What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

Look, I know I’m engaging in hyperbole, but I’m trying to counteract some of the groupthink that goes on here. It looks like UF, for example, has scheduled more out of area games. Great. I love it when CU plays on the east coast, much easier for me to see them. But I understand why the don’t do it often. In the end, teams and conferences should schedule what works for them, the alumni and fans.
Okay and I am a Florida fan so I was defending them somewhat as well, but how does florida know what works for them, alumni and fans when they don’t do anything different and travel to new destinations? The game in dallas against Michigan was a hit from everything I heard from the people that went. And let’s be honest, bringing in teams from different parts of the country to the swamp in early September is a huge home field advantage due to the heat and humidity, just look at the broncos record down there against the three Florida nfl teams. So yes rational fans are going call them out for that.

Yeah, it’s really only a few SEC teams that are actually consistently good (and yes, those teams are very good), their fans don’t really want to watch ****ty opponents (been discussed), and the conference’s premier coach wants to go to 9 conference games.

So while I thank you for providing the hyperbolic, SEC dick sucking commentary, if all of P5 college football is going to compete for one championship, rules across conferences should be as uniform as possible, and the SEC/ACC are in the minority in almost every issue you are defending.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s really only a few SEC teams that are actually consistently good (and yes, those teams are very good), their fans don’t really want to watch ****ty opponents (been discussed), and the conference’s premier coach wants to go to 9 conference games.

So while I thank you for providing the hyperbolic, SEC dick sucking commentary, if all of P5 college football is going to compete for one championship, rules across conferences should be as uniform as possible, and the SEC/ACC are in the minority in almost every issue you are defending.

I have no connection to the SEC or the Gators. None. I provided a different perspective, which you disagree with. The Florida AD seems to be running fine.

I guess an invite to Casa Bonita is next.

I have no connection to the SEC or the Gators. None. I provided a different perspective, which you disagree with. The Florida AD seems to be running fine.

I guess an invite to Casa Bonita is next.
So you think florida is doing a better job scheduling than Georgia?

So you think florida is doing a better job scheduling than Georgia?

Define better. Is better the most revenue accretive? Is better for the alumni living in the state of Florida? Georgia definitely leaves its comfy southern confines a bit more it seems. I guess Florida will end the controversy by scheduling home and homes with teams like CU.

Personally, I’d rather stay home than spend a single minute in the sweat lodge that is Gainesville in September. I’d have to bring five T shirts just to make it through the game. So, I’d schedule the entire month away. I’m not a stakeholder, though.

Define better. Is better the most revenue accretive? Is better for the alumni living in the state of Florida? Georgia definitely leaves its comfy southern confines a bit more it seems. I guess Florida will end the controversy by scheduling home and homes with teams like CU.

Personally, I’d rather stay home than spend a single minute in the sweat lodge that is Gainesville in September. I’d have to bring five T shirts just to make it through the game. So, I’d schedule the entire month away. I’m not a stakeholder, though.
Georgia schedules more OOC P5 games that are nationally relevant and gets them in the conversation for the playoff. They also don’t run around scared of losing games that might hurt their playoff chances like most sec teams because their division is tough. When the pac 12 South was one of the toughest divisions in college football usc didn’t run and try to cancel OOC games against Texas.

Pac: we play one extra conference game.
Sec: ok
Pac: you should do the same.
Sec: it’s our conference, we are free to do what we want. We like how it is.
Pac: it’s not fair, though
Sec: we think we play tougher conference games, but why don’t you have one less if you’re so concerned?
Pac: cause it costs a bunch to schedule a body bag game out here and the fans don’t show for those games.
Sec: yeah, we don’t have that problem.
Pac: ok, keep your conference schedule, but play out of the region
Sec: why? Our fans like to drive to the games. It’s inexpensive and the tailgating is great.
Pac: F*** your fans, play outside the region
Sec: that doesn’t seem like a good strategy
Pac: you’re wrong, we screw our fans with bad time slots and inadequate tv distribution. Nobody seems to care.
Sec: umm, ok. Seems like a bad business model.
Pac: we signed the most lucrative media contract ever.
Sec: lots of years ago. Aren’t you last in the P5 tv money now?
Pac: temporarily. But Larry Scott is on it and we own our content.
Sec: great, we like our partnership with espn.
Pac: And all espn does is slobber all over you.
Sec: yeah, we like the attention. You could partner with espn too
Pac: screw that.
Sec: ok, we’re fine with that too. It’s your conference.
Pac: lets get back to how you should do things our way.
Sec: huh?
Pac: your scheduling is weak. You’re a fraud.
Sec: how so?
Pac: you mix in a weak opponent late in the year.
Sec: makes sense to heal up, and play our better rivalry games at full strength at the season end.
Pac: we don’t do that.
Sec: nobody is stopping you. It is your conference.
Pac: there isn’t anyone out here really to schedule and the fans aren’t showing up for that.
Sec: yeah, we don’t have that problem
Pac: you’re still a fraud.
Sec: but we keep winning national championships
Pac: with the weak schedule
Sec: it’s not weak, and we play head to head in the playoffs
Pac: that’s not the point
Sec: it isn’t?
Pac: you guys are a bunch of inbred morons who don’t understand a goddamn thing about running a conference
Sec: wow, that escalated quickly
I was going to post something on this same track, but nowhere near as funny.

