What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Men's basketball general off-seasons news thread

I think a good decision for Tyler as well.

He has NBA talent but I don't think he has shown enough on the floor to put himself high enough in the draft to be a roster priority. Probably a low second round choice or even potential to fall out of the draft.

Come back for a year, keep rebounding and showing spectacular ability at the rim offensively but also show some more offensive skills away from the rim. Hit some jumpers, work a little more outside the paint, and he could move up quite a bit. Also while he is at it adding 10lbs to his frame would help a lot as well.

For selfish reasons I think he is going to do some really special stuff for us next year.

This was never really in doubt. With Bey’s body type, he absolutely has to demonstrate some ability to shoot 3’s before going to the NBA. He only has 5 made 3’s so far. Everyone will comp him to Dre who had 50 made 3’s at 35% after 3 seasons.

What’s encouraging is that Bey’s free throw shooting improved dramatically. Free throw shooting has been shown to be more predictive of future shooting success than 3p%. Bey went 78% on about 150 free throws last year so I hope he feels more confident in his shot. Theoretically, he should be a better shooter than Dre but he hasn’t been confident enough to keep chucking. 3 point shooting is the missing link for Bey and this whole team. When you have a drive-n-kick PG like Kin there’s really no excuses.

This was never really in doubt. With Bey’s body type, he absolutely has to demonstrate some ability to shoot 3’s before going to the NBA. He only has 5 made 3’s so far. Everyone will comp him to Dre who had 50 made 3’s at 35% after 3 seasons.

What’s encouraging is that Bey’s free throw shooting improved dramatically. Free throw shooting has been shown to be more predictive of future shooting success than 3p%. Bey went 78% on about 150 free throws last year so I hope he feels more confident in his shot. Theoretically, he should be a better shooter than Dre but he hasn’t been confident enough to keep chucking. 3 point shooting is the missing link for Bey and this whole team. When you have a drive-n-kick PG like Kin there’s really no excuses.
I don't think we want Bey shooting 3's. He's better off hitting the 12-15 footers and hitting the boards for the rebounds from our outside shooters.
Boyle knows that as well which is why Bey didn't take any 3 point shots after the Oregon State loss.

I don't think we want Bey shooting 3's. He's better off hitting the 12-15 footers and hitting the boards for the rebounds from our outside shooters.
Boyle knows that as well which is why Bey didn't take any 3 point shots after the Oregon State loss.
This. Bey won't be coached to shoot 3's next year. Nor would it benefit his draft stock. He just needs to add 10lbs of muscle, keep showing the explosiveness he has shown, continue taking it to the rack, and fine tune his 12-15ft jumper. He'll also get a 3-4 spot bump up simply based on the exposure White and Dinwiddie have gotten this post season. Buffs helping Buffs get that bag...

OK, I don't mean to be an asshole but after the Roberson draft scenario why are there people who are doubting that Bey could have gone in the first round? Dudes who can defend 2-5 in the NBA (and yeah, I think he can... not at Dre's level but still solidly) are gold. If they produce any offense, bonus. As @BuffG pointed out above, free throw shooting has been shown to be more predictive for future success than 3's (although averaging the two is an even better predictor). Is Bey a lottery pick? Hell no. But dude would probably sneak into the first round. And like @Da Lama points out - Tad's track record of guards into the NBA isn't going to hurt him at all.

OK, I don't mean to be an asshole but after the Roberson draft scenario why are there people who are doubting that Bey could have gone in the first round? Dudes who can defend 2-5 in the NBA (and yeah, I think he can... not at Dre's level but still solidly) are gold. If they produce any offense, bonus. As @BuffG pointed out above, free throw shooting has been shown to be more predictive for future success than 3's (although averaging the two is an even better predictor). Is Bey a lottery pick? Hell no. But dude would probably sneak into the first round. And like @Da Lama points out - Tad's track record of guards into the NBA isn't going to hurt him at all.
I think your right, I'm just glad he's coming back. Da Lama nailed it though add muscle and become a solid 12-15' shooter. Then no one is going to expect anything other than Bey going pro. Dang I'm excited for this team next year!

Youth and potential are coveted in the draft and Bey certainly has that. I'll be happy for him when he gets drafted, but the selfish hopeless homer in me is happy we get to see him play in a Buff jersey for one more year.

