What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Spring Game Preview Show

We have 4 months to figure out how to tackle and how to get to the QB. Our offense will score more points this year on concepts/philosophy alone. Powell/Ford will be a good duo.

Oh ok lol. Wood throws a pretty pass no doubt about that. But anyone can look comfortable with no pass rush.
Ok but given the fact that none of the QB's had a true pass rush kind of really negates your point. Wood was clearly the best QB out there and has been. He has earned the #1 spot heading into the fall.

Didn't hear anything about Josh Ford in this game. Did he play and not have any carries or nothing impressive?

Also where are the stats for the game? Can't find them anywhere.

I'm encouraged that we have a qb taking the job, good sign. Mac2 said Abron didn't play, is he hurt? Oh and who was he talking about that might have tore an acl? Sounds like Irwin sprained his ankle, could have been worse I suppose.

For those who were there, can I get a little more on Dillon. Obviously he sounds like he was at best the third QB out there, but what is it: decision making, accuracy, arm strength?

I love the kid and I loved how he spoke up and tried to lead after the coaching change. That being said, he looks like someone we are trying to convert to QB. It looks like things are happening very very fast for him. He is all over the place mechanically, seems almost confused by what he needs to do, and is hesitant and thinking his way through everything.

I said this in another thread, but I blame this on Embree & Co. It's one thing to be behind physically, but it looks to me like he's had no coaching the last 18 months. Maybe he is just trying too hard, but he has a long way to go.

Didn't hear anything about Josh Ford in this game. Did he play and not have any carries or nothing impressive?

He was in there and was his usual productive self, although he probably had fewer carries than Powell and Jones. Ford also was returning KOs.

I'm encouraged that we have a qb taking the job, good sign. Mac2 said Abron didn't play, is he hurt? Oh and who was he talking about that might have tore an acl? Sounds like Irwin sprained his ankle, could have been worse I suppose.

Papillion is the one with the possible ACL injury.

He was in there and was his usual productive self, although he probably had fewer carries than Powell and Jones. Ford also was returning KOs.
It looked to me like Ford was wearing heavier shoes than normal or a little tired. He wasn't running angry like I've seen him do - a few times he put his head down at contact and kept driving, but quite a few times it seemed like he just sorta stopped. His kick returns were meh. Then again...so we're everyone else's who fielded kicks.

Nick Hirschman – 16-for-27 for 219 yards and two touchdowns; one sack
Connor Wood – 11-of-16 for 205 yards and one touchdown

the stats make all the Wood hypers look like we don't know what we're talking about...but of his incompletions, more of them were catchable balls. Also, Hirschman had a swing pass to Powell for 52 yards for a TD

From CUATTHEGAME:

Running backs … Tony Jones – 4-for-43, including a 30-yard touchdown run … Christian Powell – 3-for-18 yards (one rush for 18 yards; two for zero total yards) … Josh Ford* – 8-for-13 yards, long of nine… Malcolm Creer – three-for-11 yards, long of eight

* again, looked a little tired or something

FYI: PAC 12 Network is replaying todays game at 7 tonight and 9am tomorrow

I've made about 7 of these things the last 13 years and must say this game was one of the cleanest I remember,as far as games go.The traditional game format and very few injuries probably helped it along.I'm not saying this squad is ready for primetime,but they at least seem to know what to do just haven't mastered doing it yet.

Pretty plain vanilla spring game. Both Hirschman and Wood made some nice throws but the action looked more like a drill than a scrimmage. I do not believe that either QB won the position today...

Everyone that wants a Juco QB or lineman your realize that those guys sign in February like everyone else...the ones left had no offers.

Biggest concern...the linebackers...

Nick Hirschman – 16-for-27 for 219 yards and two touchdowns; one sack
Connor Wood – 11-of-16 for 205 yards and one touchdown

the stats make all the Wood hypers look like we don't know what we're talking about...but of his incompletions, more of them were catchable balls. Also, Hirschman had a swing pass to Powell for 52 yards for a TD

Stats look to me to support exactly what folks have been saying. Solid day by both, but the edge goes to Wood. Hirsch threw for more yards and had one more touchdown, but those stats suggest that Wood was the far more efficient passer. He had nearly the same passing yards with five fewer completions, and more telling, eleven fewer attempts. Of course his stats are aided by that 80+ yard touchdown pass to P-Rich, but it may all balance out based on the passes that were dropped.

Stats look to me to support exactly what folks have been saying. Solid day by both, but the edge goes to Wood. Hirsch threw for more yards and had one more touchdown, but those stats suggest that Wood was the far more efficient passer. He had nearly the same passing yards with five fewer completions, and more telling, eleven fewer attempts. Of course his stats are aided by that 80+ yard touchdown pass to P-Rich, but it may all balance out based on the passes that were dropped.

Yeah - exactly. Someone please explain "QB EFFICIENCY RATINGS" to CUAviator!

Wood didn't miss a throw really that I saw. He put one in the stands after checking down to nothing available. He got rid of it quick and decisively and on target. If there had been a pass rush that was live, I'd be very very happy right now. We'll see.