One line: "Maybe they're on to something?"

Their focus on giving a great fan experience and pumping regional rivalry has worked.

However, I happen to agree with Saban that going to a 9-game conference schedule actually bumps that up and would benefit the SEC. They are also struggling with attendance and disinterested fans leaving early when 2 out of the 6 or 7 home games on the schedule are glorified exhibition games. I also question the scheduling of the big non-conference games as neutral site affairs. For instance, Auburn got itself a nice payday and win playing Washington in Atlanta. But I suspect that the fans would have actually preferred a trip to Seattle with a return home game against an interesting opponent. You don't have to do that every year. However, having a marquee non-conference home game or road game 2/4 years would support the fans and increase the value of season tickets.

In other words, I think they should look to a model like we see with the Longhorns (OU has basically the same thing). They have 5 teams in TX/OK to play every year. OU is a neutral game in Dallas. The other 4 are home/away. Then they have the other 4 conference games, with 2 being at home. That's 4 home games, 2 drivable road games and 1 drivable neutral game. Then they like to do 2 more true home games plus 1 destination road game. Their net is 9 games their fans can get to relatively easily by car and 1 they would have an interest in traveling to see as a special event kind of road game. OU has the same basic setup with a little farther to drive but KU/KSU being added to the drivable radius mix for their fans.

Georgia schedules more OOC P5 games that are nationally relevant and gets them in the conversation for the playoff. They also don’t run around scared of losing games that might hurt their playoff chances like most sec teams because their division is tough. When the pac 12 South was one of the toughest divisions in college football usc didn’t run and try to cancel OOC games against Texas.

Fair enough. Probably beaten this horse to death. I tried to make my points, even if they fall on deaf ears, or people simply think I’m wrong. And, honestly, my opinions really spring from CU comparisons outside of sports that I’ve touched on in other forums here. I like what, say, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama have done over the last 20 years. Colorado has a lot of inherent advantages. We seem to squander them and bitch about other schools.

I was going to post something on this same track, but nowhere near as funny.

One line: "Maybe they're on to something?"

Their focus on giving a great fan experience and pumping regional rivalry has worked.

However, I happen to agree with Saban that going to a 9-game conference schedule actually bumps that up and would benefit the SEC. They are also struggling with attendance and disinterested fans leaving early when 2 out of the 6 or 7 home games on the schedule are glorified exhibition games. I also question the scheduling of the big non-conference games as neutral site affairs. For instance, Auburn got itself a nice payday and win playing Washington in Atlanta. But I suspect that the fans would have actually preferred a trip to Seattle with a return home game against an interesting opponent. You don't have to do that every year. However, having a marquee non-conference home game or road game 2/4 years would support the fans and increase the value of season tickets.

In other words, I think they should look to a model like we see with the Longhorns (OU has basically the same thing). They have 5 teams in TX/OK to play every year. OU is a neutral game in Dallas. The other 4 are home/away. Then they have the other 4 conference games, with 2 being at home. That's 4 home games, 2 drivable road games and 1 drivable neutral game. Then they like to do 2 more true home games plus 1 destination road game. Their net is 9 games their fans can get to relatively easily by car and 1 they would have an interest in traveling to see as a special event kind of road game. OU has the same basic setup with a little farther to drive but KU/KSU being added to the drivable radius mix for their fans.

Exactly. For example, why can’t CU model something after the cocktail party? Hey, Arizona let’s play every year in Vegas from now on. Split the gate. NASCAR thing a few years back was another good idea. Right now the Pac 12 seems boring to me. I hate Utah as a travel partner. They’re not a rival. We need some energy infused in this conference.

Exactly. For example, why can’t CU model something after the cocktail party? Hey, Arizona let’s play every year in Vegas from now on. Split the gate. NASCAR thing a few years back was another good idea. Right now the Pac 12 seems boring to me. I hate Utah as a travel partner. They’re not a rival. We need some energy infused in this conference.
Perhaps I was overly critical of your opinions earlier. Don’t take my opinions as thinking the Pac 12 has done everything right and SEC is wrong. I just want as close to an even playing field across P5 as possible in terms of scheduling. If all the conferences want to go to 8 game conference schedules, fine. I’d prefer 9 and then every program having to schedule two OOC P5 games (one road and one home). The other OOC game can be against whoever and teams/conferences can strategically place them wherever they want on the schedule. If all conferences are competing for the same championship, then I just believe there needs to be more uniform rules across the board.