Good start to the non-conf schedule.

I would prefer the dynamics of college hoops change such that schools were motivated to have these games on campus, though.

true....but on Dec 21 a lot of campuses are at best either in finals or already on December break. also, exposure in Chicago proper is good for recruiting. playing on an NBA floor.....a thrill for players, good for recruiting again....and Chicagoland is not number 1 like Cali or NY/New England in out-of-state alums but "up there".

Last edited:
This. Bey won't be coached to shoot 3's next year. Nor would it benefit his draft stock. He just needs to add 10lbs of muscle, keep showing the explosiveness he has shown, continue taking it to the rack, and fine tune his 12-15ft jumper. He'll also get a 3-4 spot bump up simply based on the exposure White and Dinwiddie have gotten this post season. Buffs helping Buffs get that bag...

- If you think avoiding 3’s helps the draft stock of a 6’7 wing who goes 78% from the stripe then you’re not demonstrating knowledge of the draft process.
- Battey attempted 3 times as many 3’s in his first season than Bey has in 2 seasons and he was almost exclusively a post player. Wesley Gordon attempted 40 3’s in his first 3 seasons despite being a post player. I’ve already stated Dre’s 3p stats. Your characterization of Tad’s coaching doesn’t match up with the stats. If you think Tad wouldn’t like to see Bey expand his game and be more willing to spread the floor then I can’t help you.
- White and Dinwiddie are PG’s who shot the ball extremely well at the college level. Their profiles are entirely irrelevant to scouting Bey and a "3-4 spot" bump is just complete hearsay.
- The only Buff that Bey will be compared to is Dre— who was a better defender and a willing 3p shooter which is absolutely necessary if a 6’7 wing wants to be a 1st rd pick.
- With Dallas Walton coming back, there will be a greater emphasis on others to space the floor. It simply makes no sense to have a PG like Kin who likes to penetrate and find shooters and then also have 2 guys clogging the post. That leaves only 2 available shooters on the perimeter for Kin. That’s not how basketball is played in 2019.

Last edited:
Bey will be scouted as a “3 & D” wing. His post & mid-range game give him upside beyond that as a complete player, especially with his athleticism. But he’s got to show the “3” part of the equation or he’s going to get labeled as a project.

- If you think avoiding 3’s helps the draft stock of a 6’7 wing who goes 78% from the stripe then you’re not demonstrating knowledge of the draft process.
- Battey attempted 3 times as many 3’s in his first season than Bey has in 2 seasons and he was almost exclusively a post player. Wesley Gordon attempted 40 3’s in his first 3 seasons despite being a post player. I’ve already stated Dre’s 3p stats. Your characterization of Tad’s coaching doesn’t match up with the stats. If you think Tad wouldn’t like to see Bey expand his game and be more willing to spread the floor then I can’t help you.
- White and Dinwiddie are PG’s who shot the ball extremely well at the college level. Their profiles are entirely irrelevant to scouting Bey and a "3-4 spot" bump is just complete hearsay.
- The only Buff that Bey will be compared to is Dre— who was a better defender and a willing 3p shooter which is absolutely necessary if a 6’7 wing wants to be a 1st rd pick.
- With Dallas Walton coming back, there will be a greater emphasis on others to space the floor. It simply makes no sense to have a PG like Kin who likes to penetrate and find shooters and then also have 2 guys clogging the post. That leaves only 2 available shooters on the perimeter for Kin. That’s not how basketball is played in 2019.
who-da-fook-are-you.jpg

Walton will be more of a three point threat than Bey. Bey needs to become reliable from 12-15' out, get much stronger, and become a stopper on defense. He can work on being a spot up 3 point shooter where ever he shows up next. If you are a GM your telling me you would take Bey in this years draft, let alone 1st round. No fricking way, and I love Bey. He's no where close to Andre's level yet, I think he can get there though!

Walton will be more of a three point threat than Bey. Bey needs to become reliable from 12-15' out, get much stronger, and become a stopper on defense. He can work on being a spot up 3 point shooter where ever he shows up next. If you are a GM your telling me you would take Bey in this years draft, let alone 1st round. No fricking way, and I love Bey. He's no where close to Andre's level yet, I think he can get there though!
He's a better offensive player than Roberson ever was despite the lack of 3 point range.

