What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 MBB Transfer Thread

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We'll focus on Pac-12 because there's no way that we'll want to track 800 frikin D1 transfers.

Tubby shouldn't have quit on the University of Tulsa then. Or the University of Georgia. Or Texas Tech.
There seems to be a generational thing with that, right? This attitude that young people need to know their place and pay their dues while giving total loyalty while the older adults above them can make selfish choices because they have somehow earned that.

There seems to be a generational thing with that, right? This attitude that young people need to know their place and pay their dues while giving total loyalty while the older adults above them can make selfish choices because they have somehow earned that.

There's something. Don't know if it's generational or just selfishness, but it's absolutely insane.

In today’s economy, young people in the corporate world move from job to job looking for a better deal. My and my wife’s “old fogie” view is that they tend to be selfish and sort of entitled. It appears that that, sort of, philosophical view is also held by college athletes.

In today’s economy, young people in the corporate world move from job to job looking for a better deal. My and my wife’s “old fogie” view is that they tend to be selfish and sort of entitled. It appears that that, sort of, philosophical view is also held by college athletes.
Why wouldn't you always be looking for the best deal possible? There is no loyalty in corporate America. Every generation complains the succeeding generations are lazy, way to stereotype.

Why wouldn't you always be looking for the best deal possible? There is no loyalty in corporate America.
I just think, as Nik points out, it’s a generational thing. Probably also related to a change in corporate America. But if a company, as many do, invests in an employee, isn’t there at least some obligation to make a return on that investment?

My experience is that when I stayed out of loyalty, my baby boomer boss refused to acknowledge my value and actively tried to screw me over despite a record setting year. In fact, he did screw me over. I then got a new job at a significant raise. I wish the old fogie view was correct, but it relies on something that doesn't exist: a business culture that values employees. That's not modern american business, at all.

My experience is that when I stayed out of loyalty, my baby boomer boss refused to acknowledge my value and actively tried to screw me over despite a record setting year. In fact, he did screw me over. I then got a new job at a significant raise. I wish the old fogie view was correct, but it relies on something that doesn't exist: a business culture that values employees. That's not modern american business, at all.
And I agree with you. If you get screwed by your employer you owe them nothing.

I don't get why you default to "if you get screwed..." - that's not the point. The point is that in the modern business world, it is common for an employer feels like it never owes its employees anything, ever, other than the benefits paid for work performed. The obligations end at the letter of the employment contract for the employer. The employee should treat the employer the same way in this world.

Exceptions happen, and those jobs often come with pay cuts, but I think you have to be careful assuming employees owe their employer anything but their labor.

I think that what we're seeing is that there's no reason to expect that an employer will do anything other than screw you as long as it's in their best interest.

All institutions in our society, actually.

So whether we're talking about our jobs or a college athlete's situation, the smart thing to do is to get the best deal for yourself that you can instead of staying in a less than ideal situation out of a misguided/ antiquated sense of loyalty.

I take care of my employees like they are family I like. Good for me, good for them and good for our clients. On a separate note, if we have an opening I hope we land a great transfer.

I want to find this magical workplace that actually invests in their employees.
I agree with you in general. About the only places that come close are start ups that are on a rapid growth trajectory. It's never about the cost of something - only about the ROI.

The moment those companies start having their growth flattened, they fall right in line with every other company.

I don't get why you default to "if you get screwed..." - that's not the point. The point is that in the modern business world, it is common for an employer feels like it never owes its employees anything, ever, other than the benefits paid for work performed. The obligations end at the letter of the employment contract for the employer. The employee should treat the employer the same way in this world.

Exceptions happen, and those jobs often come with pay cuts, but I think you have to be careful assuming employees owe their employer anything but their labor.
My bad. I thought you said your former employer screwed you.

I can vouch for this in a very personal way. You owe them nothing because you are number to them and they have never cared about you, your development or your family. Not saying that there are not family run businesses that are different but to public companies you are a cog or a part of what makes it work. They find a better way or leadership changes and you become expendable. Take care of your own and watch out for yourself.

I want to find this magical workplace that actually invests in their employees.
I worked for one of them. A Fortune 500 company with many employees. Started there in 1969 and it was like that for many years. But before I took early retirement in 2001 it had changed and not for the better. I count myself among the fortunate for having been able to have that kind of career.

I worked for one of them. A Fortune 500 company with many employees. Started there in 1969 and it was like that for many years. But before I took early retirement in 2001 it had changed and not for the better. I count myself among the fortunate for having been able to have that kind of career.

I suppose that would be IBM ... me too ... it was founded on principles and endured for many years ... a key one was "respect for the individual"

7-footer who played with Yaz in Antwerp, and struggled to find role at UW.

Van Vliet’s precipitous fall from starter to bench warmer in the span of weeks has been one of the more unusual storylines this season. Everyone in the program recognizes his impressive scoring ability. But the physicality and intensity required to play at this level are areas Van Vliet continues to hone this season.

Tad should have some big opportunities to have some of the strongest transfers look at this team as such an up and coming team. I hope he times his move perfectly, because if he jumps too soon, he may miss out on a stud later on. He should draw a line on the top 5-10 big men he really likes and if and when one of those pops, that is our guy!!!

Unless Tad totally gives up on defense, Van Vliet ain't coming here. Big body that can shoot, though.

Back