What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Men's basketball general off-seasons news thread

Yep, Gatling, Daniels, Lucas and Dombek give us some nice depth. Assuming Daniels and Dombek can play, we go 10 deep. Plus Parquet and Strating can provide some minutes.

This scenario worries me as this is where Tad falls down. When he has too many options he never settles on a solid 8-man rotation and everybody suffers.
Its weird that in basketball, having too many able bodies can be detrimental at times.

Between Wright, Gatling, Kountz, Schwartz, Bey, Battey, Walton, and Siewert, that's already 8 guys we know can play quality Pac 12 minutes.

That leaves Parquet, Daniels, Dombek, Strating, and potentially Ryder fighting for scraps. Out of that group there are potentially a few guys who could push for a spot in our top 8.

Tad really had no excuse not to have this team dancing next year. The talent and depth is the best he has had.

Especially if Daniels and Dombek are real at all, the competition for minutes should be fierce. Plus the scrimmages should better prepare them since you won't be practicing against walk ons. And some precious backup in case of injuries. The unknown is who ups their game duringthe off season. If we have 2 or 3 knock down consistent 3 point shooters then we are dangerous.

Next season holds promise the question is can certain players fill their roles? It can be a defining season for Boyle as well. Observations: The OOC has to be improved regardless if it means going on the road just has to. Bey for all of the game he has, he can't disappear for stretches or play a good half game. Hard to complain considering he was 1st team still more consistency in the mental aspect and he has no ceiling. The player I look forward most to see next season is Kountz, from the first 1/2 to the second half of the season he was a different player IMO the most improved on the team. Kountz probably won't start next year but I can see him being a legit P12 6th man candidate. Battey played some really good ball in stretches and showed some moxey when others might've folded, look forward to seeing his progression. After this season Seiwert seems to have stalled out, he can shoot but didn't seem to pick up other areas of his game which might've led to him not starting towards the end of the season.
The "Ifs": Walton is healthy and assuming he's matured in certain aspects the void that was obvious during this past season will be filled. If Tad will acknowledge...no lead is safe as we witnessed several times this season and coaches accordingly.

Welcome to Assistant Coach Anthony Coleman (if reports are true). You did good things for coach hurley, now do great things for a classier coach Tad Boyle!

No way you can keep Battey off the court. Dude is a difference maker. Best big man we have had since Jelly, and Battey plays a very different game than he did. He’s like a Wes Gordon with offensive skills.

No way you can keep Battey off the court. Dude is a difference maker. Best big man we have had since Jelly, and Battey plays a very different game than he did. He’s like a Wes Gordon with offensive skills.
I think Battey's game has the potential to develop similar to what type of numbers Dramond Green put up for Michigan State his last couple years -- 12-16 points/ 8-10 rebounds/ 3-4 assists while shooting over 35% from 3pt range. I think Battey will actually be more efficient on offense since I see him being capable of more in the post and with his 2pt% (Green was never over 50% from 2). I don't see Battey ever being as good on the defensive end with creating steals and I'm not sure he can guard as many positions, but he does have great feet for such a wide bodied guy.

I think Battey's game has the potential to develop similar to what type of numbers Dramond Green put up for Michigan State his last couple years -- 12-16 points/ 8-10 rebounds/ 3-4 assists while shooting over 35% from 3pt range. I think Battey will actually be more efficient on offense since I see him being capable of more in the post and with his 2pt% (Green was never over 50% from 2). I don't see Battey ever being as good on the defensive end with creating steals and I'm not sure he can guard as many positions, but he does have great feet for such a wide bodied guy.
Great feet, soft hands and great court vision. He knows where all the players are.

I love Bey and Kin, but Battey is probably my favorite Buff basketball player. Just so easy to root for. That probably makes me biased when it comes to my assessments of his abilities.

Siewert's plus was always shooting, but he lost that near the end of the year and plain could NOT shoot. I think his minutes are likely to be significantly reduced either way with Walton, Dombek and perhaps Ryder in contention for those. I heard good things about Ryder, albeit that was from his Mom. (really)

Hopefully Walton is healthy for next year. The combination of his skills and Battey's skills are going to pose tough problems for opponents as they are very different big men with complimentary games. How many teams have the ability to deal with either of them much less both.