He's a better offensive player than Roberson ever was despite the lack of 3 point range.
If you think his offense is what will take him to the league I guess good for you. His defense is what I see as his ticket to the NBA and he's not close to where Andre was while he played here. He needs to get stronger and become a reliable scorer from 12-15' out, and continue to improve his defense.
I think Bey can get to the level on defense Andre was for us, and if he does he should get an excellent grade for next years draft.

Nice update in Buffzone.com on Jakub Dombek and his hurdles during his redshirt year. I see guarded optimism. Provided Dallas stays healthy I don't expect to see Jakub get extended PT but given how slim our big man rotation was last year I like the fact he may be able to provide insurance at least. Walton, Battey, Bey, Ryder, Siewert and and even Strating gives us a lot of possibilities and depth!

Yeah, there’s no where that I said that Bey was already a 1st rd pick. That’s actually the opposite of my point. There’s also no where that I said that Bey needs to shoot 100 3’s next year. He’s currently 5-28 for his career. Again, he’s a good FT shooter so he’s capable with more work. Dre had around 50-60 3 pt attempts per year. It’s a pretty obvious precedent from a Tad Boyle coaching standpoint and for what Bey needs to do to become a 1st rd pick.

But yes, Walton is the better 3 point threat right now. That doesn’t mean that you park your only 7 footer on the perimeter every possession. There has to be variety and unpredictability in a good offense. Different players get hot from deep game-to-game. With a drive-n-kick PG, it’s absolutely more effective to have 4 other guys who are capable and willing to stretch the floor.

I agree he's a better offensive player than AR, I said he need to become reliable from 12-15'. That means night in night out, he's not there yet. I take it you think he is, I happen to feel he can elevate his overall game higher and be that player. Defensive ability to play 2-5 is going to be how Bey gets to the league and I think he's going to make it.

Yeah, there’s no where that I said that Bey was already a 1st rd pick. That’s actually the opposite of my point. There’s also no where that I said that Bey needs to shoot 100 3’s next year. He’s currently 5-28 for his career. Again, he’s a good FT shooter so he’s capable with more work. Dre had around 50-60 3 pt attempts per year. It’s a pretty obvious precedent from a Tad Boyle coaching standpoint and for what Bey needs to do to become a 1st rd pick.

But yes, Walton is the better 3 point threat right now. That doesn’t mean that you park your only 7 footer on the perimeter every possession. There has to be variety and unpredictability in a good offense. Different players get hot from deep game-to-game. With a drive-n-kick PG, it’s absolutely more effective to have 4 other guys who are capable and willing to stretch the floor.
Yes I would really be suprised to see tad keep our 7' outside all game. That 5-28 stat you give is why at this point in his development he needs to become reliable from 12-15 feet. He has shown that ability, a lot of good players making money in the league who are reliable from that range. The importance of floor spacing isn't just for the three point line, which I understand you get. I guess it makes more sense to me that he continues to work on improving his strengths.

I agree he's a better offensive player than AR, I said he need to become reliable from 12-15'. That means night in night out, he's not there yet. I take it you think he is, I happen to feel he can elevate his overall game higher and be that player. Defensive ability to play 2-5 is going to be how Bey gets to the league and I think he's going to make it.
The best players in the world aren’t consistent night in night out. They all have days where they shoot 20-30% from the field. It’s about having enough hot days to show you can hit all those shot and counteract off nights for a good avg FG%. He’s had plenty of those.

The best players in the world aren’t consistent night in night out. They all have days where they shoot 20-30% from the field. It’s about having enough hot days to show you can hit all those shot and counteract off nights for a good avg FG%. He’s had plenty of those.

Lord, don't I know this. I watched that Nuggets game last night.

I'm glad you think he's ready for the NBA, I don't and it seems the NBA and Bey think he's not.

Wonder if they move Duke down a bit? Boogie Ellis asked for his release for whatever reason. I didn't expect CU to be ranked to start, but I'm not complaining. Very cool to see, top 20, too.

Sure. If it makes you feel better to point out - again - that my comparison is inaccurate - have at it.

It was an attempt to say how good Battey is, and somehow became a “you don’t know anything about basketball” thing.

Never change, allbuffs.

Only a weak person attacks others. You are the Master of your story, never worry about what another person does in their own post. This is all just a dream. Know where you line up. Keep sharing... Do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Back