I think if we go to 14 teams that it could work. 3 home/ 3 away against division. 1 home/1 away against non-division. Then 1 neutral against non-division. That would balance the schedules really well for everyone. Hell, we could add CSU and BYU while playing those 7 neutral games in Vegas to bump up the rivalry inventory while bringing in the Vegas market more completely. Vegas would be great as our "Pac-14 After Dark" site for the Friday or Saturday night game.

Vegas would be great as our "Pac-14 After Dark" site for the Friday or Saturday night game.

Kind of ironic that SEC fans travel so well but the teams won’t travel because they don’t have to. PAC-12 fans don’t travel so giving up a home game every other year would be a revenue and fan disaster.

Kind of ironic that SEC fans travel so well but the teams won’t travel because they don’t have to. PAC-12 fans don’t travel so giving up a home game every other year would be a revenue and fan disaster.
That would be my concern with that. Game attendance would depend a lot on whether the local fans and tourists would embrace the game as an "event". Vegas is pretty damn good at event marketing, so I think there's a chance that it could work to draw 30-40k from that base. If it couldn't, this would not work.

Perhaps I was overly critical of your opinions earlier. Don’t take my opinions as thinking the Pac 12 has done everything right and SEC is wrong. I just want as close to an even playing field across P5 as possible in terms of scheduling. If all the conferences want to go to 8 game conference schedules, fine. I’d prefer 9 and then every program having to schedule two OOC P5 games (one road and one home). The other OOC game can be against whoever and teams/conferences can strategically place them wherever they want on the schedule. If all conferences are competing for the same championship, then I just believe there needs to be more uniform rules across the board.

Most people just call me peckerwood and leave it at that. It’s all good. I moved the goalposts a bit during the discussion.

Pumping regional rivalries is smart as Buffnik said. This fan base gets juiced for Nebraska. Border state, the scourge live among you in Colorado. It’s great. The only other border state is Utah, but across the mountains, the western slope, an alpine desert, until you get there. If Utahans (?) were a paint color, they’d be builder beige. Impossible to hate, but nothing much to get excited about either. If we are to stay in the Pac 12, we need to build a rivalry somehow. As I’ve said elsewhere, the good news is that CU fits in three of five P5 conferences. The bad news is we haven’t exactly fit in any one of them yet.

Georgia / tOSU
LSU / Penn St
Aub / Wiscy
Miami / Neb
So Carolina / Mich St
Florida State / Northwestern
Tenn / Maryland
Kent / Indiana
Vandy / Cincy
No Co / Rutgers
Towson / FAU
Tenn Martin / Miami OH

Which schedule seems harder? Florida or Michigan? I’ve tried to rank 1-12. Sequencing, location and byes matter, I understand.

Georgia / tOSU
LSU / Penn St
Aub / Wiscy
Miami / Neb
So Carolina / Mich St
Florida State / Northwestern
Tenn / Maryland
Kent / Indiana
Vandy / Cincy
No Co / Rutgers
Towson / FAU
Tenn Martin / Miami OH

Which schedule seems harder? Florida or Michigan? I’ve tried to rank 1-12. Sequencing, location and byes matter, I understand.

Michigan

Because Rutgers is a harder game than No Co? The 9 conference game thing is often a fallacy.
Rutgers had one of the longest active bowl streaks in the nation before entering a B1G schedule. They are better than nearly all G5 programs.

Rutgers had one of the longest active bowl streaks in the nation before entering a B1G schedule. They are better than nearly all G5 programs.
Yes, they have a good history and some losses to G5 teams recently, although Eastern Michigan and Buffalo - especially latter - have been pretty good lately. Nevertheless, they have been a weak 9th conference game for many in the B1G, as have OSU (and CU) in the P12.

Clemson just cake walks to the CFP every year for the foreseeable future. Almost no real competition in that league.

Certainly been that way recently. Florida State won’t tolerate losing for long. I think Miami is headed in the right direction after dumping Richt (a coach that clearly had nothing left in the tank). Va Tech, Louisville, and UNC all should be better. Bottom part of the league is rough, though.

I feel like Ga Tech, BC, Wake just don’t care anymore. Duke has a ceiling that it’s already hit.

Certainly been that way recently. Florida State won’t tolerate losing for long. I think Miami is headed in the right direction after dumping Richt (a coach that clearly had nothing left in the tank). Va Tech, Louisville, and UNC all should be better. Bottom part of the league is rough, though.

I feel like Ga Tech, BC, Wake just don’t care anymore. Duke has a ceiling that it’s already hit.
After averaging 10-3 the last several years at Georgia, Richt went 9-4, 10-3, and 7-6 at Miami. So yeah, washed up.

Back