What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 Attrition Thread (Now Official): 8 gone (apsay, white, Center)

I remember when Hawk swore that Helfrich would decide who the starting QB would be. Totally his decision...guess who started.

I remember when Hawk swore that Helfrich would decide who the starting QB would be. Totally his decision...guess who started.

It's time to get over Dan Hawkins. He isn't our coach any more, he's gone, he's not anybody's coach.

Lot's of fans got burned by believing in Hawkins and had high expectations and ended up hating everything about him. M2 isn't Hawkins, his son isn't Cody. Time for people to get over it and give both M2 and his son a fair shot.

I can see why people are skeptical but to me it is ridiculous.

It's time to get over Dan Hawkins. He isn't our coach any more, he's gone, he's not anybody's coach.

Lot's of fans got burned by believing in Hawkins and had high expectations and ended up hating everything about him. M2 isn't Hawkins, his son isn't Cody. Time for people to get over it and give both M2 and his son a fair shot.

I can see why people are skeptical but to me it is ridiculous.
I don't care about Hawk, it's just laughable to suggest that an assistant coach can/will give an unbiased appraisal of his boss' kid.

I don't care about Hawk, it's just laughable to suggest that an assistant coach can/will give an unbiased appraisal of his boss' kid.

So by your thinking the son or daughter of the boss should never be given a shot in any business or organization.

Sorry, you are welcome to your opinion but I don't buy it.

Did you ever think that the coaches may be even more critical of the coaches kid. I would expect that this is more common than you think.

Back in 2010, my WW VP of Sales called me up and told me I should seriously consider hiring into a larger role a guy he had personally groomed. I didn't. 6 months later, I was under pressure for some arcane, indirect metric I had literally never heard of and was never openly discussed as a priority for my peer group despite easily being in the top 25% by all the primary metrics. In retrospect, not shocking.

In plain English, knowing what I know now, if my boss comes to me and says "what do you think?" about his son, I'm politely and graciously giving the most positive spin on it. If I disagree, I'm quietly looking for a new job and getting the **** out of there.

So by your thinking the son or daughter of the boss should never be given a shot in any business or organization.

Sorry, you are welcome to your opinion but I don't buy it.

Did you ever think that the coaches may be even more critical of the coaches kid. I would expect that this is more common than you think.
Is this post serious? Your position is admirable, but I choose to live in reality.

I was the only kid on my grade school football team that my dad slapped upside the head.

With all of the talk of Jay Mac and our limited number of scholarships, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned to take him off scholarship. I know that's not "nice" but when else would a coach have an opportunity to "buy" another scholarship, for what, $30k (two more years in-state)? Make Jay a WO in title only and foot the bill. It would allow us to get another player in the building without having to run-off Rippy or another disappointing player and risk what some people think would be Armageddon if the coach pushed out an under-performing player. Plus, wouldn't Jay be the most understanding/forgiving of MM?

Is there some reason this could be detrimental? I.e. would Jay no longer be able to travel somewhere or participate in something if he were only a WO?

1) HCMM and his wife already pay for a scholarship. I believe they endow 1 for the Women's LAX team. Since all scholarships are for out of state tuition rates, they are all equal across all sports.
2) I think this type of situation would be frowned upon by the NCAA. Kid gets scholarship. Coach pulls scholarship and personally pays for kid to walk on in order to make room for another kid.

With all of the talk of Jay Mac and our limited number of scholarships, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned to take him off scholarship. I know that's not "nice" but when else would a coach have an opportunity to "buy" another scholarship, for what, $30k (two more years in-state)? Make Jay a WO in title only and foot the bill. It would allow us to get another player in the building without having to run-off Rippy or another disappointing player and risk what some people think would be Armageddon if the coach pushed out an under-performing player. Plus, wouldn't Jay be the most understanding/forgiving of MM?

Is there some reason this could be detrimental? I.e. would Jay no longer be able to travel somewhere or participate in something if he were only a WO?
Interesting point...Mac makes $2M+ a year.

1) HCMM and his wife already pay for a scholarship. I believe they endow 1 for the Women's LAX team. Since all scholarships are for out of state tuition rates, they are all equal across all sports.
2) I think this type of situation would be frowned upon by the NCAA. Kid gets scholarship. Coach pulls scholarship and personally pays for kid to walk on in order to make room for another kid.
I don't see how their endowment is relevant.

I'm sure it would be frowned upon, but are we trying to play big boy football or be the preeminent rule followers?

I'm sure it would be frowned upon, but are we trying to play big boy football or be the preeminent rule followers?

They would likely stop paying for that WLax scholarship under your scenario - basically you'd be taking from WLax to give to football.

