What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 College Football News

That could mean almost anything though. I think it is important if you are going to criticize NCAA non-action to have a baseline punishment in mind. Because it then it just becomes a free for all.

This isn't giving a kid a cheeseburger, a car or a couple hundred bucks. This is sexual assault on the kids the NCAA should be protecting. Shut down the AD's at places like Penn State, Baylor, MSU for 5 years. Make a statement. Make those schools go to court to argue in front of God and everybody why their institutions of higher learning are OK with fostering and protecting sex abusers.

This isn't giving a kid a cheeseburger, a car or a couple hundred bucks. This is sexual assault on the kids the NCAA should be protecting. Shut down the AD's at places like Penn State, Baylor, MSU for 5 years. Make a statement. Make those schools go to court to argue in front of God and everybody why their institutions of higher learning are OK with fostering and protecting sex abusers.

It feels great to say, but the NCAA has a narrow focus. Dramatically expanding that focus is going to end badly.

Should the NCAA get involved with the Maryland case even if they weren't practicing beyond the allotted time or breaking any other rules? Seems that was a legal issue and a medical malpractice issue, not an NCAA issue.

I'd like to hear what our law guys and gals on the board have to say about this. It definitely needs to change but how the hell would you go about that change?

Legal issues are not automatically outside the scope of an employer. If I commit a crime, my employer reserves the right to punish me, up to and including termination. If other are aware of my crime and don't report it, they are also subject to some form of punishment.

Legal issues are not automatically outside the scope of an employer. If I commit a crime, my employer reserves the right to punish me, up to and including termination. If other are aware of my crime and don't report it, they are also subject to some form of punishment.
Sure. But the NCAA is not the employer. The NCAA does not own the universities.

Here are the NCAA D1 By-Laws: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=32876

There are tons of rules related to amateurism, financial reporting and competition. They have stuff about student-athlete well-being in the opening that lays out their commitments and vision, but they don't actually have any rules related to that stuff other than to protect their amateur status and to make sure they have time for academics. They've also done some stuff on health with things like concussion protocols and limited days of full contact, multi-practice days in camp, etc.

That could mean almost anything though. I think it is important if you are going to criticize NCAA non-action to have a baseline punishment in mind. Because it then it just becomes a free for all.
In the military, if someone is pulled over for a DUI, they suffer whatever local enforcement hits them with. Then their commanding officer (NCAA) ALSO has the ability to punish them. Personally I think it should be like that with the NCAA. “You wanna be a part of this, you need to behave”.

Situations like this are not an either/or. Federal investigators can look into this and levy serious penalties (they did) and then the NCAA can come in and do the right thing by sending a message that protecting these kids is their top priority.
That’s not within their legislation. This was a criminal case.

But they didn't do ANYTHING. That is my point.

The entire gripe that I have is that the NCAA has just decided the MSU and BAylor cases are basically non-issues. It's disgusting.
But they didn't do ANYTHING. That is my point.

The entire gripe that I have is that the NCAA has just decided the MSU and BAylor cases are basically non-issues. It's disgusting.
They would have been sued if they intervened. Recall they screwed up in the PSU issue and had to walk it back.

I would not penalize the gymnastics program specifically, no. I would look to a penalty that impacts the university's bottom line across the board. You keep insinuating that having a team physician molest hundreds of young women is some kind of grey area. To me it is 100% black and white.
It’s ckear you don’t understand what the NCAA controls and doesn’t.

Sure. But the NCAA is not the employer. The NCAA does not own the universities.

Here are the NCAA D1 By-Laws: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=32876

There are tons of rules related to amateurism, financial reporting and competition. They have stuff about student-athlete well-being in the opening that lays out their commitments and vision, but they don't actually have any rules related to that stuff other than to protect their amateur status and to make sure they have time for academics. They've also done some stuff on health with things like concussion protocols and limited days of full contact, multi-practice days in camp, etc.
Okay, true, but they do make policies for their member institution, e.g. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Staying+in+Bounds+Final.pdf, which specifies rules, violations, and enforcement. It's not clear that this is fully accepted and I don't see a date on it, but it's on the ncaa.org site.

Edit: maybe these policies are just something the NCAA hopes its members will adopt and enforce.

Last edited:
I wish that the NCAA could and would deal with disgusting situations like MSU, Baylor, Miami, Penn State, etc. Unfortunately they lack the will and the authority.

College football is and has been a huge money business and has an inordinate amount of influence from big money boosters and alumni. The people and this money means that inevitably we continue to see programs corrupted in the name of wins and championships and the publicity that goes with them.

I really expect that at some point some US representative is going to take up the issue based and the damage done to women and minorities in too many programs. The result will be federal oversight under the authority of Title IX. The enforcement office as a federal office either under DOJ or D of Education will have subpoena powers to investigate.

The enforcement mechanism will be the ability to shut off federal funding from grants, research funding, and most importantly making a school ineligible to qualify for students using federally guaranteed student loans. This last one would virtually cripple many schools.

I wish that the NCAA could and would deal with disgusting situations like MSU, Baylor, Miami, Penn State, etc. Unfortunately they lack the will and the authority.

College football is and has been a huge money business and has an inordinate amount of influence from big money boosters and alumni. The people and this money means that inevitably we continue to see programs corrupted in the name of wins and championships and the publicity that goes with them.

I really expect that at some point some US representative is going to take up the issue based and the damage done to women and minorities in too many programs. The result will be federal oversight under the authority of Title IX. The enforcement office as a federal office either under DOJ or D of Education will have subpoena powers to investigate.

The enforcement mechanism will be the ability to shut off federal funding from grants, research funding, and most importantly making a school ineligible to qualify for students using federally guaranteed student loans. This last one would virtually cripple many schools.
This would cause massive lawsuits.

If you want meaningful enforcement about non-competitive topics, get a czar.

And a ton of lawyers.

This would cause massive lawsuits.

If you want meaningful enforcement about non-competitive topics, get a czar.

And a ton of lawyers.

I don't know that it would create a ton of lawsuits but it would absolutely shake up the structure of college sports.

If the regulatory authority came from congress which would happen after a bunch of high profile hearings with lots of victims on display then the initial wave of lawsuits would get smashed and the schools would be forced to adjust their approach.

And directly from their Governance page on their website.
View attachment 26749
@Buffnik and @duffman , I literally already posted where the NCAA states in their governance section that they oversee player safety, particularly that of women athletes, and you guys keep posting that they don’t.

Even their website states that they were originally formed in 1906, with the first order being player safety. If your team physician raping you doesn’t fall under student athlete safety, I don’t know what does.

@Buffnik and @duffman , I literally already posted where the NCAA states in their governance section that they oversee player safety, particularly that of women athletes, and you guys keep posting that they don’t.

Even their website states that they were originally formed in 1906, with the first order being player safety. If your team physician raping you doesn’t fall under student athlete safety, I don’t know what does.
Their definition of safety isn't that broad. They set rules for equipment, practices and games in regards to player safety. That is what that means. That is all that means.

Edit: For example, when Jim Leavitt was accused of slapping a player and grabbing his throat it was not investigated by the NCAA. It was investigated by USF and it was up to USF to decide if it was warranted to impose any punishment on Leavitt.

What you posted amounts to several aspirational goals with very little teeth.

They state that and they promote that but they serve at the will of the member schools.

Any regulatory power they have is that which is given to them by the schools and to which the schools agree to honor. Beyond this they have nothing other than public appearance.

With the money involved the schools don't want the NCAA to have real power. They aren't going to go along with it.

Back