BigBang must have had his TV on the wrong channel...

Best part of today's game? I make myself a 2nd Bloody Mary and walked over to the entrance. Nobody cared so I walked right in with it, with a big ole Celery Stalk hanging out. Enjoyed it throughout.

I thought the DBs looked pretty good. Even when PRich was beating guys, those were perfectly thrown passes. I remember Henderson was right there on one. Several times I noticed the DB who was beat was a walk-on. Actually thought Brisco showed up a bit today. Noticed Walker playing like he wants to get on the field.

Have to agree with the majority. Wood solidified being #1 in my book. No bad throws. Threw the ball OOB when nothing was there. Didn't force anything. Was putting balls where only the O could make a play. Probably had 3 big bombs to PRich that should have been caught.

Also, his delivery is much faster than Hirshman. They also didn't run with Wood (probably purposefully with the spring game televised).

PRich will get his hands back. Not worried. Was worried when they had him return that punt though. Hopefully he won't have to be back there. Would like to see what Hall could do as a returner.

Crawley looked good. Never out of position that I could see. With a better understanding of the schemes, he could play a little more aggression.

Nembot stood out to me. Really used his wingspan well, and is lightyears ahead in his pass pro compaired to last year.

Reid needs to gain about 30 pounds. Greer had a good hit, but is still very tentative with his run reads.

Safety play was almost non-existant. Hopefully Mosley can get his head on strait and get on the 2-deep.

OL depth is scary. Would like to see them pursue a JuCo.

Powell was a monster. Do not envy anyone that has to tackle him.

Jeff Thomas ran by him on a post and Crawley grabbed him, slowing him down. Dorman threw a nice pass that fell long, only because JThomas had been held. Should have been a big penalty - wasn't called.

That would be a big mistake by Coach Mac. I still have my doubts on both QBs. I won't be shocked if a Juco QB is added. I wasn't blown away by Wood performance. What I saw today was P Rich man handling the secondary. No pass rush whatsoever and no defensive game plan to stop Wood and Hirschman. I saw a defense that lacks talent. I saw Wood miss some deep throw. I saw both QB miss on deep routes.

I saw a defense that was still learning and playing about as vanilla a scheme (thanks, Pac 12 TV) as you could imagine. Lots of youngsters still mastering the system and new roles; Reed and Gillam are still just freshman, Moten learning a new "thinking" position. I'll worry a whole bunch more if they look like that 2/3 of the way through fall camp.

Depth on the O-line is coming back or coming in; there were 10 guys out there, 4 gone due to injury and 4 coming in the fall. All for 5 positions and even then MM wants 'em cross-trained.

Yeah - exactly. Someone please explain "QB EFFICIENCY RATINGS" to CUAviator!

Wood didn't miss a throw really that I saw. He put one in the stands after checking down to nothing available. He got rid of it quick and decisively and on target. If there had been a pass rush that was live, I'd be very very happy right now. We'll see.

BigBang must have had his TV on the wrong channel...

Best part of today's game? I make myself a 2nd Bloody Mary and walked over to the entrance. Nobody cared so I walked right in with it, with a big ole Celery Stalk hanging out. Enjoyed it throughout.

I thought the DBs looked pretty good. Even when PRich was beating guys, those were perfectly thrown passes. I remember Henderson was right there on one. Several times I noticed the DB who was beat was a walk-on. Actually thought Brisco showed up a bit today. Noticed Walker playing like he wants to get on the field.
Somebody please actually READ what I wrote.

Wood went 11-16 with at least 2 or 3 drops that could have gone for an extra 100yrds and a TD. What more do people want out of a QB performance in a spring game? If you think Wood was ok but not great, you must also think its a coincidence he ended up on the same team as Prich.

Wood went 11-16 with at least 2 or 3 drops that could have gone for an extra 100yrds and a TD. What more do people want out of a QB performance in a spring game? If you think Wood was ok but not great, you must also think its a coincidence he ended up on the same team as Prich.
Precisely. If you didn't see the game, just the stats, you'd assume the two were a lot more even than they really are (were...today)

Wood is the clear leader in my mind. He moves outside the pocket with much more poise, keeps his eyes downfield, makes crisper throws. Physically, he's the first one we've had that looked like he belongs in the BCS in quite awhile.

Dillon? Looks like a stick figure. Needs 20+ pounds before they should even think about putting him out there. He's got a gun though. He's a slinger. But a year away minimum, IMO.

I echo the concerns about OL depth ... all this might be moot if those fears are realized.

Buffenuf, numbers do not equal depth on the OL. We have issues there.

As for comments about DBs in general, I like our corners but the safeties look lost.

henderson mentioned a new player in his Post article this morning. Paul Thomas. Caught a pass for a 33 yard gain.

sarcasm

henderson mentioned a new player in his Post article this morning. Paul Thomas. Caught a pass for a 33 yard gain.

sarcasm

Did you read his article about Boyle and Lappe'd extensions? Just awful with no proof reading.

Back