What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 CU Football Scholarship Roster

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
8/17/18 update:

PositionSeniorsJuniorsSophomoresFreshmen
QBn/aSteven Montez*Sam Noyer*Tyler Lytle*
Blake Stenstrom
TBKyle Evans*
Donovan Lee*
Travon McMillian*
Beau Bisharatn/aAlex Fontenot*
Jarek Broussard
Deion Smith
WRKabion Ento*
Jay MacIntyre*
Juwann Winfree*
Tony Brown*KD Nixon
Laviska Shenault
Maurice Bell*
Jaylon Jackson*
Daniel Arias
Dimitri Stanley
Dylan Thomas
TE/HBn/aChris Bounds*
Darrion Jones*
Jared PoplawskiBrady Russell*
OLJosh Kaiser*Aaron Haigler*
Tim Lynott*
Brett Tonz*
Kary Kutsch
Hunter Vaughn*
Chance Lytle*
Jake Moretti*
Heston Paige*
Colby Pursell*
Will Sherman*
Frank Fillip
Josh Jynes
Kanan Ray
Casey Roddick
NTJavier EdwardsLyle Tuiloma*n/aJalen Sami
DE/DTJase Franke*
Chris Mulumba*
n/aTerriek Roberts*
Mustafa Johnson
Israel Antwine
Terrance Lang*
Tava Finau
OLBn/aNJ Falo*
Davion Taylor
Alex Tchangam
Jacob CallierCarson Wells*
Joshka Gustav^
ILBRick Gamboa*
Drew Lewis*
n/aAkil Jones*
Nate Landman
Chase Newman*
Jon Van Diest*
CBn/aDelrick Abrams
Dante Wigley*
MeKhi Blackmon
Ronnie Blackmon*
Trey Udoffia*
Chris Miller*
LJ Wallace
SNick Fisher
Daniel Talley*
Kyle Trego
Evan Worthington*
n/aKevin George*
Aaron Maddox
Derrion Rakestraw*
Isaiah Lewis*
Hasaan Hypolite
Ray Robinson
STAlex Kinney (P)J.T. Bale (LS)
Davis Price
James Stefanou (K)n/a
TOTAL (83)17171716 RS / 16 True
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* = has redshirted
# = transfer who must redshirt
^ = grayshirting and not counted towards 2018 scholarship total

NOTE: We will only have 83 scholarship players during the fall because Hamilton and Moore count against the 85 limit this fall. Sanchez was going to count against the 85, but medically retired to free up that scholarship.

Last edited:
Of note, the NCAA maximum for D1 FBS is 85 scholarship players. At least 5 of these names will not be among the scholarship players for the 2018 season.

That will mean attrition (transfers, graduations or medical retirements). It could also include an incoming freshman or two greyshirting to delay his enrollment until January of 2019.

Last year after signing day, I believe that CU was at 89 scholarship players. We ended up heading to fall camp with 85. Then we had Sebastian Olver decide he didn't want to play football along with dismissals of Falo, Umu and Julmisse. Bale was granted a scholarship as our Snapper and Brown was brought in as a transfer at WR to bring the final season scholarship number to 83.

These things have a way of working their way out.

Sooooooo... who do we think is going to fall subject to attrition?
I'd like to avoid publicly speculating on the players that way. It can turn into bashing way too quickly without good moderation and, frankly, most of us mods are lazy, stupid or both. :D

I think we all know who has had injury struggles, hasn't been in the 2-deep rotations despite multiple years in the program, and who has likely been recruited over. Shouldn't be hard for anyone to go down that list and come up with 5+ names as potential candidates to graduate, medically retire or look for a better opportunity to see the field as a college football player.

My guesses (as all of these guys have been recruited over):
______ (Sr) and _______ (Jr) - Medical retirement
_____ (Sr) - Graduate and move on
_________ (Sr) - Graduate and move on

_____ (Sr) Medical retirement OR ___ (Sr) Graduate and move on due to the Mcmillian signing. 1 of the 2 need to make room.

______ (Sr) - Graduate and move on if we sign Casey Tucker
__________ (Jr) - Transfer out if we sign Dwayne Wallace

_______ (So) - Transfer out if we sign Tchangam

________ is very concerning to me. If we don't hear that he is practicing this Spring then I'll assume that he is a candidate for early retirement.

Last edited:
oops my bad for posting this before I saw your post. Take it down if you like.
Unless I just lock the thread, it's going to be the discussion and people will post. But knowing this is why I'd kept this behind the pay wall before and I'm hoping I didn't make a huge mistake.

Everyone, please be respectful of the players and their families in this thread. Any bashing will cause bans and whatnot.

