What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Rocky Mountain Showdown (CANCELED) at Canvas Stadium

I’d imagine CU’s faculty would vote similarly. I have no clue how much the our University subsidizes or how much student fees do. Yet another reason to be pissed at the Pac 12 media deal.
Their student fees and university funds basically keep the AD afloat

Reactions: DBT
I’d imagine CU’s faculty would vote similarly. I have no clue how much the our University subsidizes or how much student fees do. Yet another reason to be pissed at the Pac 12 media deal.
CU doesn’t subsidize the athletic department outside of an athletics fee every student pays.

Reactions: DBT

Playing Clemson was clearly the problem.
giphy.gif

So, real discussion is starting between ADs, TV networks, university presidents about the viability of the fall football season. Some ideas are no OOC games for a shorter year, spring football, games played in an empty stadium, etc. Seems rather early to have any idea what will happen with spread in the next weeks/months.

But since @CSU is the first game of the season, I have a question - if the season is cancelled or shortened, is CU obligated to still play the return game @CSU? OOC schedule is booked solid til 2028. There's also the issue of @TAMU, but that seems like a series both sides would try to make happen if this season goes poof.

So, real discussion is starting between ADs, TV networks, university presidents about the viability of the fall football season. Some ideas are no OOC games for a shorter year, spring football, games played in an empty stadium, etc. Seems rather early to have any idea what will happen with spread in the next weeks/months.

But since @CSU is the first game of the season, I have a question - if the season is cancelled or shortened, is CU obligated to still play the return game @CSU? OOC schedule is booked solid til 2028. There's also the issue of @TAMU, but that seems like a series both sides would try to make happen if this season goes poof.
seems like a force majeure situation to me -- I believe if challenged the contract would be ruled null and void

seems like a force majeure situation to me -- I believe if challenged the contract would be ruled null and void

We'd have to see the contract. There could well be a clause that says "if isn't playable for any of x, y, z reasons, then fill-in-the-blank happens". It could be "if a force majeure, then its void", it could be "if a force majeure, we reschedule at the earliest convenience" , or any number of things.

Without seeing it, it would be hard to know.

College Football certainly has an interesting situation with OOC contracts in that there are limited slots, and those few slots are frequently booked close to a decade out. We would certainly see all manner of results if the season doesn't get played.

"force majeure" will be what the cools kids are saying long after "flatten the curve" and "quid pro quo" went stale, man...
That's me -- typically ahead of the curve on what the cool kids are doing.

Looks like you've picked up on my tip. I'm going to flip over my new Shakur cassette and get back to Mortal Kombat now.

If the season isn't played, and my guess it won't be, there are going to be some serious financial ramifications.

Very few university athletic departments are in position to absorb the loss of a years revenue but for G5 schools like CSU which already has half it's football budget subsidized by the school and which relies very heavily on game revenues this will be huge.

I also wonder where losing a season of revenue puts them in terms of paying for the stadium debt.

If the season isn't played, and my guess it won't be, there are going to be some serious financial ramifications.

Very few university athletic departments are in position to absorb the loss of a years revenue but for G5 schools like CSU which already has half it's football budget subsidized by the school and which relies very heavily on game revenues this will be huge.

I also wonder where losing a season of revenue puts them in terms of paying for the stadium debt.

From what I understand, CSU hasn't had to dip into the $50 million they have collected to pay the stadium bond every year. Their revenues from football has been enough to cover those bond payments. They should be able to cover the bond payments on that stadium with that money and I don't know if the collected money has grown over time. Pat Styrker could always step in if necessary. She's the one who allegedly paid to get Sonny Lubick's name on the football field after all.

Not worriesome for CSU fans from what I know.

New Mexico and San Jose State would be the biggest concerns out of the MWC. UNM just cut some sports and SJSU demolished half of their football stadium last season. The FCS & D2 schools might have to be a bigger worry at this point.

Also, if Chinese & other international students are not able to come to US colleges next fall, that could be a big problem with the bottom line of schools overall regardless of size.

CSU landed a DL transfer from Miami. His brother played for Addazio. He was granted a medical redshirt so he’s a 6th year senior and it sounds like Miami recruited over him. Looking at their depth chart, I’d imagine he starts day 1.

Just like most new coaches, Addazio has holes to plug and is bringing in some transfers, which is similar to what Mel Tucker did last year bringing a LT and a TE.

DL Scott Patchan looks like a solid grad transfer pick up, and should start at one end position. He was recruited over at Miami, but isn’t a scrub either. He’ll contribute on a decent defensive line group.

To recap, the Rams offensive line was hurt badly by two transfers, their left tackle and left guard. Both played well last year. The new transfers on the offensive line are less impressive than Patchan on the defensive line imo. Cam Reddy was a walk on at BC and will be eligible immediately. Meh. Korutz is a converted DT to OG, who played in 9 games for BC. Also eligible immediately as a grad transfer. The line still has major issues in my opinion. O’Brien is not a mobile QB. This is clearly a match up (CU DL vs CSU OL) that the Buffs need to exploit.

Having a 25%-50% crowd would help us quite a bit
I was about to point out the fact that every crowd at CSU is a 25%-50% crowd, but then realized that for a CU game, that wouldn’t be the case.

what a gut punch for CSU athletics. The one chance they probably will ever have to sell out that brand new stadium of theirs and Covid-19 comes along and messes it up.

Back