What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Starting QB?

42 qbs on the roster and we can't find one that we can agree is the lock to start.
Okie State, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, and several other teams all had success with QB's who either hadn't played or who were buried on the depth chart coming into the season.

We're due for a QB to come out of nowhere and take the job.

Okie State, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, and several other teams all had success with QB's who either hadn't played or who were buried on the depth chart coming into the season.

You may want to mention Texas A&M too :wink2:

Don't forget the team from College Station...you know, where the QB just won the Heisman Trophy? He was part of a 3-way QB competition this past fall. Now, I suppose, he's probably just participating in 3-ways...

If we go the route of starting a QB that does not have a college start yet, then the stats say... Sefo should start! Based on Sr. Year of HS stats, he has the better completion rate, better Win/Loss, better TD to interception ratio, lower interception %, more yards per completion, and an overall higher QB rating:

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 21 12.13.gif

If we go the route of starting a QB that does not have a college start yet, then the stats say... Sefo should start! Based on Sr. Year of HS stats, he has the better completion rate, better Win/Loss, better TD to interception ratio, lower interception %, more yards per completion, and an overall higher QB rating:

View attachment 11166
Interesting. The stats are pretty close. Sefo may get the nod cuz he's bigger, but Shane has college experience - at least on the scout team.

Webb - I am amazed that anyone thinks he has a chance to be the starter. He simply cannot make some of the required throws, very inaccurate and slow to make a decision. The coaches say they loved his decision making but it did not show up in games.
Wood - Did not make the most of his opportunities. Did not see anything that blew me away in game action. He still makes way too many mistakes and seems to get flustered and lose his composure.
Hisrchmann - Showed the most progress over the course of the year. Still makes too many mistakes but showed more maturity than he had in the past. Made some impressive throws.
Did not see anyone else so it is hard to say.

Dillion - I hope that he can really step forward.

Our only hope is to assume the previous coaching staff had no idea what they were doing at the QB position... All of these kids have talent, we just need a system and coach that can exploit those talents. Let's see it MikeMac.

High school stats are irrelevant.

Yeah, I know, but I don't got a whole lot more to go on except their stats. In fact, all of our QBs have great looking stats in their HS Senior Years.

Makes sense: There are 35,000 US high schools. If 20% have competitive football programs that might be able to produce a quality QB through good competition and coaching, that is 7,000 high school QBs. If we assume 1/2 of the starters are Seniors each year, that comes to 3,500 QBs to be recruited by about 120 D1 colleges. So most are already automatically in the top 4 or 5% of QBs statistically coming out of HS. The tricky part is picking up on the talent that separates a star from a bust when watching them on film.

View attachment 11166

The following stats are Sefo's Jr season, I will attached Sefo's Sr year with a twist on how to compare the two QBs

Last edited:
Sr Yr PassingCompAttComp %YdsTDIntLngQBR
Shane213367.58318724118296
Sefo193280.689251824581118
Sr Yr RushingCarrYdsAVGY/GLongTD
Shane54641.194.9198
Sefo782913.7320.8208

Last edited:
HS RankNational Ranking @ Frosh YearNational Ranking SR YrRanking Update
Shane26482857minus 209
Sefo5178261plus 4917
State Ranking @ FroshState Ranking SR Yr
Shane238252minus 14
Sefo1196plus 113

Here is the twist; if individual HS stats don't matter; based on Maxprep historical records; Who on this chart made a big difference for his HS?

If we all agreed that Coach Mac should be free to select his own staff; we can agree he should evaluate and select his starting QB?

Last edited:
If history is an indication Mike will go with one of the older QB's. He started the incumbent Senior QB at SJSU his first year. The following year he started the Senior that backed up the previous year. This year he started Fales who is a Junior.

I think it would be wise to start one of the real young guys, Dillon seems to make the most sense. Next year will be a year with no expectations so why not use it to get experience to a young guy instead of playing someone with little upside? My guess is Nick gets the nod.

If history is an indication Mike will go with one of the older QB's. He started the incumbent Senior QB at SJSU his first year. The following year he started the Senior that backed up the previous year. This year he started Fales who is a Junior.

I think it would be wise to start one of the real young guys, Dillon seems to make the most sense. Next year will be a year with no expectations so why not use it to get experience to a young guy instead of playing someone with little upside? My guess is Nick gets the nod.

I hope not, like him but he isn't good enough. Embree went with Webb last year because he was the guy with experience and maturity, look what that got us.

If Dillon isn't the guy I hope that Wood steps up, I don't want another season ruined by a guy who just doesn't have the talent to play at this level.

Nick Hirschman has the talent to play at the FBS level. He just has to clean up some things in his decision making.

I hope not, like him but he isn't good enough. Embree went with Webb last year because he was the guy with experience and maturity, look what that got us.

If Dillon isn't the guy I hope that Wood steps up, I don't want another season ruined by a guy who just doesn't have the talent to play at this level.

Hirschman looked a heck of a lot better than Wood, IMO. Hirschman was making some nice throws at times but also had too many mistakes.

Our offense was such a mess last year because of our lack of quarterback play you have to really hope we start the season with someone that didn't play last year.

Hirschman looked a heck of a lot better than Wood, IMO. Hirschman was making some nice throws at times but also had too many mistakes.

To me Hirsch looked like the better decision maker and more polished but Wood looks much more physically talented. My hope is that with different coaching they can take advantage of Woods physical talent. What I have seen from Hirsch doesn't show me that he will ever be more than servicable, and with our lack of talent at other positions that isn't good enough.

Wood may never develop, so far he hasn't shown the mental/emotional aspect of the game. To me though he is the one we have seen so far with the physical gifts to be a difference maker. If Dillon jumps in and takes the job then it won't matter but I am tired of "game managers" who just aren't good enough and to me Hirsch just isn't good enough.

I'm not sure I buy Wood has shown the physical tools. He just looked really bad to me.

I agree Duff - I'm amused that people are still clinging to Wood

BTW, I have been pretty harsh on Hirschman, but I thought he played reasonably well at times. I think he could be a very steady backup.

Webb starting with Dillon/Sefo getting some drives imo. Hirsch was not good. 8 INT's is not acceptable in basically 1.5 games. He isn't exactly young either, 3 years in the program and he was an EE as well, so youth shouldn't be an excuse. Most of his INT's weren't really "mistakes" either. They were due to complete lack of arm strength/slow release and throwing sky high bombs. That can't really be fixed with experience, plus he is a statue

Webb starting with Dillon/Sefo getting some drives imo. Hirsch was not good. 8 INT's is not acceptable in basically 1.5 games. He isn't exactly young either, 3 years in the program and he was an EE as well, so youth shouldn't be an excuse. Most of his INT's weren't really "mistakes" either. They were due to complete lack of arm strength/slow release and throwing sky high bombs. That can't really be fixed with experience, plus he is a statue

Are you suggesting playing both Dillon and Sefu?

Back