Siewert's plus was always shooting, but he lost that near the end of the year and plain could NOT shoot. I think his minutes are likely to be significantly reduced either way with Walton, Dombek and perhaps Ryder in contention for those. I heard good things about Ryder, albeit that was from his Mom. (really)
You forgot Strating!

Don't want to sound cold but shouldn't we not expect much from Walton due to his knees?

Battey is nothing like Wes. Not on offense, not on defense, not on body type, and definitely not on personality or leadership. Bad comparison.
Wes Gordon - 6’9 245 lbs
Evan Battey - 6’8 - 265 lbs

My sincerest apologies for thinking they were anything alike.

They are nothing alike aside from both being rather tall basketball players. @'99 covered it above.
I know they’re different players. But they do share some characteristics, particularly their size and position. I KNOW they’re games are different, and I even said so.

Why is it that allbuffs hoops fans feel like they have to demonstrate their genius all the time? A simple “maybe a better example would be Rodell Guest” would have worked just fine. It makes it unpleasant to throw out a simple comment on a board that is kind of set up for people to make simple comments.

I know they’re different players. But they do share some characteristics, particularly their size and position. I KNOW they’re games are different, and I even said so.

Why is it that allbuffs hoops fans feel like they have to demonstrate their genius all the time? A simple “maybe a better example would be Rodell Guest” would have worked just fine. It makes it unpleasant to throw out a simple comment on a board that is kind of set up for people to make simple comments.

First, Evan Battey is a better Joe Burton.

Secon, you said he plays a different game than Josh Scott. It's literally in your quote here "He's like Wes Gordon with offensive skills". He is absolutely nothing like Wes Gordon. In reality, his offensive game is actually more similar to Josh's. Not exactly the same, but there are some similarities.

First, Evan Battey is a better Joe Burton.

Secon, you said he plays a different game than Josh Scott. It's literally in your quote here "He's like Wes Gordon with offensive skills". He is absolutely nothing like Wes Gordon. In reality, his offensive game is actually more similar to Josh's. Not exactly the same, but there are some similarities.
Fine. In a lame attempt to say how much I like Evan Batteys game, I made a poor comparison. Now everybody knows how smart you are.

Happy?

Fine. In a lame attempt to say how much I like Evan Batteys game, I made a poor comparison. Now everybody knows how smart you are.

Happy?

Can I put it in a context that maybe you'd understand? Saying Evan Battey is like Wes Gordon is akin to saying Chris Brown is like Darrell Scott. Because they are both running backs who were about 6'2 225.

Can I put it in a context that maybe you'd understand? Saying Evan Battey is like Wes Gordon is akin to saying Chris Brown is like Darrell Scott. Because they are both running backs who were about 6'2 225.
Sure. If it makes you feel better to point out - again - that my comparison is inaccurate - have at it.

It was an attempt to say how good Battey is, and somehow became a “you don’t know anything about basketball” thing.

Never change, allbuffs.

Sure. If it makes you feel better to point out - again - that my comparison is inaccurate - have at it.

It was an attempt to say how good Battey is, and somehow became a “you don’t know anything about basketball” thing.

Never change, allbuffs.

Make a terrible comparison, get called out, double down, play the victim card.

Never change, Not Sure.

I do love me some Evan Battey though. He's on the path to being a Phil Lindsay type personality for the basketball program.

Never change, allbuffs.

...you're taking things a bit personally here. You wrote that, "A simple, 'maybe a better example...'" and that's what you were provided. Keep posting, but don't get mad if people question or call our a statement. No one wrote that you don't know a thing about ball... ... ...but getting defensive obviously can escalate the tones of responses.

Don't want to sound cold but shouldn't we not expect much from Walton due to his knees?

That is why I started my comment with "hopefully Walton is healthy." Even if he is relatively healthy considering his history it would probably make sense to limit his minutes. Fortunately having Battey means that we won't have to rely on Walton for huge minutes. Having Frank Ryder available next year as a legitimate big man will also help in this regard along with Siewert.

In total Battey seems fully recovered from his health problem. The rest all have various question marks but in total we should be in better shape for big men than we have been since Jelly/Wes and in some ways more versatile and talented if things work out.

Back