What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Depends on how we view it, I guess, but I'd rather be sitting on top of all that Florida talent than being at modern day Notre Dame. You're more likely to bag a couple national championships at Florida in 2014 than you are at Notre Dame. I'm not sure I wouldn't view it over OU and OSU, also.. but that's tough. OU has a nice set up in this current Big XII to make the playoff quite often. I really think the B1G 10 may fade over coming decades due to demographics. I'd certainly rather be in a place like UF where the talent you sit on top of gets better and better each year as opposed to a place like Michigan where population is plummeting. Obviously these brand name programs can go national -- I'm hardly implying Michigan will turn into Akron, but I do think it will make things more challenging.

if you want to take the state of florida talent angle, can you argue that UF is even the best job in the state of Flordia? FSU is the defending champ and have 20 years of Bowden in the top 10. Notre Dame played for the NC just a couple years ago, hard to speculate against them when they were 60 minutes away (even tho Bama was clearly the better team by a lot).

i'll stand by what i say: UF is a top 10 job. i didn't even mention FSU....oversight. i'd say that's a better job than UF...at least the argument could be made. i get the "shifting CFB landscape argument"....and current rah rah forever ESPN SEC tilt....but, having this discussion now....UF is the one in jeopardy....ND, OU, they are strong. Bama, strong. top 10 teams. UF, struggling to beat Kentucky at home. if the "now" is the argument, UF is the one in trouble. history is also against them in the atmosphere of OU, tOSU, ND, etc.

seems to me the arguments against UF as a top 5 job are stronger and multiple...

Last edited:
It's all in the eye of the beholder, but suggesting UF is a top 5 job is not outlandish by any means. FWIW, I think most people in the State of Florida would consider the UF job superior to FSU, but it's a pretty fierce debate.

I'd put UF as a top 5 job. No doubt in my mind. Good school, supportive administration, great fan support, favorable climate, great facilities, SEC membership, historical relevance, and sits in the middle of one of the best recruiting states in the country. A lot of positives, no negatives that I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notre Dame is likely to be in the hunt for a national championship this year. They have a lot of talent.

i'm not saying it's outlandish, but i think at any given time and especially now...it's not a top 5 job. i think you can easily name 5 jobs that are better. but, everyone disagrees with me so, hey. i'll step off.

i think because we are bad and bad for a long time many of you 1. watch way too much ESPN without any psychological moorings that having a relevant team gives you and 2. have looked to find solace in magical solutions like "recruiting hot beds", conference tv moneys, stadium improvements and etc. UF fits all those.

i do think the success that UF has had in hoops and football simultaneously is something to look at. can be done. i can only think of Texas in the mid 00's (VY and Final Four team) and OU in the late 80's (played for the NC in both football and hoops i think in 88) as comparison. Thad Motta had some good Buckeye teams alongside Tressell.

Last edited:
Notre Dame is likely to be in the hunt for a national championship this year. They have a lot of talent.

I've heard a few people say they will probably still get into the playoff with 1 loss and I have to laugh. Of course it depends on what happens nationally but if they end up with 1 loss they would need A LOT of help to make the playoff. And that allegedly daunting schedule that so many were crowing about before the season suddenly doesn't look that tough. Michigan is a joke, and UNC and Lousville don't look good at all, especially UNC. And USC looked terrible in losing at BC. Also, FSU doesn't look that daunting either, even in Tallahassee.

Yeah he's done. Never saw the mutual interest in that hire to begin with. KU is in the middle of their Hawkins/Embree years now.

They've been in that longer than we were.

They've been in that longer than we were.

I would say roughly the same. The historic peak years of their program haven't been near what ours were but they did win the Orange Bowl in 2007. Mangino's years there were similar to Barnett's here but KU's real slide started in 2010 with their hire of Turner Gill who was fresh off a 5-7 year at Buffalo (the college). Hilarious in hindsight that Charles Barkley loudly campaigned for Auburn to hire Gill instead of Chizik.

