What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Tackle Situation

This is so far off base I don't know how to respond. He would start for USC? He would start for Stanford? Keep going down the list.

Great to be a fan but lets get just a little bit realistic here.

According to Athlon he's either the 3rd or 4th best guard in the conference. No USC guards appear on the list. Furthermore he also plays C. So there's 3 positions he could play. He's our best lineman, and I don't think it's unrealistic to say he'd be better than either the LG, C or RG on any other Pac-12 team. You really think it's optimistic to think he'd start for any other Pac-12 team?

IMO making that statement is just needlessly negative. I guess the last decade of CU football will make most people a pessimist, but a senior who's also a 3 year starter who's getting articles published about their draft stock and who's been on 2 pre-season All-American teams and one midseason team from two different publications wouldn't start for every other Pac-12 team?

I think it is the "every other team" part of the argument that fails. Would he start at some P12 schools? It would not surprise me. But to say that he is better than all but two interior OL on all 11 other P12 teams is a little bit of a stretch....

I think it is the "every other team" part of the argument that fails. Would he start at some P12 schools? It would not surprise me. But to say that he is better than all but two interior OL on all 11 other P12 teams is a little bit of a stretch....

On the flip side, by saying he wouldn't start for every other Pac-12 team you're saying he's worse than the top 3 interior linemen for every other team. As a 5th year senior, I'd be damned surprised if that was the case.

And yet a well respected sport publication who is a whole helluva lot more unbiased than any of us believes he is one of the top OGs in the PAC 12. It may be a stretch, but it serves as evidence for my claim that he is a above average PAC 12 OG.

We're picking nits. Some folks are taking Athlon too much as gospel and some are completely blowing it off.

Simple truth: Munyer is a solid OL starter in the Pac-12 who should have a good year as a senior and position himself to be drafted. Buffs have questions on the OL, but guard is a strength with Munyer and Crabb.

Orr, if I can speak for him in his absence, would say this thread didn't need to be. In fact, I think he'd say good sites don't pull these shenanigans. -- http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/98626-OL-Update-and-Your-Thoughts

I have a feeling the line will be much improved this year.

I still think this is a good site. If that post isn't immediatly visable on the first page, I ain't searching for it. I'm not site diving to find one thread that might or might not be the same type.

All that said, I think experience also is a good thing. These guys, including Nembot now have some big time experience and it finally may click for them. I wouldn't be too upset if Mustoe ends up at LT and is a solid player. Doesn't have to be spectacular, 1st round type guy.

Until I see it on the field, the oline will continue to be my biggest worry/concern for next season. The oline play recently has been right scary

We're picking nits. Some folks are taking Athlon too much as gospel and some are completely blowing it off.

Simple truth: Munyer is a solid OL starter in the Pac-12 who should have a good year as a senior and position himself to be drafted. Buffs have questions on the OL, but guard is a strength with Munyer and Crabb.

Yeah, sorry if I'm coming off as pumping Athlon, that wasn't my intention when I pulled it up as evidence.

Right and Sully is an interior guy who is going to challenge Kelley for the C job IMO, hence the original claim that the interior will be fine. Depth is okay too if either Sully or Kelley are the backup interior lineman.

The tackles are the most trouble and Nembot worries me the most. He's won conditioning awards, he was apparently named the most improved lineman in Spring... but we've all seen him make big mistakes. It seems like his run blocking is okay and his pass blocking is dismal. Shouldn't a guy with his experience now and his huge frame be turning heads?

Right and Sully is an interior guy who is going to challenge Kelley for the C job IMO, hence the original claim that the interior will be fine. Depth is okay too if either Sully or Kelley are the backup interior lineman.

The tackles are the most trouble and Nembot worries me the most. He's won conditioning awards, he was apparently named the most improved lineman in Spring... but we've all seen him make big mistakes. It seems like his run blocking is okay and his pass blocking is dismal. Shouldn't a guy with his experience now and his huge frame be turning heads?

Learning pass pro technique is a pain in the ass to learn. Nembot needs to get to the point where he isn't thinking as much

On the flip side, by saying he wouldn't start for every other Pac-12 team you're saying he's worse than the top 3 interior linemen for every other team. As a 5th year senior, I'd be damned surprised if that was the case.

I don't think you understand what "every other team" means.

:bang: Is English a second language for you?

Orr, if I can speak for him in his absence, would say this thread didn't need to be. In fact, I think he'd say good sites don't pull these shenanigans. -- http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/98626-OL-Update-and-Your-Thoughts

I have a feeling the line will be much improved this year.
To take that discussion to its inevitable conclusion, Burrito would add that a college friend of his had a thing for women who had the measurables to play OL. Orr would say that the friend preferred them to have good feet, like a Tackle. Burrito would say that foot fettishes were the least of this person's issues, and that "Road Grader" was the more likely description for his amorous targets. Snow would probably get in at some point just to f with Orr. The end.

:bang: Is English a second language for you?

I'm not really sure where your confusion is here.

If you're saying that Munyer wouldn't start for every other Pac-12 team then it logically follows that you're claiming he's a worse player than any other Pac-12 team's top three interior linemen.

Maybe you believe that, I don't.

EDIT- Missed a word

Last edited:
If Mustoe is our LT I can't see us winning much.:afraid::afraid::afraid: I am equally concerned about the RT, I wonder if we have anyone ready to challenge Nembot.

I didn't realize that Nembot was called most improved OL this spring. I love to hear that, as he has the highest ceiling on the team (perhaps in any position.) With good coaching for a couple full years and plenty of experience I am hopeful he can shore up is terrible play the past couple seasons. I wouldn't write him off.

