What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 NCAA Tourney 1st round game thread- #5 seed Men's bball scheduled to face #12 seed Georgetown (Sat., 3/20, 10:15 AM MT, CBS)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buff men (22-8, 14-6) are scheduled to open up NCAA March Madness play against the Georgetown Hoyas (13-12, 7-9) this Saturday morning at 10:15 AM MT (or 12:15 PM afternoon Indiana/ eastern time), with the game being played in Hinkle Fieldhouse on Butler U.'s campus in Indianapolis.

Note- pasting what I also quoted below, sounds like those able and interested who have been season ticket holders and/ or donors MIGHT be able to attend this in person.?. -
"TICKETS NOTE: Season ticket holders and select donors are able to log into their ticket account to request NCAA tournament tickets. Simply login to your account, select "My Account" and "Renewals and Applications.""

Per CBS's webpage that lists information for all the "First four" and 1st round and games (see link below), the game is on CBS, with Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas and AJ Ross scheduled to be the announcers (play by play, color and sideline).

Go Buffs!!!

cubuffs.com release after the Buff's were selected yesterday - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/14/...no-5-seed-face-georgetown-in-ncaa-opener.aspx

"
Update: The NCAA announced the Colorado vs Georgetown game will be the first game on Saturday at 10:15 a.m. on CBS and the game will be played at Hinkle Fieldhouse on the campus of Butler University.

BOULDER — Tad Boyle's Colorado Buffaloes were named a No. 5 seed Sunday in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championships and will play No. 12 seed Georgetown in an East Region first-round game Saturday, March 20, at 10:15 a.m. (MT) at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

The game will be the first-ever meeting between the Buffs and Hoyas and will be televised on CBS. The winner will face either No. 4 Florida State or No. 13 UNC-Greensboro on Monday, March 22, in the second round.

The tournament tips off Thursday with the First Four, and all rounds will be played in the greater Indianapolis metropolitan area. All games will be broadcast on either CBS, TNT, TBS or TruTV, as well as the Colorado Basketball Network.

"We're excited to be part of the tournament," said Boyle, whose team flew from Las Vegas to Indianapolis on Sunday evening. "These guys have worked extremely hard all season long to put themselves in this position to have this opportunity."

Colorado's seed is its highest since the NCAA began seeding the entire field in 1979. The Buffaloes' previous best was a No. 8 seed, achieved in their last two appearances (2014 and '16).

The 22-8 Buffs, who finished third in the Pac-12 regular season with a 14-6 conference mark, are coming off a 70-68 loss to Oregon State in Saturday's Pac-12 tournament championship game. Colorado won six of its last seven and nine of 12 overall and Colorado's 22 wins are tied for the fifth best in program history. Boyle-coached teams now own six of the top seven win totals in program history.

Georgetown (13-12) is coached by Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing. The Hoyas finished in eighth place in the Big East regular season with a 7-9 record, but won four straight games in the Big East tournament, including wins over Villanova and Creighton, to capture the tourney title and the league's automatic bid.

The tournament berth is a sweet reward for the Buffs, as no player on CU's roster has played in an NCAA tourney game. Colorado was expected to be included in the field last year, but the entire postseason was canceled because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The chance to participate in March Madness was one reason CU point guard McKinley Wright IV chose to return to Colorado for his senior season. While it was by no means a "normal" year, the Buffs remained healthy throughout the season and managed to play all 27 games.

"This year we sacrificed so much," Wright said. "We sacrificed all our free time, all the time that we have with our friends at CU, just so we could play ball this season. (The NCAA Tournament) is all we've talked about since I got here. To be able to play in March Madness, it's every kid's dream. It's a dream come true for a lot of us."

This year's tournament will be the fifth NCAA appearance for the Buffs in Boyle's 11 years in Boulder and 15th overall in program history. It is also the ninth postseason appearance under Boyle in 10 years of postseason opportunities (the 2020 postseason was canceled by the Covid-19 pandemic).

Prior to 2012, Colorado had advanced to just two NCAA Tournaments in 42 years (1997 and 2003).

Colorado has an all-time 10-16 record in the NCAA Tournament, and has won just two NCAA openers in the last 58 years — 1997 vs. Indiana and 2012 vs. UNLV.

"The thing about this tournament is there's no tomorrows," Boyle said. "Even with (the Pac-12 title game) at the forefront of our minds, I think our players knew there still was a tomorrow. Now there's absolutely no tomorrow. Next time we lose a game we're done. The season's over with. We have to relish that opportunity and enjoy the experience. This experience is what being a college basketball player is all about and I'm so glad they're going to have a chance to experience that."

Michigan is the top seed in Colorado's region followed by No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 Texas and No. 4 Florida State. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 are scheduled for Mar. 27-30 with the Final Four set for April 3 & 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Colorado was one of five Pac-12 teams to earn an NCAA berth. USC is a No. 6 seed, Oregon is a No. 7, UCLA is a No. 11 (and will play in the First Four) and conference tourney champ Oregon State earned a No. 12 seed.

