What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

USC will not stay down forever, but there is plenty of opportunity for other programs to rise up. CU needs to take advantage of the turmoil there.
Agree completely

Need to take advantage of this opportunity (along with UCLA having their issues) to make some real recruiting inroads in the LA area. Part of that though is we need to win some games so we can be taken seriously.

As a VT fan, I appreciate the way Chapel Hill is continuously reminding their football players that they're playing for a "basketball school".

There are several non-basketball teams that sport the Jumpman logo. Michigan and Florida both have it on their football uniforms.

And then there is this:
hwl

There are several non-basketball teams that sport the Jumpman logo. Michigan and Florida both have it on their football uniforms.

And then there is this:
hwl
first, I'm the one with the reputation of having autistic tendencies and missing sarcastic jokes on this forum -- thanks for helping take some heat off me.

second, FL and MI get paid by Nike to put that on the uniforms they are provided. UNCCH decided to purchase that behemoth and hang it in their practice facility, literally, to remind people of their association with a certain basketball player

first, I'm the one with the reputation of having autistic tendencies and missing sarcastic jokes on this forum -- thanks for helping take some heat off me.

second, FL and MI get paid by Nike to put that on the uniforms they are provided. UNCCH decided to purchase that behemoth and hang it in their practice facility, literally, to remind people of their association with a certain basketball player

Hate to break it to you, but young people (still) think the Jumpman logo is cool. It’s irrelevant that Jordan was a basketball player. He’s an American icon.

I get that you were trying to make a joke, but I don't think you realize that VT, and every other college football program, would kill to fly that logo. It is huge for recruiting.

440px-20160829_Michigan_Wolverines_and_Jumpman_logo_at_Nike_Flagship_store_before_opening_weekend.jpg

UTFEZOZQESELJYA.20171110050528.jpg

... young people (still) think the Jumpman logo is cool...He’s an American icon.

you're arguing with yourself -- I never stated or implied anything to the contrary here.

...I don't think you realize that VT, and every other college football program, would kill to fly that logo. It is huge for recruiting.

if that was the case, I'd expect every Nike school, including VT, to display that particular trademarked logo. I think being a Nike school is impactful to recruiting -- I'm not convinced putting that particular logo on Michigan's building does anything for the Blue that the swoosh wouldn't.

Last edited:
you're arguing with yourself -- I never stated or implied anything to the contrary here.

if that was the case, I'd expect every Nike school, including VT, to display that particular trademarked logo. I think being a Nike school is impactful to recruiting -- I'm not convinced putting that particular logo on Michigan's building does anything for the Blue that the swoosh wouldn't.

You’re not this dense. The Jumpman logo has nothing to do with a school being a basketball school. Regardless of sport, recruits idolize Jordan (still). This sub brand of Nike is very appealing to a specific demographic of young people. That’s why some Nike schools specifically want to be Jordan schools.

Oh, really?

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley and North Carolina coach Larry Fedora agree that the reaction of the players on the recruiting trail has been massive. College football players today have lived their entire lives with Jordan Brand as a primary player in the apparel game, and right now, only four college football programs can claim an association with Jumpman.

"Every single player we're recruiting knows about it. They all want to see the different uniforms we're going to wear, the different shoes that we get," Fedora said. "It's something that has become an important part of what we've got to offer at the University of North Carolina."

Bringing on blue-blood programs like Oklahoma and Florida in the last couple months is not only an expansion deeper into college football but part of Jordan's evolution from a basketball-exclusive brand. Jordan is still an extension of Nike, so the apparel giant isn't losing Oklahoma and Florida to a competitor as much as those schools are getting a branding upgrade with the addition of the Jumpman logo and Jordan Brand gear for players and fans.

Link

@manhattanbuf, I'm far denser than you give me credit for, but the part about basketball schools was an attempt at a joke (which clearly bombed -- not my first experience with that).

You and @NWD Buff have made a case that I'm not seeing the picture, so help me out a bit more here. Why do you two think that not every Nike school is displaying that logo? Especially the one's that recruit Carolina would seem to have strong motivation if everything you're saying is correct, but it's not happening.

@manhattanbuf, I'm far denser than you give me credit for, but the part about basketball schools was an attempt at a joke (which clearly bombed -- not my first experience with that).

You and @NWD Buff have made a case that I'm not seeing the picture, so help me out a bit more here. Why do you two think that not every Nike school is displaying that logo? Especially the one's that recruit Carolina would seem to have strong motivation if everything you're saying is correct, but it's not happening.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...u-basketball-jordan-brand-20180415-story.html

Read the link and stop this madness!

Why do you two think that not every Nike school is displaying that logo? .

The answer to your question is: Because they can't. They have to be selected by Nike to use that logo.

It's just like when they come out with a new uniform design element, and they select a small number of schools to have it first. Those schools use it as a recruiting edge, and Nike slowly rolls it out to more and more schools until the next thing comes along. Rinse, repeat.

So I haven't seen it discussed anywhere else and I figured this was a good thread. Initially, hearing about the potential targeting rule changes sounded ludicrous going for a full game suspension on the second targeting penalty of the season. But what the initial reports didn't mention was that they were making it much more clear how to penalize it. The call now has to have ALL aspects of targeting in order to be actually ruled as targeting. So it has to include the intent, the defenseless receiver, AND have the launching. Overall, I think this is a solid step in the right direction. My only question is if they do get two targeting penalties and have to sit out a game, what happens when they return if they were to get another targeting call (I know that's unlikely with the changes but, PAC12 Refs)? Is it an immediate one game suspension or is it like a reset so they won't be suspended until the next one?

With the success of CU's football and basketball programs, I imagine we're next in line for selection!

joking/irony aside......CU was one of the first Nike schools in the mid 90's.....maybe THE first.

i remember a pic in the CO Daily or Camera of the Regents, 11 win season(s) "Mission Possible" head coach Rick Neu (riding Mac's recruits), and maybe Marolt....all wearing Nike polos.....signing the contract up in Estes Park or somewhere....it was cutting edge sponsorship for the time. CU was the national darling....

Last edited:
Just read, UVA football tix start at $129 -- for the season,

and

*insert joke about employability of Wahoo grads*

they offer a 4 installment payment plan.

For a comparison point, CSU season tix start at $250.

Last edited:

and

*insert joke about employability Wahoo grads*

Interesting. I wonder if the new stadium is the big reason here or if UVA is just on the low end for pricing nationally. Scott Stadium does have about 20K more seats but regardless both of these places have far more supply than demand for tickets.

and

*insert joke about employability Wahoo grads*

Yea, but CSU season tickets include priority purchase rights for Lady Gaga when she comes.

Average assistant pay of $740k. Wow. This is what happens when the B1G makes the kind of money it does from its media deals & network. (Also helps to be filling a 100k+ seat stadium.)

Average assistant pay of $740k. Wow. This is what happens when the B1G makes the kind of money it does from its media deals & network. (Also helps to be filling a 100k+ seat stadium.)

The divide between the haves and have nots continues to grow. In 3 years how many assistants in P5 conferences will make more than the average HC in some of the G5 conferences?

Why would some of these guys ever want to leave for a HC job at the FCS level?

There's a new tier emerging. That Gap is about as big as the difference between the average p5 school and g5 school

So this should be fun:

The best part:

The most spicy part of this lawsuit? At one point, it alleges that senior officials in the athletic department had a conversation in which they spoke about needing a way to void the buyout, such as "a dead hooker in [his] closet." Yikes. Texas hired Beaty as a consultant over the winter.
SOURCE: SB Nation
Mar 12, 2019, 5:41 PM

Back