Depth is the big issues. Callahan would be huge, but man, I am going to be afraid of a rolled ankle or tweeked knee on every offensive play next year.

I'm not really sure where your confusion is here.

If you're saying that Munyer wouldn't start for every other Pac-12 team then it logically follows that you're claiming he's a worse player than every other Pac-12 team's top three interior linemen.

Maybe you believe that, I don't.

You're confusing "every" with "any".

We ARE NOT saying Munyer wouldn't start for ANY other Pac 12 team.

We ARE saying Munyer wouldn't start for EVERY other Pac 12 team.

Do you see the difference?

I missed a word. Now I can understand a little of the confusion, although the intent was pretty obvious.

The original statement made was that Munyer wouldn't start for many other Pac-12 teams, I think he'd probably start for all of them. To make that claim, all I'm really claiming is that he's at least a top 3 interior lineman when compared to the interior linemen of all other schools in the conference. That's not even an especially optimistic or homerish claim. It's even backed up by one of the most popular sports publications in the country.

In order to disagree you'd have to say that he's not in the top three for every other school.

I think he is, maybe you think he isn't but the idea that he wouldn't start for "many" is silly.

To take that discussion to its inevitable conclusion, Burrito would add that a college friend of his had a thing for women who had the measurables to play OL. Orr would say that the friend preferred them to have good feet, like a Tackle. Burrito would say that foot fettishes were the least of this person's issues, and that "Road Grader" was the more likely description for his amorous targets. Snow would probably get in at some point just to f with Orr. The end.
Now what the hell am I supposed to do this afternoon?

Our oline is still not anywhere it should be to compete in the Pac 12. I like Crabb and Munyer as technicians. My hope is Callahan gains eligibility and Irwin is fully healthy. Callahan would be our LT and then Irwin would be our RT, although I'm not sure Irwin is a potential RT. I have no confidence whatsoever in Nembot. We don't have the time for the light to go on. Its now or never.

Basically, like getting to 6 wins, it will be major steps for us to pull together a cohesive, offensive line. We have some nice pieces, but a lot has to go our way (players gaining instant eligibility, injuries, light going on, etc.) Not completely out of the realm, but I have huge concerns here.

Our oline is still not anywhere it should be to compete in the Pac 12. I like Crabb and Munyer as technicians. My hope is Callahan gains eligibility and Irwin is fully healthy. Callahan would be our LT and then Irwin would be our RT, although I'm not sure Irwin is a potential RT. I have no confidence whatsoever in Nembot. We don't have the time for the light to go on. Its now or never.

Basically, like getting to 6 wins, it will be major steps for us to pull together a cohesive, offensive line. We have some nice pieces, but a lot has to go our way (players gaining instant eligibility, injuries, light going on, etc.) Not completely out of the realm, but I have huge concerns here.

Exactly.

No one should be hoping or expecting that CU will have 5 OLs on the All Pac-12 teams after the season. No one should be hoping or expecting to see anything resembling Alabama's recent national championship line that took over games.

But what I am looking for this year is for CU to finally pull itself up from the dregs of D1 college football and trot out a competent OL that is representative of a BCS program and can be relied upon to allow the skill guys to do their jobs. It's not too much to ask for. It's also a monumental improvement over what we have seen these past years despite the NFL talent we have had.

I missed a word. Now I can understand a little of the confusion, although the intent was pretty obvious.

The original statement made was that Munyer wouldn't start for many other Pac-12 teams, I think he'd probably start for all of them. To make that claim, all I'm really claiming is that he's at least a top 3 interior lineman when compared to the interior linemen of all other schools in the conference. That's not even an especially optimistic or homerish claim. It's even backed up by one of the most popular sports publications in the country.

In order to disagree you'd have to say that he's not in the top three for every other school.

I think he is, maybe you think he isn't but the idea that he wouldn't start for "many" is silly.

You're saying that there is not a single Pac 12 school that has 3 interior lineman better than Munyer - I think a lot of people (including me) would disagree with you.

But what I am looking for this year is for CU to finally pull itself up from the dregs of D1 college football and trot out a competent OL that is representative of a BCS program and can be relied upon to allow the skill guys to do their jobs. It's not too much to ask for. It's also a monumental improvement over what we have seen these past years despite the NFL talent we have had.

I wonder how close we are to that. I think the interior is there... but two guys are graduating after the season and the tackle situation kind of sucks. Everyone seems pretty high on Irwin as a potential solution at every spot except center... but how much of that is wishcasting and how much is reality? At 295 he might be a little undersized for his height and he's been injured for a while. Why is everyone so high on him?

I wonder how close we are to that. I think the interior is there... but two guys are graduating after the season and the tackle situation kind of sucks. Everyone seems pretty high on Irwin as a potential solution at every spot except center... but how much of that is wishcasting and how much is reality? At 295 he might be a little undersized for his height and he's been injured for a while. Why is everyone so high on him?

Irwin has played and played well.

I believe our 2015 OL is solid even if it's: Callahan-Wiefels-Kelley-Irwin-Nembot

Beyond that, we should be looking at younger players ready to challenge for spots. I'm much less anxious about 2015 than I am about 2014.

And yet a well respected sport publication who is a whole helluva lot more unbiased than any of us believes he is one of the top OGs in the PAC 12. It may be a stretch, but it serves as evidence for my claim that he is a above average PAC 12 OG.

Where does the great Athlon Sports have us finishing in the P12 this year?

Back