What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Rocky Mountain Showdown (CANCELED) at Canvas Stadium

1st Bank Center isn't any different than any other similar venue. It's a multi-purpose venue that serves the purpose to host an array of events. If you want a perfect setting for a concert, then go to a concert only venue.

Well yes, obviously. The original comment was that I don’t think Broomfield event center is great for live music, merely adequate.

Of course an open air amphitheater is going to be a better musical venue. The rest you are comparing a multipurpose medium sized facility to venues that were designed specifically as theaters.

Even in an amphitheater a 6,000 seat venue isn't going to have the intimacy of a 1,000-3,000 seat venue. Red Rocks is internationally famous because it is a larger facility with amazing acoustics and the feel of a much smaller venue, not something that has been duplicated easily in other places.

Also as to building more outdoor venues it's not something likely to happen. They require significant space close to population centers and transportation, that real estate is too expensive to make them profitable. Bigger issue is that an outdoor concert venue is going to face an uphill battle with local residents who don't want the noise and traffic in their neighborhoods

Fiddler's is located in the middle of an office park and was built starting in 1988 before the current real estate boom. I doubt it would get built today.
Sounds like you are not a fan of Chuck Morris. He redid the Fillmore (1999), Fiddlers (2014), 1st bank center (2010), and the mission (2018). Guy knows how to make a venue sound really good.

Sounds like you are not a fan of Chuck Morris. He redid the Fillmore (1999), Fiddlers (2014), 1st bank center (2010), and the mission (2018). Guy knows how to make a venue sound really good.
No, your comment should probably be directed at @Buffalumni who was commenting how he didn't like 1st Bank Center.

My point was that no matter how good a job they do a smaller facility that is designed specifically as a theater is normally going to be a more intimate setting with likely better accoustics than a larger facility will be, especially if that larger facility is designed for multiple purposes. Red Rocks is an (the) exception to the larger rule but if someone is buying tickets to a larger facility they should understand that it isn't the same as a small one.

This is a similar situation to sports stadiums and arenas for games. I remember when most major cities were building multi-purpose stadiums for football and baseball. Now with the Raiders leaving Oakland I don't think we have any left that will be home to both MLB and the NFL (correct me if I am wrong somebody.)

Generally these facilities were a compromise. A lot of the lower seats had bad sightlines for football because they were too far from the field and at bad angles, to hold football crowds they would be too large for baseball and swallow up the crowd feeling sterile and dead.

I have not been to any of those facilities since Morris redid them but I have not question that he made them better. With the right design and equipment most venues can be improved. Point is though that you need to recognize what a venue is and that compromises are made in them,

Hmm? I actually forgot about the Mission but I mentioned the Fillmore in my other post and I don’t have an issue with Fiddlers sound or outdoor feel. I think it’s run down, over crowded and a nightmare to attend a concert there. The concerts are always fun but bathroom lines, food and beverage lines, lines to get a car in and out and a line to get in the venue, it’s just a bit unorganized.

You’re crazy. I think it’s trash lol but I also think Fiddlers Green is trash too. Broomfield events center is very nice inside but I don’t think the arena is setup well for concerts, it’s like being in a high school gym. I’d much prefer Red Rocks (who wouldn’t?) or one of the smaller venues like the Ogden, Summit, Fillmore, Gothic or Paramount. I love Fiddlers setup outdoors but it’s just a **** hole and it’s a nightmare to get in and out of.

I wish Colorado would build more open air amphitheater’s.
I'm with you on Fiddlers Green being trash.

I also think the metro area is over-saturated with music venues, including outdoor amphitheatres. I can't find data, but I'd bet RR sold out <75% of their shows last two years (wouldn't surprise me if it's <50%).

We definitely have more than enough theater style venues.

The original comment was that it was a good music venue and one of the best in Colorado, which I disagree with. Hence why I compared it to music venues, that’s what I thought the point was.

If the argument is changed to, “well it’s one of the best when it’s compared to multi-use venues” then sure, you can have that argument. As I said, it’s not awful and it’s a very nice arena. I just don’t love the feel of it and didn’t think it sounded great when I went. Not a terrible experience by any means, just not one I’m rushing to recreate.

I'm with you on Fiddlers Green being trash.

I also think the metro area is over-saturated with music venues, including outdoor amphitheatres. I can't find data, but I'd bet RR sold out <75% of their shows last two years (wouldn't surprise me if it's <50%).

We definitely have more than enough theater style venues.

Are there tons of outdoor amphitheater’s for big concerts? All I can think of is fiddlers and red rocks, I guess mike high counts but that’s multi use.

