What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Colorado Football Schedule & Future Schedules

Another thing I just noticed is that the 2018 Pac-12 opponents were released... and the Buffs miss both Stanford and Oregon from the North.

5 conference home games, no UO or Furd, CSU & New Hampshire in the non-con. Also have that trip to Nebraska. That sets up to be a heck of a good year for CU and its fans.

As far as conference scheduling is concerned:

As of 2018 we will have played:
Cal (4)
Stanford (4)
Oregon (6)
OSU (6)
UW (6)
WSU (6)

We must play each team 8 times in the 12yr cycle, so a heavy dose of the bay area is coming up.

As far as conference scheduling is concerned:

As of 2018 we will have played:
Cal (4)
Stanford (4)
Oregon (6)
OSU (6)
UW (6)
WSU (6)

We must play each team 8 times in the 12yr cycle, so a heavy dose of the bay area is coming up.
No, I don't think the schedule works that way. It does not even out over time.

The Cali schools play each other every year. That means that over time, we play Cal & Stanford less, and the other P12 North schools more.

The Cali schools play each other every year. That means that over time, we play Cal & Stanford less, and the other P12 North schools more.
Gotcha. That little hiccup probably explains why the schedules past 2018 are not yet known.

Actually looking at it, unless the pac-12 does something weird after year 8, the cycle should repeat in 2019.

Meaning the CU 2019 football schedule would be

CSU
Nebraska
AFA
H - USC UofA Oregon, and WSU
A - UCLA, ASU, UU, UW, and Stanford

Ouch.

Last edited:

Yep. They're thinking about giving that up, too. It could also be the very thing (if expansion takes place) that drives Pac-16 pod scheduling of 3+2+2+2 within the Pac plus 3 non-conference games.

Yep. They're thinking about giving that up, too. It could also be the very thing (if expansion takes place) that drives Pac-16 pod scheduling of 3+2+2+2 within the Pac plus 3 non-conference games.

The pod thing is really the only scheduling system that makes any sense when you have 16 teams. It is of course why it won't happen...

I'm pretty sure that we avoid Oregon for six years after we finish playing them six straight times (so after this year).

I'm pretty sure that we avoid Oregon for six years after we finish playing them six straight times (so after this year).
Nope. We avoid them for 2 (or maybe 4) years. Then they're back. Like we're noting, it does not even out over time.

Nope. We avoid them for 2 (or maybe 4) years. Then they're back. Like we're noting, it does not even out over time.

Basically if the schedule is an 8 year cycle we get every team but Stanford/Cal 6 times. Then get the bay area 4 times.

I don't wanna .play NDSU, we better get good before then. They beat D1 teams all the time. Aren't they moving up this year?

Actually, this is sort of complicated, but the math shows how it needs to work:

In a "normal" 12 team, two division, 9 game schedule, you play 4 out of division games a year split among 6 teams, so in 6 years, you have 24 total games that splitting among 6 teams, so you're going to play everyone 4 times ( 24/6 = 4 )

But Cal and Stanford play USC and UCLA every year. So look at it from Cal's perspective: they only have 2 out of division games a year to split among 4 teams. So in 6 years, they only have 12 games to split among 4 teams, so they will only play everyone 3 times ( 12/4 = 3 ).

Now, switch to our perspective: we will only play Cal and Stanford 3 times each over this same 6 years. So, for our 24 out of division games, 3 go to Stanford and 3 go to Cal, which means that we are left with 18 games to split among the other 4 North division schools, so we're going to play them 4.5 times each (or really, 4 games against 2 of them and 5 against the other 2) ( 18/4 = 4.5).

That pesky half game in the last calculation means we're looking at a 12 year cycle just to get to whole games against each opponent. But it works out to mean that in 12 years we will play cal and furd 6 times, and Oregon (and the rest of the north) 9 times.

And, that pesky odd number at the end of the last calculation ultimately means the entire cycle takes 24 years to complete with even home/away games before it will start to repeat.

As far as NDSU, let's not overthink that. Its eight years from now. If we want to, we can probably buy them out pretty easily and replace them with Northern Colorado or a bad Big Sky team. As far as K-State, thats probably about an easy road trip as much as anything. As I'm sure I've mentioned before on here, I grew up in the mid 90s after the championship season, and I don't remember the train wreck that KSU was before Snyder got there. It'll be fun for my point of view to play them again, but I get it if you criticize that. Nevertheless, RG killed the CSU series. He can use that flexibility however he wants and I'm not going to be critical.

