What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Preseason Discussion Thread

Noticed in the strength and conditioning article today Legend Brumbaugh has transferred from Maryland, mentioned as a TE here, was a walk on QB at Maryland. Position switch and transfer it seems. Hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere so sorry if I missed it.

Noticed in the strength and conditioning article today Legend Brumbaugh has transferred from Maryland, mentioned as a TE here, was a walk on QB at Maryland. Position switch and transfer it seems. Hadn’t seen this mentioned anywhere so sorry if I missed it.
Coaches kid, but he did camp at CU at least coming out of HS as a QB

I really hope this is a sign that the TE will be a significant part of the offense. Maybe not significant, but at least exists!

In Woelks article did it say that the new DL from auburn is supposed to be here for the spring semester?

Not sure where else to put this. But heard from a current player when asked about Tuck. "He's gonna be good for us but this change is a lot." Then along the lines of "he's way more strict on academics. With FHCMM, kids could be late to class but if they are late with Tucker's staff that's counted as a 'miss' and they get in trouble for that." Also has the team doing 2 full workouts before 10 A.M. for Spring Strength & Conditioning.

Overall sounds like Tucker was being candid when he said they are going to work harder than anyone else and be the most conditioned team. Love to hear that.

We have a ton of tweeners on D that HCMT will have to sort out and find spots for next season (or move along). We need a handful of guys to make a physical leap this offseason.

Not sure where else to put this. But heard from a current player when asked about Tuck. "He's gonna be good for us but this change is a lot." Then along the lines of "he's way more strict on academics. With FHCMM, kids could be late to class but if they are late with Tucker's staff that's counted as a 'miss' and they get in trouble for that." Also has the team doing 2 full workouts before 10 A.M. for Spring Strength & Conditioning.

Overall sounds like Tucker was being candid when he said they are going to work harder than anyone else and be the most conditioned team. Love to hear that.
That discipline will show up down the line. That is, for those willing to buy into it.

He's top 3 in the conference almost guaranteed, at least to start the year. Just listing the QB's that either started last year or are projected to start puts him in the top 3 pretty much by default.
Stanford: KJ Costello - Imo 2nd best QB in the conference
Oregon: Justin Herbert - Obvious top QB in the conference
Oregon State: Conor Blount (most likely) - not even remotely close to a top 3 QB
Washington: Jacob Eason - did ok his Frosh year at Georgia but nothing that to me says top 3 quarterback. I'd maybe project him at 4 or 5
Wazzu: Anthony Gordon (no idea, just based on this years depth chart) - Unproven/unknown, statistically will probably be top 3 due to Leach offense, doubt he's true top 3
Cal: Chase Garbers - We all saw that offense, not a top 3 QB.

Colorado: Montez - my pick for 3rd QB in league
Utah: Huntley - dual threat guy, can throw but nothing stand out about him as a passer. #4 or 5 to me, interchangeable with Eason at this point.
UCLA: Thompson-Robinson - Athlete playing QB, not a 2017 Khalil Tate type player either, solid but not top 3.
USC: JT Daniels - the king of playing real life 500 with his receivers in games is not a top 3 QB by any means
Arizona: Khalil Tate - when he's not playing the Buffs, he's nothing special and he's probably going to be gone by next year any way.
Arizona State: Jayden Daniels or Joey Yellen - neither one is Trevor Lawrence special, not top 3.

If anything I'd move him to 4th but that's as low as he goes. PAC12 not a strong QB league next year.
JT Daniels was supposed to be a high school senior last year. I think Daniels and Eason are going to be much better than you think.

It's the "death by inches" mentality that Vic Fangio has been preaching. Glad to hear it's a bit of a shock to their systems.

JT Daniels was supposed to be a high school senior last year. I think Daniels and Eason are going to be much better than you think.
Fair opinion. Although I hate the JT Daniels argument that he was supposed to be a senior. In most cases he is only 3-5 months younger than other freshman last year. But I don’t think a Clay Helton coached staff is going to improve him so much that he’s a top 3 conference QB. He still doesn’t have the arm strength that most top QB’s have so we will have to see. As for Eason, we saw him play one season and he was alright. Another wait and see for me as well.

That discipline will show up down the line. That is, for those willing to buy into it.

Those who buy in will be better for it, those who don't will make space for new guys willing to buy in.

This is one of the ways to create the healthy attrition that @Duff Man has talked about.

Crazy though to consider that the players talked about how much tighter MM was than Hawkins (the JE era was such a cluster that I'll skip it.) If MT is enough tougher than MM that guys note it some will struggle and MM was that much more detail oriented and strict than Hawkins no wonder in that era we could barely get a play off without a delay penalty.

...Also has the team doing 2 full workouts before 10 A.M. for Spring Strength & Conditioning.

what makes it "two full workouts" versus "one long workout with a break"? not being snarky, but most workout routines of any length have rest time built in. Do the players take a shower and leave the gym between these making it two separate workouts? is there a definition of "workout" that limits it somehow such that anyone using that definition would unambiguously identify the Buffs conditioning as "two full workouts"?

I guess I've always had the same question around the "two-a-days" we hear about during camps.

what makes it "two full workouts" versus "one long workout with a break"? not being snarky, but most workout routines of any length have rest time built in. Do the players take a shower and leave the gym between these making it two separate workouts? is there a definition of "workout" that limits it somehow such that anyone using that definition would unambiguously identify the Buffs conditioning as "two full workouts"?

I guess I've always had the same question around the "two-a-days" we hear about during camps.
I couldn't really tell you the answer to either question unfortunately, I don't speak with this player typically, just happened to bump into him. As for the Two-a-days, at least from my high school experience (I know, it's not the same) we would have practice at 7:00 A.M. before classes, then go to school all day and have another at 4:00. Assuming that it's similar with the college guys going to one before classes then a second after classes.

Glad to hear that HCMT's is creating a demanding environment. I am a big believer in this atmosphere when it comes to sports.
It ain't called "Show Friends" it's called "Show Business"

Glad to hear that HCMT's is creating a demanding environment. I am a big believer in this atmosphere when it comes to sports.
It ain't called "Show Friends" it's called "Show Business"
200.gif

Maybe weight workout and cardio/agility/speed/etc as a second workout (or flip them). That was the way it sounded to me anyway. Two distinct routines, maybe?

Can't comment on the two full workouts.

I can tell you from my experience that "two-a-days" meant that we had two full practices with a complete cool down. We changed out of our practice gear, usually had something to eat, sometimes we also had a meeting.

Back