What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017-18 Bowl Schedule Released

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-bowl-schedule.php
(All times Mountain)

Pac-12 bowls:

12/16, 1:30pm, ABC: Las Vegas Bowl (Pac-12 vs MWC)
12/26, TBA, ESPN: Cactus Bowl (Pac-12 vs Big Ten)
12/28, 7:00pm, ESPN: Alamo Bowl (Pac-12 vs Big 12)
12/29, 12:00pm, CBS: Sun Bowl (Pac-12 vs ACC/Notre Dame)
TBA, TBA, FOX: Foster Farms Bowl (Pac-12 vs Big Ten)
TBA, TBA, TBA: Holiday Bowl (Pac-12 vs Big Ten)

"New Year's Six" At-Large Bids (Pac-12 should get at least 1 with no Rose Bowl):

1/29, 6:30pm, ESPN: Cotton Bowl (TBA)
1/30, 2:00pm, ESPN: Fiesta Bowl (TBA)
1/1, 10:30am, ESPN: Peach Bowl (TBA)

Playoff:

1/1, 3:00pm, ESPN: Rose Bowl (TBA)
1/1, 6:45pm, ESPN: Sugar Bowl (TBA)
1/8, 6:00pm, ESPN: National Championship (TBA)

People in the east gonna be pissed that the 2nd game starts at 8:45 ET (if it starts on time) the day following a late night on New Year's Eve.
Not sure what they were thinking with that choice (8:45pm ET kickoff). The 1st falls on a Monday of a 3 day holiday weekend. No one is doing anything that day. Primetime seems to be earlier rather than later.

I'd like to see an 8-team playoff with the quarter on Xmas Eve, the semis on New Year's Day and the championship a night game about 10 days later.
This is my dream.

For now. Then I want to eliminate the bowl games and start the playoff series with a 32 team playoff the first week of December. Baby steps, though, baby steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even I am not overly interested in a 32 team playoff. 16 at max
I'm over the bowl system. To get college presidents to agree to removing a holiday trip with their top donors, you have to give them something else. It may be that 32 actually isn't enough for them on a risk basis, they may want 64. That would be around the current bowl system.

Sometimes, it doesn't matter what we want, it is what makes sense and is going to happen regardless of what we want.

I'd like to see an 8-team playoff with the quarters on Xmas Eve, the semis on New Year's Day and the championship a night game about 10 days later.

I ****ing hate games on Christmas Eve.

Let me have my family time without everyone feeling like they have to sit around the TV.

This is why I get pissed as all hell when the Broncos play on holidays

I like the bowls but 39 of them is to many. Not enough deserving BCS level teams

Poinsettia bowl gone without a replacement but need to eliminate at least 5 more. Should be no team in a bowl game that isn't better than .500 (no 6-6) or that won it's conference (this for the sake of the Sun Belt)

I like the bowls but 39 of them is to many. Not enough deserving BCS level teams

Poinsettia bowl gone without a replacement but need to eliminate at least 5 more. Should be no team in a bowl game that isn't better than .500 (no 6-6) or that won it's conference (this for the sake of the Sun Belt)
You don't have to watch.

You don't have to watch.

You are correct, and a lot of people don't watch the tail end games. I tend to watch as many as I can and enjoy them but I think that when you end up taking a sub .500 team like they have a couple times in recent years it diminishes the reward value. I also think that cutting a few of the very marginal bowls would make the middle level bowls that much more valuable for broadcast, reduce some of the saturation.

You are correct, and a lot of people don't watch the tail end games. I tend to watch as many as I can and enjoy them but I think that when you end up taking a sub .500 team like they have a couple times in recent years it diminishes the reward value. I also think that cutting a few of the very marginal bowls would make the middle level bowls that much more valuable for broadcast, reduce some of the saturation.
Execs at ESPN don't agree with you. They bought another one this year a day or two ahead of all those personnel layoffs. https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Weekend-Rap/2017/04/23/Miami-Beach-Bowl.aspx

I ****ing hate games on Christmas Eve.

Let me have my family time without everyone feeling like they have to sit around the TV.

This is why I get pissed as all hell when the Broncos play on holidays
There's this new technology called DVR...

I love games on holidays. Means I don't have to talk to my family.

All of these should be dumped. Like yesterday.
Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Dollar General Bowl
AutoNation Cure Bowl
Frisco Bowl
NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl

All of these should be dumped. Like yesterday.
Raycom Media Camellia Bowl
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
Dollar General Bowl
AutoNation Cure Bowl
Frisco Bowl
NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl
Why? All I see is more players getting a fun trip together to celebrate the season, a good event for the host location, and a money maker for media companies, NCAA & conferences. No one forces me to watch.

I'd like to see an 8-team playoff with the quarters on Xmas Eve, the semis on New Year's Day and the championship a night game about 10 days later.

100% agree with this. I think 8 is perfect. That way the Western Michigans (highly doubt they'll sustain), Boise States etc would get one maybe two in as well.

Why? All I see is more players getting a fun trip together to celebrate the season, a good event for the host location, and a money maker for media companies, NCAA & conferences. No one forces me to watch.

I'm not finding any recent articles, but it has been reported that many bowls are financial pits for schools. After paying for travel and a ticket allotment that is nearly impossible to sell in certain cases the schools end up taking a hit. Or at least that's how the stories from '13 and '09 that popped up with a quick google go on the matter.

To that end, I think it's on the schools and athletic departments to decide if it's a worthwhile investment in the branding of the program, experience for the players etc. etc.

I'm not finding any recent articles, but it has been reported that many bowls are financial pits for schools. After paying for travel and a ticket allotment that is nearly impossible to sell in certain cases the schools end up taking a hit. Or at least that's how the stories from '13 and '09 that popped up with a quick google go on the matter.

To that end, I think it's on the schools and athletic departments to decide if it's a worthwhile investment in the branding of the program, experience for the players etc. etc.
This.

It was either this year or the year before that at least one school refused its bowl invite because it would cost the school too much money - and at least one other school was going to turn an invite down until a last minute donor underwrote the costs.

The bowl agreements are not a good deal for the schools that really should probably be looking at playing FCS ball.

Back