Really excited to see some of these younger guys get more and more playing time. Some really great buffs in the JR and SR classes but there's so much talent coming up in the program.

That leaves: Chance Lytle, Colby Pursell who grayshirted, with Moretti, Paige, Sherman and Polley all in the same class.
I think that will take care of itself as 6 is a bit heavy.

The 2018 class likely redshirts en mass, and is fine.
Frank Fillip
Josh Jynes
Kanan Ray
Casey Roddick

He never Grayshirted. That link even states

He played 59 snaps in 2017, mostly STs.
Bizarre. This is good and I thought you were right, but I'd been going by the CU site. I'll edit here and in Barzil.

I'd like to avoid publicly speculating on the players that way. It can turn into bashing way too quickly without good moderation and, frankly, most of us mods are lazy, stupid or both. :D

I think we all know who has had injury struggles, hasn't been in the 2-deep rotations despite multiple years in the program, and who has likely been recruited over. Shouldn't be hard for anyone to go down that list and come up with 5+ names as potential candidates to graduate, medically retire or look for a better opportunity to see the field as a college football player.

Also need to be careful in assuming that a kid isn't going to contribute.

It isn't often but every once in a while some guy who everyone has written off who then has the light turn on and makes a big jump forward. You can't build a program hoping for this to happen but these guys we are thinking about still should have spring to show they should stay.

Vaughn ended up not GSing. I don’t remember clearly but I think it was the Patrick Carr news that made room for Vaughn (also that he made noticeable gains with McChesney).

Any chance we could have the redshirt freshman and true freshman split up into separate columns? No big deal if not. I just view the breakdown as five classes instead of four.

Any chance we could have the redshirt freshman and true freshman split up into separate columns? No big deal if not. I just view the breakdown as five classes instead of four.
I'm not going to do that, but I can add the box where it's totaled to break it out as RS-Frosh & True Frosh numbers.

That O-line class balance is scary but promising at the same time.. 2019 especially could see a huge step up if they stay together and healthy. 3 of them I believe will start in 2019 and then 2 from the intriguing freshman class.

That O-line class balance is scary but promising at the same time.. 2019 especially could see a huge step up if they stay together and healthy. 3 of them I believe will start in 2019 and then 2 from the intriguing freshman class.
Really does highlight how much a proven starter would help if we could get a grad transfer senior this offseason. It's the biggest hole on the roster in terms of risks/unknowns heading into the 2018 season. That one guy would do so much to bridge this year to the future on the OL where in 2019 we'll have several experienced 5th year seniors and a bunch of 3rd year sophomores.

Really does highlight how much a proven starter would help if we could get a grad transfer senior this offseason. It's the biggest hole on the roster in terms of risks/unknowns heading into the 2018 season. That one guy would do so much to bridge this year to the future on the OL where in 2019 we'll have several experienced 5th year seniors and a bunch of 3rd year sophomores.
Casey Tucker come on down.

Did Shutack get put on scholarship or is he a walk on? If we are at 90 now and looking for a grad transfer, will he have to stay as a walk on paying out of state tuition?
I was very hopeful he could get in the 2 deep at OL, but you would think he would have been put on scholarship if that was the case.
If Shutack isn't stepping forward hopefully Vaugh, Lytle or Paige can.

Did Shutack get put on scholarship or is he a walk on? If we are at 90 now and looking for a grad transfer, will he have to stay as a walk on paying out of state tuition?
I was very hopeful he could get in the 2 deep at OL, but you would think he would have been put on scholarship if that was the case.
If Shutack isn't stepping forward hopefully Vaugh, Lytle or Paige can.
He is a walk-on. Definitely the caliber of player that CU might have offered coming out of high school. So the fall and this spring are likely an audition for the possibility of being put on scholarship. Definitely a name to watch. He's a RS-Junior for the 2018 season. 6'6" 290.

Added Tchangam and Loy. Buffs are now at 92 on the scholarship count. Start of spring ball is going to include a lot of attrition announcements, I'd guess.

Of note, the NCAA maximum for D1 FBS is 85 scholarship players. At least 5 of these names will not be among the scholarship players for the 2018 season.

That will mean attrition (transfers, graduations or medical retirements). It could also include an incoming freshman or two greyshirting to delay his enrollment until January of 2019.

Last year after signing day, I believe that CU was at 89 scholarship players. We ended up heading to fall camp with 85. Then we had Sebastian Olver decide he didn't want to play football along with dismissals of Falo, Umu and Julmisse. Bale was granted a scholarship as our Snapper and Brown was brought in as a transfer at WR to bring the final season scholarship number to 83.

These things have a way of working their way out.

Any news on Umo or Julmisse coming back to the program?

Back