I’d love to see a competitor to Fiddlers somewhere closer to the mountains.

Are there tons of outdoor amphitheater’s for big concerts? All I can think of is fiddlers and red rocks, I guess mike high counts but that’s multi use.

Dillon amphitheater?

Saw Hornsby there last year -- free show, gorgeous view of the reservoir

I'm sure a lot of people who don't like the drive down to the SE side of town would agree with you but as I mentioned I don't think it's going to happen.

Between Red Rocks and Fiddler's the majority of the touring acts that can justify a venue of that size are served.

Where are they going to find the real estate that provides access at a low enough cost to justify building a venue, especially real estate that doesn't have neighbors close by who will work to block it?

I'm sure a lot of people who don't like the drive down to the SE side of town would agree with you but as I mentioned I don't think it's going to happen.

Between Red Rocks and Fiddler's the majority of the touring acts that can justify a venue of that size are served.

Where are they going to find the real estate that provides access at a low enough cost to justify building a venue, especially real estate that doesn't have neighbors close by who will work to block it?

Sadly I can’t disagree! Also yes the drive is horrible and it’s always during rush hour for a 7PM show lol.

Light rail is only convenient for everyone south of Denver unfortunately. Everyone else had to pay the taxes and got screwed.
Light rail to Fiddler's from downtown would be faster and easier than driving. Now that there are connecting lines to much of the rest of the city it would be my choice in most cases.

If you are coming from Boulder/Longmont then I'd take the Flyer to Union Station and rail from there.

We have gone over this before in multiple threads.

The taxpayers got screwed because Caldera and his supporters with the asphalt paving industry and auto dealers association used every legal tactic they could to delay the building of the system. These delays resulted in huge increases in cost and delays in construction.

Light rail to Fiddler's from downtown would be faster and easier than driving. Now that there are connecting lines to much of the rest of the city it would be my choice in most cases.

If you are coming from Boulder/Longmont then I'd take the Flyer to Union Station and rail from there.

We have gone over this before in multiple threads.

The taxpayers got screwed because Caldera and his supporters with the asphalt paving industry and auto dealers association used every legal tactic they could to delay the building of the system. These delays resulted in huge increases in cost and delays in construction.

I actually wasn’t aware of any of that to be honest, I just knew it ended up being longer and more expensive of a project. I’ve taken the light rail from Arvada which was nice and I’ve taken it from Federal. I’m by Flatirons and the flyer is handy but catching multiple rides kind of sucks. It’s just unfortunate it isn’t easier to ride it for northern people.

I actually wasn’t aware of any of that to be honest, I just knew it ended up being longer and more expensive of a project. I’ve taken the light rail from Arvada which was nice and I’ve taken it from Federal. I’m by Flatirons and the flyer is handy but catching multiple rides kind of sucks. It’s just unfortunate it isn’t easier to ride it for northern people.
Boulder should have been a priority for a rail connection. US 36 is one of the highest volume roadways in the extended metro area and even if widening it were an option it would be very expensive and not help a great deal,

The plan was to purchase the right of way for the existing rail line that runs from Denver through Westminster and Broomfield and along the edge of Louisville to Boulder then turns toward Longmont. At the time the initial plan was approved the railroad wanted to sell it looking to get a low volume line out of their inventory. As things dragged on due to the legal delays and Denver started to heat up the railroad decided that they could stick it to RTD based on rapidly growing real estate cost and the need for the right of way. They started to run a lot more trains over it so they could bump the value way up in the event of an eminent domain filing.

Interestingly some of this added traffic come from the rail line that eventually became the right of way for the new N line (Thornton, Northglenn, eventually to SH7 and Colorado Blvd.) which the railroad did sell to RTD.

Because of real estate cost I don't know if Boulder ever will get direct rail service to Denver.

One possibility for the future could be if they bring back the idea of moving all the through train traffic and truck traffic east of the front range. This idea was killed a few years ago but the railroads would love to see it come back. They may be willing to trade that Boulder route for getting their new corridor out east of the front range.

I have a feeling this is going to be the ugliest game of football played this decade. No fans, low talent with CSU, new coaches, new QB for CU

Trey might want to start with beating CU before he moves on to destroying CU. He committed to the Rams in October 2017- at that point it had been more than 3 years since CSU beat CU. Both years Trey has been there CSU hasn’t even been within 3 scores of CU.

there are 5th year seniors on the CSU team that haven’t seen CSU beat CU since they committed.

tenor.gif

If CU beats CSU by a few scores again this year, there's no point in scheduling them going forward.

Back