Looks like the RMS is getting renewed and games will be played on campus.

Earliest CU could host would be 2023 after a 2-year hiatus. There's room every year from that point on for the game.

That blows. We have precious few OOC games. I hate to waste one on CSU. Really disappointing.

It's pretty much a guaranteed sold out game which also does a lot for university partners in the Boulder business community. I can see why it makes sense to do this. And, frankly, it's not like we don't talk about CSU more than any other program on Allbuffs. There is a ton of interest in this game... even if it's interest in expressing how much we hate it.

It's pretty much a guaranteed sold out game which also does a lot for university partners in the Boulder business community. I can see why it makes sense to do this. And, frankly, it's not like we don't talk about CSU more than any other program on Allbuffs. There is a ton of interest in this game... even if it's interest in expressing how much we hate it.
I get there is interest. But there would be a ton of interest in games against Wyoming, Air Force, and many other OOC foes. The beauty of CU has always been the willingness to schedule anyone (Georgia, Michigan, Nubs, etc). I just think with a very small OOC schedule in the new PAC, I'd rather see something different. The CU-CSU game is tired and boring.

So basically no chance of getting a name team in Boulder?

Yeah, great.

One of the Nebraska games might be in Denver and it looks like the aTm will be. But I'd call TCU, GA Tech, Minnesota and Kansas State pretty good home dates as we look at the future schedules.

I get there is interest. But there would be a ton of interest in games against Wyoming, Air Force, and many other OOC foes. The beauty of CU has always been the willingness to schedule anyone. I just think with a very small OOC schedule in the new PAC, I'd rather see something different.

I hear you. Ideally, I'd like to see a way to work it out so that over 8 years we play UNM, CSU, AFA and WYO twice each. I'd enjoy the regional action, we'd get great attendance, and those would be road trips I'd do if we were talking once every 8 years. I can't see myself driving to any of them every other year, though, including CSU.

One of the Nebraska games might be in Denver and it looks like the aTm will be. But I'd call TCU, GA Tech, Minnesota and Kansas State pretty good home dates as we look at the future schedules.

I don't consider those "name" teams. Your mileage may vary and that is fine. I find it rather boring.

KJuco is going to fall apart once Darth Snider retires.

Minnesota? C'mon. How often do they finish in the top third of the Big 10?

TCU is riding a nice wave right now. Do you really expect it to continue?

GA Tech.... I get that one. ACC team and we have a score to settle with them that will solve nothing. But I want those bastards to go down in flames in both games.

This "games in Denver" crap has to end.

I think he mean New Mexico man. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Minny, there is a certain poster here that would like it.

Should be 2 in Boulder for every 1 in Ft Fun. Hope we see something more in line with this thanew 1 for 1. Also, make it 3 games over 5 to 7 years and not every year. Will be interesting to see the terms when it gets announced.

Should be 2 in Boulder for every 1 in Ft Fun. Hope we see something more in line with this thanew 1 for 1. Also, make it 3 games over 5 to 7 years and not every year. Will be interesting to see the terms when it gets announced.
Yep that's where I'm at on it. When is the last time we played in Boulder, I wanna say 2005?

**** - I bet I know what's going to happen:

Whatever it is, RG got them to agree to move the 2019 game out of Denver and into Boulder. Which would enable him to put the 2019 NU game in Denver.

Separate thought:
When is their stadium going to be ready?

If it's ready for 2017, I could see RG giving them a home-home for this change to the current series:

2017 - Ft Collins (giving us the opportunity to **** on their opening day)
2018 - Boulder
2019 - Boulder (would let RG move NU to Denver)
2020 - Ft Collins

I've despised the series in the past, but I think going forward, we kick the hell out of them. The P5 realities are starting to set in and are creating a bigger divide. That is my opinion and only time will tell.

I'd like to play them later in the season as they have their best chance of an upset in week 1 and it diminishes by week after that as teams get things figured out. The element of surprise fades away. Depth issues start to emerge as well. Let's play them on Thanksgiving!

I've despised the series in the past, but I think going forward, we kick the hell out of them. The P5 realities are starting to set in and are creating a bigger divide. That is my opinion and only time will tell.

I'd like to play them later in the season as they have their best chance of an upset in week 1 and it diminishes by week after that as teams get things figured out. The element of surprise fades away. Depth issues start to emerge as well. Let's play them on Thanksgiving!
Can't make CU look any more small time than doing that.

Back