.

Damn CU, always following up the rear. Always a day late and dollar short, so to speak. Never in the forefront. Not innovative. Have I left anything out? By the time we get anything going, the next trend will have started.

Damn CU, always following up the rear. Always a day late and dollar short, so to speak. Never in the forefront. Not innovative. Have I left anything out? By the time we get anything going, the next trend will have started.

Yep.

Sounds like nothing this year and changes next year:pissed:

not being a trendy type guy myself...but, the kids we are trying to recruit in sure are

Back