:nod:

Weis got fired after losing to Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/28/charlie-weis-kansas/16382025/

Charlie Weis arrived at Kansas full of bravado, promising dramatic changes within the long-suffering program. Players were dismissed, offenses and defenses were scrapped. Assistant coaches were hired, fired or simply reassigned.

In the end, the one thing that needed to change — on-field results — stayed the same.

:nod:

Weis got fired after losing to Texas.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/28/charlie-weis-kansas/16382025/

Charlie Weis arrived at Kansas full of bravado, promising dramatic changes within the long-suffering program. Players were dismissed, offenses and defenses were scrapped. Assistant coaches were hired, fired or simply reassigned.

In the end, the one thing that needed to change — on-field results — stayed the same.

Liberace was gay... I did not see that one coming.

KU is the most weightist school in the country. If Charlie were thinner he would have gotten another year.

They didn't just fire one morbidly obese head coach, they fired two. They better hire Ralph Friedgen just to show they're not weightest.

They didn't just fire one morbidly obese head coach, they fired two. They better hire Ralph Friedgen just to show they're not weightest.

54b781c54116982000cfade255e08a8e.jpg

Will Brady Hoke be coaching Michigan's last game?

Based on Ohio State's play yesterday I think it's clear UM will get tattooed by them. Before that I wasn't so sure. So Hoke's at least gone after that game, but if he manages to survive the next 5 days keep in mind the next month they have ahead of them.

at Rutgers
Penn State
BYE (good time to implement big changes)
Michigan State

Big Ten has not been teh ultimate suck I thought they would although Michigan certainly has and then some. It's gonna get rockier before there are any signs of hope.

Going to be a number of good jobs open in the off-season, and a lot more not good jobs. Glad we aren't in the market this year.

Michigan has now had two failures in a row but they have resources, a huge fan base, tradition and lots of $$$$$$. They will get somebody who is looked at as a first pick. You can say those same things about Florida and add a tremendous recruiting base as well. They aren't going to be jilted at the altar either.

We are also going to have one or two "surprise" jobs open that are top quality jobs. Spurrier seems like he is losing his mind a little at the little USC. He has done everything he can, built a highly ranked program but doesn't look like he is going to take the next step into championship contention. He is 68 and has some health problems including knee replacement. Wouldn't shock anyone if he called it quits. Another possible is if Georgia falls short of expectations again.

It's a tough deal when the program expectations are to contend for a NC but Georgia fans believe that's where they should be. Georgia started this year highly ranked and proceeded to lose coming out of the gate. Yesterday they barely escaped Tennessee. If they end up picking up a couple more losses would they push Richt out the door.

Another question is when is old man Snyder going to retire again, he already tried it once. He has a very good team and could leave on a high note if he decided to.

Also likely to be some interest by the NFL in some college coaches. For a while they weren't hiring a lot of college guys but the NFL is a copycat league and Pete Carroll now has a ring.

Even with yesterdays win you have to wonder how much longer Leach has at Wazzou? Also much closer to home Sparkles has won his two big OOC games at CSU and looks to be in the middle of the race for a not very good MWC title coming off a bowl year. With the stadium news and having some very key players being seniors is he going to be looking to get out while the getting is good, I'd expect so.

Based on Ohio State's play yesterday I think it's clear UM will get tattooed by them. Before that I wasn't so sure. So Hoke's at least gone after that game, but if he manages to survive the next 5 days keep in mind the next month they have ahead of them.

at Rutgers
Penn State
BYE (good time to implement big changes)
Michigan State

Big Ten has not been teh ultimate suck I thought they would although Michigan certainly has and then some. It's gonna get rockier before there are any signs of hope.

I doubt he last that long but if he gets to the Michigan State game it could get ugly. Huge rivalry game for Sparty and Michigan has laid it on them a few times in the past. Would be no surprise at all to see State look for some serious scoreboard payback.