Given the visibility of that particular situation, I think the NCAA would be swift in busting our ass for it. We don't carry the clout nationally to get away with that garbage.

Absinthe got it for me.

The only reason they gave the scholarship to WLAX is because of the one they are using for Jay in football?

If MMac is here for another ten years do they keep paying for the endowed scholarship or is it understood that that will go away once Jay graduates?

The only reason they gave the scholarship to WLAX is because of the one they are using for Jay in football?

If MMac is here for another ten years do they keep paying for the endowed scholarship or is it understood that that will go away once Jay graduates?

They are doing it to help out the athletic department as a whole. Also helping out a brand new sport at the university. They spend 60-70k a year for out of state tuition because of the scholarship. I highly doubt they would willingly double that, just from a fiscal point of view.

It is awfully easy to spend someone elses money isn't it.

They are doing it to help out the athletic department as a whole. Also helping out a brand new sport at the university. They spend 60-70k a year for out of state tuition because of the scholarship. I highly doubt they would willingly double that, just from a fiscal point of view.

It is awfully easy to spend someone elses money isn't it.
I think his point is that, MM would not be paying for that scholarship if Jay Mac wasn't on full ride for football. Regardless, Jay Mac will not have his scholarship pulled, so there's no point in even talking about it.

1. There are several benefits allowed to scholarship athletes that are not allowed for non scholarship athletes (training table is one, there are several others).
2. The NCAA doesn't give a **** if a coach moves someone off scholarship in order to give that scholarship to someone else. A D1 basketball coach did this with his son a few years ago.
3. The MacIntyre family is paying a lot more for JMac's college doing it this way than they would have if he was non-scholarship and they were paying for everything.
4. He was/is an average guy in his recruiting class - there is absolutely no reason to think that he pushed out a "better" recruit. Look at the bottom of that class, had they not taken him, they probably would have taken someone below the lowest rated player they did take - and we would be bitching about the wasted scholarship right about now. At least this way it went to someone who's actually seen the field.
5. Five to seven receivers see the field every game. Other receivers will get lots of opportunities to prove they should be out there instead.

As far as I'm concerned coaches soon or not J Mac deserves and earned his scholarship. Is he our best WR? No, he also isn't the worst and has contributed on the field. He probably won't break any records but we'll probably look back on him and say he was a solid contributor on the team.

As far as I'm concerned coaches soon or not J Mac deserves and earned his scholarship. Is he our best WR? No, he also isn't the worst and has contributed on the field. He probably won't break any records but we'll probably look back on him and say he was a solid contributor on the team.

Scored more TD's than two or three other scholarship receivers. Would he have been on the radar of our coaches if not HCMM's kid? Probably not. He has competed and contributed though.

He is a guy that is a good teammate apparently, and by all reports works harder than most because his Dad is coach. Nothing wrong with adding character and work ethic to the locker room. We could use more of it honestly.

IMO, the issue with J Mac is that he gets open right out of his breaks but our QBs rarely had their timing and decision making down enough to hit receivers that early. He also didn't see the field a ton because of his blocking but that can be improved on going into his sophomore season.

I'd really like to hear the deal with Rippy. Last spring it seemed like JMFL was counting on him. Then he basically didn't travel or play. But yet he's still listed on roster. WTF?

Supposed to be announcement of some more attrition soon. Possibly today.

They would likely stop paying for that WLax scholarship under your scenario - basically you'd be taking from WLax to give to football.

That is correct. Can you think of any other P5 school besides CU that takes from football to give to a non-revenue sport in such a direct redistribution of wealth?

That is correct. Can you think of any other P5 school besides CU that takes from football to give to a non-revenue sport in such a direct redistribution of wealth?

Many schools use revenue generated by football to fund most of if not their entire AD - so yeah i could come up with a few like Texas, Oklahoma, or Alabama.

Many schools use revenue generated by football to fund most of if not their entire AD - so yeah i could come up with a few like Texas, Oklahoma, or Alabama.
Abs----follow the advice of your own signature quote in dealing with Big Jim; its just too obvious why.

C'mon...it has been at least five years after Dan Hawkins has left and Cody Hawkins did the best with his abilities given what he had to deal with while at CU.

Some say JMac got no other P5 offers...could it be due to the fact that those P5 schools expected JMac to play for his father in Boulder and didn't waste their time with JMac?

Simply put, the reason why JMac is getting more opportunities to play is due to the fact that the older players who play his position aren't getting it done. If they were, we would be all wondering what could have been done with JMac's scholarship since he would be riding the bench. I understand that Cody Hawkins might have been given the starting QB job under unfair circumstances but we are essentially comparing apples to oranges with the Hawkins and MacIntyres.

Back