What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

With little (if any) drama left as the 2015 recruiting cycle wraps up, time to turn attention to the 2016 recruiting class. It will likely be the smallest class numbers-wise in several years, with an early estimation at 15-16 scholarships to give.

Early offers seem to indicate RB as a big priority in the next class (8 reported offers), and WR is also likely to be a priority on offense. On defense, the secondary will likely be the main focus.

Turning to in-state recruiting, it looks to be another average year for in-state prospects. Early names in the state of Colorado to watch:

1. Carlo Kemp: Without a doubt, the prize of the 2016 class and arguably the best college prospect in the state as a junior. Will be very hard to keep him in-state.

2. JoJo Domann: The latest college prospect out of the Colorado Springs area, Domann already holds a CU offer and will be an early enrollee in December. Expect him to approach double digit P5 offers.

3. Matt Lynch: Committed to the previous CSU staff under Jim McElwain and is being evaluated by our staff.

4. Ashton Torres: Looked to be a surefire P5 prospect heading into his junior season, but apparently struggled at times. Our staff has been in contact.

5. Dillon Reinkensmeyer: May end up being the best OL prospect in the state for 2016. Getting many looks from Pac-12 schools and will likely camp at CU.

Turning to the overall outlook for the 2016 class, obviously expectations will be pretty low coming off a 2-10 season. It will likely take a bowl season to gain any traction with blue chips. That said, there are some questions to be answered in this recruiting class that could tell us a lot about this staff going forward:

Q: Can this staff gain any traction in Texas?
A: When Steven Montez signs his LOI in February, he will be just the third Texan to sign with the Buffs in the two full recruiting cycles since MacIntyre took over as head coach. Of those three signees, not one of them has hailed from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex or the Houston area, two of the top ten metropolitan areas in the country. Furthermore, the coaches are struggling to even get Texas kids on to campus for official visits. If the struggles continue in 2016 after a defensive coaching staff shakeup, it might be time to write off Texas as a major part of MacIntyre's recruiting strategy.

Q: Will the Colorado players stay home?
A: As mentioned above, it appears to be a relatively average year for Colorado prep recruiting, but the coaches have extended two offers and will likely extend at least a few more. The in-state recruiting has been a cornerstone of this coaching staff's recruiting efforts, but can they continue that trend? While Kemp seems like a pipe dream at this point, Domann may be this year's Tim Lynott, the recruit that gives an indication of the staff's overall effectiveness.

Q: What effect does the departure of Andy LaRussa have on Hawaiian recruiting and Polynesian recruiting in general?
A: The new defensive coaching hires will play a part in answering this question, but there is no question LaRussa's departure came at a bad time for the 2015 class. The Buffs had successfully convinced several Poly players to visit in early December and it even looked like some of those players left Boulder with the Buffs as clear leaders. Fast forward nearly two months later and all that momentum seems to have evaporated. Is it is just a momentary hitch or have the Buffs suffered a more permanent setback?

Q: Can Gary Bernardi build upon the 2015 successes in Arizona?
A: With over two decades of coaching experience on the west coast, Bernardi has long-standing recruiting contacts across the West. In 2014, it was evident with several signings from private schools in southern California. In 2015, Bernardi dipped into the Phoenix area and nabbed three prospects. Just as importantly, the three prospects all hail from "name" schools in the Phoenix area. With so many Arizona prospects leaving the state to play college football, Bernardi has a chance to get more players in 2016.

Carlo Kemp has to be their top priority if they think they can keep him in Boulder. He's a top 160 recruit in the country (Per Rivals) as of right now, yet only has offers from CU, CSU and Boise St.

Kemp will have a lot of options this summer. I'm hopeful we can get in there for him, but like duff said, Dormann will be the true test this cycle. Nebraska already sniffing around and Dormann is good friends with Avery Anderson and Eric Lee (dun dun dun)

Texas is a major concern.

Considering that the Pac-12 has zero affiliation in Texas, might we be at a point where recruiting focus should shift to the Pac-12 footprint plus a "road warrior" who focuses on finding recruits in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Ohio, Georgia or wherever? Does it make sense for CU to even have 2 members of the coaching staff focused on Texas? Might 2 people be too little and a "half pregnant" approach to a state where you either have to be all-in or consider it an outlier recruiting grounds?

One other issue to be addressed is timing. By that I mean we really do not want to see a repeat of this month next year. Three weekends of official visits and we look to be hosting five total visitors. The coaches basically boiled recruiting down to two weekends in December and many of those visits were merely a formality, either players already committed or players very likely to commit. There has got to be more selectivity and a better way to maintain momentum throughout the recruiting cycle. Hell, use one of the weekends next January as an early Junior Day.

One other issue to be addressed is timing. By that I mean we really do not want to see a repeat of this month next year. Three weekends of official visits and we look to be hosting five total visitors. The coaches basically boiled recruiting down to two weekends in December and many of those visits were merely a formality, either players already committed or players very likely to commit. There has got to be more selectivity and a better way to maintain momentum throughout the recruiting cycle. Hell, use one of the weekends next January as an early Junior Day.

It looks like it's going to be very different next year with a first, early, signing period on December 16th-18th. Will that mean we have more in-season visits?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football-signing-period-december-recommended

Speaking of "Junior Day"... I haven't heard word one about CU hosting a group.

And now it's THREE Murphy's offered in 4-5 days, this one from Texas. We could become an all-time great Murphy laden team!

[tweet]559443284309708802[/tweet]

Jojo domann is very close to our staff. I want to say he'll be one of our first commits, but we'll see.

I'm never sure whether to make profiles based on scouting trips by the coaches. I'll keep an eye on this one, but I don't want to end up managing 500 profiles this year. :smile2:

I'm never sure whether to make profiles based on scouting trips by the coaches. I'll keep an eye on this one, but I don't want to end up managing 500 profiles this year. :smile2:

I wouldn't personally make up a profile on this young man (or anyone else) until a confirmed Buff offer is out. Mainly just posted what I did as a general "heads up" in case anyone else sees something later (or already knows something) about the Buffs and him. (Assume with all the interest from schools like Ohio State, etc., this young man could be a tough get for the Buffs in any case.)

There's a lot going on here:

[tweet]560157897980538881[/tweet]

Nik, make profiles for all these kids!

There's a lot going on here:

[tweet]560157897980538881[/tweet]

Nik, make profiles for all these kids!

I'll get right on that.

couch_potato.jpg

Another free one -- love giving this stuff away -- on 2016 Berthoud QB Cody Braesch. 6-foot-4 and still growing. Definitively needs to work on mechanics. Spring/summer will be big for him since he plays in 3A. http://rvls.co/1zYPixR

[tweet]560948079788969984[/tweet]

Talk about recruiting with the big boys. Early offers from USC and UCLA, among others. Theo can pick his college.

Back