What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 Attrition Thread (Now Official): 8 gone (apsay, white, Center)

The idea that every OL prospect we sign should automatically be deemed a multi-year project needs to die. Quickly. You know why? Because the coaches are not offering 100% projects. Start landing some of your early OL offers instead of conveniently covering for your OL coach when he stops recruiting.
This, 100x. Somebody seriously needs to be recruited over.

I stand by my statement. You should never be grayshirting more than a couple OL in any class. It DOES create class balance issues. If Lytle was to grayshirt this year in addition to Vaughn and Purcell, you essentially have 1-2 spots left for the 2017 class a year before signing day and six months before the season starts. Why would you give yourself such little roster flexibility when so many things can happen between February and December?

The idea that every OL prospect we sign should automatically be deemed a multi-year project needs to die. Quickly. You know why? Because the coaches are not offering 100% projects. Start landing some of your early OL offers instead of conveniently covering for your OL coach when he stops recruiting.

I will give you a lifetime supply of your favorite micro if you relay this message to MM at the luncheon. :)

By my count we're 2 over the limit of 85 with 2 of the new recruits gray-shirting. This doesn't account for Tupou who will be needing 1 come June. So MM will need to free up 3 schollies shortly. Only 2 needed if Roberts gray-shirts.

My numbers still show Tyler Hennington(good player) on the roster. Is he a candidate for medical retirement? Same with Gillam and Travis Talianko. Heck, for that matter even Adkins. I mean how many RBs do we need if you count Donovan Lee and Anth Julmisse into the mix.

Six scholarship QBs??? I guess Gehrke is not going to graduate early.

I see Rippy still on the roster so I'm hoping Leavitt has lit a fire and will get something out of him. Or he's gone if/when Tupou comes back.

By my count we're 2 over the limit of 85 with 2 of the new recruits gray-shirting. This doesn't account for Tupou who will be needing 1 come June. So MM will need to free up 3 schollies shortly. Only 2 needed if Roberts gray-shirts.

My numbers still show Tyler Hennington(good player) on the roster. Is he a candidate for medical retirement? Same with Gillam and Travis Talianko. Heck, for that matter even Adkins. I mean how many RBs do we need if you count Donovan Lee and Anth Julmisse into the mix.

I see Rippy still on the roster so I'm hoping Leavitt has lit a fire and will get something out of him. Or he's gone if/when Tupou comes back.

1. you count Tupou for the fall, just like the incoming class. This isn't about spring, it's about fall (the 85 numbers). Rippy being gone will have nothing to do with if/when Tupou comes back.
2. We are not heavy in RBs. Julmisse is not a RB, he will practice at WR to start.
Adkins is not going anywhere - we can stop with that.
3. More attrition to come. There's always attrition.

Gehrke's plans are still unannounced for next year. He is scheduled to partake in Spring drills as of right now. With Sefo out, there's plenty of Spring snaps to go around and I'm sure his decision will hinge on whether or not he emerges at the top or bottom of the depth chart. If he sees himself as the #1 guy heading out of Spring, with Sefo's status unknown, I'd bet he finishes up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

CU will be 2 over the limit assuming Tupou is back and we GS 2 lineman. A lot of people are forgetting Watanabe has left.

There are lots of attrition candidates, so I think the staff will have hit the limit exactly. They did a good job getting a decent sized class in here to start balancing the roster again.

1. you count Tupou for the fall, just like the incoming class. This isn't about spring, it's about fall (the 85 numbers). Rippy being gone will have nothing to do with if/when Tupou comes back.
2. We are not heavy in RBs. Julmisse is not a RB, he will practice at WR to start.
Adkins is not going anywhere - we can stop with that.
3. More attrition to come. There's always attrition.

Gehrke's plans are still unannounced for next year. He is scheduled to partake in Spring drills as of right now. With Sefo out, there's plenty of Spring snaps to go around and I'm sure his decision will hinge on whether or not he emerges at the top or bottom of the depth chart. If he sees himself as the #1 guy heading out of Spring, with Sefo's status unknown, I'd bet he finishes up here.

Good info on Gehrke and Julmisse.

Also, just to be clear, I'm a big fan of Adkins and I think he has been our most talented RB during his time here. Likewise a fan of Hennington and Gillam. However, they all seem to be bit quite often by the injury bug and do not get on the field as often as we needed. Just truly wondering if retirement is likely for any of them and may be the reason why MM seemingly over-recruited by several scholarships.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies. Sometimes I lose perspective. Speculating on the health etc. of these young athletes is not cool.

We are not short.

16 scholarships available after 7 players left the program. Signed 18, 3 players will grayshirt. We should have one Scholarship available. Sign a decent TE.

Last edited:
Any viable TE options still out there? If there is one spot remaining or another attrition candidate, this would seem a need

Any viable TE options still out there? If there is one spot remaining or another attrition candidate, this would seem a need

Well just go with 3 Tackles when we're in a double TE set. Otherwise Irwin should be able to handle the single TE sets just fine. They also line Frazier up there once in awhile. IMO Safety is a bigger need. I do like the idea of moving McIntyre and Ross to the D backfield for depth.

What is, moves him further away from playing QB for his dad, for $500?
37Zpzr0.gif

Moving Jay to safety? How is that a good idea?

We have 12 WRs and usually play 3 of them in most offensive sets.
We have 12 DBs and usually play 5 of them in most defensive sets.
We need more dbacks. Move some of the WRs that are buried on the depth chart to D. Jay played S in high school.

With the WRs that are coming in this year, it might be hard for JMac to see the field much as a WR. Safety might be a good spot for him.

With the WRs that are coming in this year, it might be hard for JMac to see the field much as a WR. Safety might be a good spot for him.
I thought he showed potential, myself. He can catch and he shows elusiveness.

I could see him providing us a Scotty McKnight like presence in the slot, especially with Chev coaching him now - good route running, solid hands (as opposed to drop-the-ball lee) - outlet kind of guy. With the amount we'll be slinging the ball this year there are probably 30 odd catches for that kind of a steady receiver.

This is a very entertaining thread....

<sarcasm>Greyshirt all you Olinemen - great idea. I hope the rest of the PAC 12 does not find out about this </sarcasm>
Jay MacIntyre is not Scotty McKnight - he had 5 receptions in PAC 12 play for a little over 30 yards - not overly elusive nor a downfield threat. He would not be on the team if his dad was not the HC.

This is a very entertaining thread....

<sarcasm>Greyshirt all you Olinemen - great idea. I hope the rest of the PAC 12 does not find out about this </sarcasm>
Jay MacIntyre is not Scotty McKnight - he had 5 receptions in PAC 12 play for a little over 30 yards - not overly elusive nor a downfield threat. He would not be on the team if his dad was not the HC.
Exactly. We can discuss the merits of JMac all day long, but I think we can all agree that he would not be on scholarship if his Dad was not the coach. He would either be a walk-on at CU or on scholarship at Lipscomb.

Back