What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 MBB Recruit Profile Index

Fair, but I disagree a little. Yes, blue bloods will get their lion share of the best recruits, but there are plenty of quality guys after the fringe one-and-done guys. After Tad set a foundation of success, I thought he could be going after better rated prospects, and he was going after top 100-150 guys. He even went after Dorsey. I feel that this should be the case every year - and our class ranking should routinely be in the 20-30s.

Yes, I agree though that matching last year's class was going to be tough, particularly due to the class imbalance we have right now. However, I don't think going after underrated guys is the way to go. I know Tad likely is going after higher rated guys we don't know about, but I will say I am underwhelmed right now. I think it's reasonable to expect solid 150 guys every year with a top 50 guy on occasion.

I think we will have to have some attrition...I still don't get some of the guys on the squad, but whatever - have to trust Coach overall. I think we must get a big with our last scholarship. Some fans are in love with Dallas, but he's a complete unknown at this point. Granted he was coming off big knee injuries, but his HS tape shows nothing to think he'll be a force. He's an intriguing prospect with much potential. We need someone to help clear boards and offer length as insurance.

What I don't get is why we lean so much on the ratings for these kids. I mean what is a rating afterall? It's a bunch of opinions and stats slapped together. Frankly, and I don't know much about Elijah Parquet, but this Daylen Kountz kid can flat out play and looks like he has a full package : Terrific ball handling skills, can dribble drive and is smart, and can shoot from all over the yard. I realize that he's not a 4* or 5* recruit, but my question is why isn't he? Most of the time when a kid -like this- isn't getting a higher rating it's due to a lack of overall exposure, not necessarily because he's not as good as some kid with 4 stars or 5 stars next to his name. Plus everyone knows that as soon as you get a bigger name school giving you a look your stock immediately rises as well, it's all politics and bull****. Daylen can do all of the same things that other great players can do, and he's proven it against the best competition he's faced. Look I'm not a HUGE Daylen Kountz supporter or follower, I don't know him anymore than I know any of you guys, but I know a player when I see it. Daylen Kounts is a terrific pick-up (regardless) for CU. Just like Corey Higgins (not highly recruited), Alec Burks (although his stock went up big right at the end of his Sr. year), Andre Roberson (not highly recruited), George King (whom no one knew much about) and Mac Wright (not many people saw that coming).

[QUOTE=" Plus everyone knows that as soon as you get a bigger name school giving you a look your stock immediately rises as well, it's all politics and bull****. .[/QUOTE]

Agree ... ratings, for maybe other than the top 2%, are often a triumph of perception management over reality. There is a lot of that going around in our society today ... see "politicians" .

Based on Adam's recent reporting and news of this Williams visit, looks like Boyle is not looking for a wing for this position. Looking at bigs and also at big time take guards. I personally prefer a guard, preferably another one who can be a legit point guard. I've grown to like watching CU play offense with a legit point guard, and I don't want to go back to the dark days. I'm also worried his focus on bigs is related to uncertainty with Big Gravy. A positive take would be that the staff thinks we scored with our two guard recruits already in the fold. I may also just be seeing something that's not there

I like the idea of a guy with PG skills as well.

One of the things that has continued to frustrate me with Tad's teams is our inexplicable multi-minute scoring droughts when we can't seem to put points on the board to save our life.

It seemed like with Kin out there we didn't have as big a problem with it but it is still there. Having guys who can take charge with the ball may help alleviate that problem.

What I don't get is why we lean so much on the ratings for these kids. I mean what is a rating afterall? It's a bunch of opinions and stats slapped together. Frankly, and I don't know much about Elijah Parquet, but this Daylen Kountz kid can flat out play and looks like he has a full package : Terrific ball handling skills, can dribble drive and is smart, and can shoot from all over the yard. I realize that he's not a 4* or 5* recruit, but my question is why isn't he? Most of the time when a kid -like this- isn't getting a higher rating it's due to a lack of overall exposure, not necessarily because he's not as good as some kid with 4 stars or 5 stars next to his name. Plus everyone knows that as soon as you get a bigger name school giving you a look your stock immediately rises as well, it's all politics and bull****. Daylen can do all of the same things that other great players can do, and he's proven it against the best competition he's faced. Look I'm not a HUGE Daylen Kountz supporter or follower, I don't know him anymore than I know any of you guys, but I know a player when I see it. Daylen Kounts is a terrific pick-up (regardless) for CU. Just like Corey Higgins (not highly recruited), Alec Burks (although his stock went up big right at the end of his Sr. year), Andre Roberson (not highly recruited), George King (whom no one knew much about) and Mac Wright (not many people saw that coming).

You bring up an often argued discussion on these boards, although primarily done on the football recruiting boards. Sure, there are countless players that were 3 star guys that ended up having great college careers. My post that you're quoting is from a while back, and at that time, the only videos I could find were unimpressive. He was not so underwhelming at what his competition was like. There was a kid that looked all of 5'5" in one of the videos, and him rebounding against him showed nothing. The videos/highlights were poor - had nothing to do against Kountz. I just don't know anything about him, and at the time, there was not much to find out. Same with Parquet. Obviously, I hope they're both diamonds in the rough.

Even though he was a 3 star, I think many on these boards knew Wright was going to be good. I was one of them, and come on man, you had to have been too. Now, did I or anyone say he was going to be so impressive - no, but just based on his highlights and being named Mr Basketball for Minnesota spoke volumes. Regardless, I think the argument can rest on this. Stars ratings aren't a Bible, but I'll take a team full of 5 stars over a team of 3 stars, at the start of their college careers, ten days out of ten.

It is good to read you saying that Kountz is impressive though. The tapes I could find back then showed him being just fine.... ....but again,the competition and production were less than impressive.

I like the idea of a guy with PG skills as well.

One of the things that has continued to frustrate me with Tad's teams is our inexplicable multi-minute scoring droughts when we can't seem to put points on the board to save our life.

It seemed like with Kin out there we didn't have as big a problem with it but it is still there. Having guys who can take charge with the ball may help alleviate that problem.

One of Parquet or Kountz should be this imo. Brandon Williams is a must take, but if looking for just intriguing prospects to fill up a scholly, I feel like we've already sought after this extra PG skills player.

Not surprising that those are the schools left. I just hope it's Gonzaga (though the Pac-12 needs any talent that it can get). The more I think about it, the more I think that Tad is going JuCo or grad transfer guard. Which is much harder to track

Not surprising that those are the schools left. I just hope it's Gonzaga (though the Pac-12 needs any talent that it can get). The more I think about it, the more I think that Tad is going JuCo or grad transfer guard. Which is much harder to track

I also want the top players in the country to play in the Pac12 - desperately so. I don't care where they go - just join our conference and let's start challenging the ACC for best bball conference.

Back