I really don't understand where this idea keeps coming from that Leach is somehow getting fired this season. He's fresh off Wazzu's first bowl in a decade and they've performed well in Pac12 play this season thus far. Not a chance in hell he gets axed. And I'm not high on him, at all.

I really don't understand where this idea keeps coming from that Leach is somehow getting fired this season. He's fresh off Wazzu's first bowl in a decade and they've performed well in Pac12 play this season thus far. Not a chance in hell he gets axed. And I'm not high on him, at all.

You are probably right in that he isn't going to get fired this year but he isn't stupid. What worked at TT isn't working at WSU, he isn't getting the kind of recruits he need to compete on a long term basis. He isn't a great fit with the culture there and doesn't seem overly happy.

He may just decide to jump rather than wait a couple years and get pushed. Especially if something opens up for him closer to what he considers home.

All just speculation but I don't think it is crazy speculation.

Going to be a number of good jobs open in the off-season, and a lot more not good jobs. Glad we aren't in the market this year.

Michigan has now had two failures in a row but they have resources, a huge fan base, tradition and lots of $$$$$$. They will get somebody who is looked at as a first pick. You can say those same things about Florida and add a tremendous recruiting base as well. They aren't going to be jilted at the altar either.

We are also going to have one or two "surprise" jobs open that are top quality jobs. Spurrier seems like he is losing his mind a little at the little USC. He has done everything he can, built a highly ranked program but doesn't look like he is going to take the next step into championship contention. He is 68 and has some health problems including knee replacement. Wouldn't shock anyone if he called it quits. Another possible is if Georgia falls short of expectations again.

It's a tough deal when the program expectations are to contend for a NC but Georgia fans believe that's where they should be. Georgia started this year highly ranked and proceeded to lose coming out of the gate. Yesterday they barely escaped Tennessee. If they end up picking up a couple more losses would they push Richt out the door.

Another question is when is old man Snyder going to retire again, he already tried it once. He has a very good team and could leave on a high note if he decided to.

Also likely to be some interest by the NFL in some college coaches. For a while they weren't hiring a lot of college guys but the NFL is a copycat league and Pete Carroll now has a ring.

Even with yesterdays win you have to wonder how much longer Leach has at Wazzou? Also much closer to home Sparkles has won his two big OOC games at CSU and looks to be in the middle of the race for a not very good MWC title coming off a bowl year. With the stadium news and having some very key players being seniors is he going to be looking to get out while the getting is good, I'd expect so.

Mike Leach isn't going anywhere-that team went to a bowl game, and they went into SLC and beat Utah yesterday. In fact, I see two possible changes in the Pac 12-Utah may dump Whittingham if they don't make a bowl, and I don't think Sonny Dykes has necessarily earned himself another year, either. As far as Michigan, they are going to have to settle. Outside of Ohio State and Michigan State (Meyer and Dantonio seem like they have CFL status), B1G jobs aren't anywhere near as attractive, now. Florida is the most attractive opening on the market. As far as the NFL, David Shaw could do it, and I could see Jerrah offering Bob Stoops a blank check to coach the Cowboys.

Sparkles leaves CSU after this year. Hes not getting the stadium, and he is never going to be as marketable as he is right now. If I'm Dave Brandon or Jeremy Foley, I can't sell him to my fanbases, though. I bet his name pops up at KU, Utah (if Whittingham goes), and maybe an opening created by UM or UF (Mississippi State? Dan Mullen makes alot of sense at Florida, and Sparkles would get to match wits with Nicky yearly).

It's really crazy speculation, Mtn. Leach is not interested in high-pressure jobs and really would not get much interest anyway.

Is it likely sparkles leaves? Didn't he get a contract extension with a raise, and a $7 million buy out claus. I don't think the programs that would be interested in him would want to cover that.

although it could be the $ needed to grit the stadium project off the ground.

Back