What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Something about rats deserting a sinking ship. I don't blame him, actually. Daniels was anointed as the starter although he's done little to earn it.

This is potentially big news nationally.

Woodward hired Petersen at Washington and Fisher at A&M. He is considered a great AD and Orgeron is still considered a placeholder by a sizable contingent of LSU fans.

Fisher has $75 million guaranteed from A&M, but no buyout.

This is potentially big news nationally.

Woodward hired Petersen at Washington and Fisher at A&M. He is considered a great AD and Orgeron is still considered a placeholder by a sizable contingent of LSU fans.

Fisher has $75 million guaranteed from A&M, but no buyout.

Woodward’s inability to negotiate a more favorable contract with Fischer may end up coming back around to benefit him at LSU.

Woodward’s inability to negotiate a more favorable contract with Fischer may end up coming back around to benefit him at LSU.

I think there is a compelling argument that a fully guaranteed $75 million is enough to keep Fisher in College Station. That is a lot of money to give up.

I think there is a compelling argument that a fully guaranteed $75 million is enough to keep Fisher in College Station. That is a lot of money to give up.
You’re making the assumption that LSU wouldn’t offer him close to the same contract. It’s the same guy drawing up the proposal after all.

You’re making the assumption that LSU wouldn’t offer him close to the same contract. It’s the same guy drawing up the proposal after all.

An assumption with some very real grounding. A&M has more money to spend than LSU, a school which went through an ugly divorce with Les Miles, in large part due to money.

$75 million guaranteed is ridiculous. I do not think another school is going to go out on that limb anytime soon, if ever again. Schools with that type of money to throw around want more flexibility to fire coaches, not less.

An assumption with some very real grounding. A&M has more money to spend than LSU, a school which went through an ugly divorce with Les Miles, in large part due to money.

$75 million guaranteed is ridiculous. I do not think another school is going to go out on that limb anytime soon, if ever again. Schools with that type of money to throw around want more flexibility to fire coaches, not less.

Not only did LSU have that ugly divorce with Miles but the state has a major budget problem which is pushing hard on all programs at LSU https://www.thepicardgroup.com/news...-turned-the-tide-in-louisianas-budget-debate/
that are creating financial difficulties in the whole school. https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_3a68cdea-c0e0-11e8-8e98-83d967e6de10.html

Considering the cuts to various departments, reductions in teaching staff, increases in tuition, and other impacts the Athletic Department would have a real problem with public opinion if they gave out a contract like this one.

Football is important there but even it has it's limits.

LSU isn't even in the same hemisphere as Texas A&M and the money they have access to

LSU can throw a ton of money at a coach, there is no question about that. The difference between the two is that when a contract like that goes south LSU would take a little time to recover while A&M would likely just throw more money as someone to try and solve the issue.

This one is nice to see, IMO. No more inconclusive so the call on the field stands BS when it comes to Targeting. They now MUST CONFIRM all elements of targeting are present in order to eject a player and assess the 15 yard penalty.
According to the NCAA release:
“Beginning in the fall in games using video review, instant replay officials will be directed to examine all aspects of the play and confirm the targeting foul when all elements of targeting are present. If any element of targeting cannot be confirmed, the replay official will overturn the targeting foul. There will not be an option for letting the call on the field “stand” during a targeting review — it must either be confirmed or overturned. Games using the halftime video review procedure will continue to use the current process.”
Other notable changes include:
  • Kickoffs – No more two-man wedge formations to be used on kickoffs.
  • Overtime – Teams that go into a fifth overtime will now run alternating two-point plays, as opposed to the previous format where teams would continue drives starting at the opponents 25-yard line. The thought behind this change was to limit the number of plays from scrimmage late in games when players are exhausted in an effort to bring the game to a quicker conclusion. Two-minute rest periods are also being added after the second and fourth overtimes and the rules for the first four stanzas of overtimes are unchanged at this time.
  • Blind-side blocks – Players that deliver a blind-side block by attacking “an opponent with forcible contact” will result in a 15-yard personal foul penalty AND if the block includes elements consistent with targeting, then targeting can be enforced as well.

This one is nice to see, IMO. No more inconclusive so the call on the field stands BS when it comes to Targeting. They now MUST CONFIRM all elements of targeting are present in order to eject a player and assess the 15 yard penalty.

Agree, but I just hope it doesn't take them ****ing 15-20 minutes to do it.

so is that last rule for kickoffs only or all plays? If so I'm reading that as you can't hit someone hard if they are chasing a QB, for example, on a scramble and a receiver comes back to deliver a blow? What are you supposed to do? Let them railroad you since you can't blind side them?

so is that last rule for kickoffs only or all plays? If so I'm reading that as you can't hit someone hard if they are chasing a QB, for example, on a scramble and a receiver comes back to deliver a blow? What are you supposed to do? Let them railroad you since you can't blind side them?
Blind side block was instituted two years ago in high school and now is being adopted by the NCAA. From the 2017 NFHS rule book:
RULE 2, SEC. 3, ART. 10: A blindside block is a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching.
RULE 9, SEC. 4, ART. 3: No player or nonplayer shall: n. Execute a blindside block outside of the free-blocking zone with forceful contact unless initiated with open hands.
In essence if you are not facing your opponent, i.e. approaching from an angle outside your targets vision, you can't deliver any shoulder type block. The block must be initiated with open hands. This eliminates another source of contact that has a high rate of resulting injuries because the target does not see and can not prepare for the hit. Some people will hate it because blind side blocks are usually decleaters and make nice highlight tape. It is a good step for the game.
I don't know exactly how the NCAA will define it though.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a good step too, but I think it transfers the potential for injury to the guy delivering the block instead of receiving it. Definitely less violent of a hit on the blocker but now he's supposed to slow down and stick his hands out to initiate the block when the guy chasing the ballcarrier is certainly running full speed and will try to bull through him? I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it.
You are completely wrong in your thinking. Watch any video of a blind side block and tell me any situation in which the blocker could possibly be in danger. The defender is moving in one direction towards the ball carrier, the blocker is moving towards the defender at an angle, there is no possible way for the blocker to be "bulled" through. The blocker will either deliver a block using open hands to the shoulder or chest area, or miss the block completely.
This video from the Colorado Football Officials Association explains it pretty clearly.

You are completely wrong in your thinking. Watch any video of a blind side block and tell me any situation in which the blocker could possibly be in danger. The defender is moving in one direction towards the ball carrier, the blocker is moving towards the defender at an angle, there is no possible way for the blocker to be "bulled" through. The blocker will either deliver a block using open hands to the shoulder or chest area, or miss the block completely.
This video from the Colorado Football Officials Association explains it pretty clearly.

see where I retracted my post before you responded. But if you played football growing up (which I am assuming you did) the bigger guy can easily bull through the guy coming for the blind side block if he sees it coming. Blind side insinuates you can never see them coming which isn't always the case. I've been bulled over by a bigger linebacker coming back to block him being a receiver without trying to use the hands to block, it can certainly happen.

Back