TICKETS NOTE: Season ticket holders and select donors are able to log into their ticket account to request NCAA tournament tickets. Simply login to your account, select "My Account" and "Renewals and Applications."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links for more info on Georgetown -

Roster
- https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020-21
Schedule with past results - https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Article after their tourney selection - https://guhoyas.com/news/2021/3/14/...tournament-will-face-5-colorado-saturday.aspx
Their article with more info on the game - https://guhoyas.com/news/2021/3/15/...-for-ncaa-first-round-contests-announced.aspx
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few general media links (with info on all games, bracket, etc.)-

The NCAA's official (assume updating) bracket - https://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/bracket
CBS's webpage with info on all the games - https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...the-ncaa-tournament-tv-announcer-assignments/
NBC Sport's webpage with info on all the games (Unlike CBS's page, NBC's was the 1st I found which included the location of each game included in their descriptions. This page, however, doesn't list who the announcers are.) - https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/0...es-dates-channels-mens-ncaa-tournament-games/
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Buff-Hoya game specific media links:

Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on CBS. I've never explored their various options as to subscriptions required to view their content online or via apps, but maybe if you have a Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, , assume the game may also be streamed through a link at https://www.cbssports.com/cbssports . I believe that CBS (or whoever owns them) also just started a new Paramount+ service, and I don't know if that might also be a way to watch this and other games on CBS or other channels.?. (I personally plan to stream the game using the Locast app on the media streamer connected to my TV, with my monthly Locast donation costing me $5.50 per month.)

Live audio - No streaming links available as I type this, but assume they will be added to the schedule as game time approaches. Coverage should also be available on the radio (KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM).

Live stats - Can't find link as I type this.

Game notes - Not available as I type this.

NCAA's webpage for this game (Right now, mainly includes team stat comparisons, as well as individual stats for both teams.) - https://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/game/211

Last edited:
scared surprised GIF

I like the matchup. I think we can man up on the perimeter and still rebound. No one they faced in the Big East tourney could do both (they would have lost to UConn).

Lol. They pulled out BigBang’s post in that thread. Also, all of them admit to watching no Pac-12 basketball. Fire Larry Scott again.
To be fair, I live about an hour drive from Georgetown, and it's really hard to stay up to watch Pac-12 games, even if they're on ESPN.

FYI - Here is a thread about the game on a Georgetown board:

It's interesting to read their analysis. Their board is crap, but not as bad as CSU's. Anyone want to go troll?

I read a few posts. Not wasting my time trolling a fanbase who thinks they know the game a lot better than they do in reality-there were a couple people who were talking about how they're the much better defensive team and how they're gonna punch us in the mouth. For the hell of it, I pulled scoring defense up to compare us with them. Here's what I found:

Georgetown allows an average of 70.7 ppg. That's good for 189th in the country.
We're allowing 63.3 ppg. That puts us 25th.

The ONLY concern I have with Georgetown as a first round opponent is the momentum they have from the Big East Tournament run carrying over. They looked far from an NCAA tournament caliber team until last week.

One more add on-Georgetown turns it over A LOT. 15.3 a game. That's 304th in the country. I read today they were as low as 328th in that stat in early January. Ignore the blue blood name on the front of the uniform and the fact that Patrick Ewing is their coach. When I watch them play (went back and watched a couple games pre-Big East tournament today), I saw a team we should beat by 10-15.

Last edited:
Heh. It makes me smile to read Tad obliquely dissin' mighty Georgetown.

"We don't have to raise our game up another level," Boyle said after Sunday's bracket announcement. "We just have to play the way we're capable of playing. If each player plays to their ability and we can continue to play together on offense and dial into our defensive game plan, we can beat Georgetown."

I read a few posts. Not wasting my time trolling a fanbase who thinks they know the game a lot better than they do in reality-there were a couple people who were talking about how they're the much better defensive team and how they're gonna punch us in the mouth. For the hell of it, I pulled scoring defense up to compare us with them. Here's what I found:

Georgetown allows an average of 70.7 ppg. That's good for 189th in the country.
We're allowing 63.3 ppg. That puts us 25th.

The ONLY concern I have with Georgetown as a first round opponent is the momentum they have from the Big East Tournament run carrying over. They looked far from an NCAA tournament caliber team until last week.

One more add on-Georgetown turns it over A LOT. 15.3 a game. That's 304th in the country. I read today they were as low as 328th in that stat in early January. Ignore the blue blood name on the front of the uniform and the fact that Patrick Ewing is their coach. When I watch them play (went back and watched a couple games pre-Big East tournament today), I saw a team we should beat by 10-15.

If you're gonna badmouth another fanbase at least don't make obvious mistakes yourself.

Defense - using defensive efficiency CU is 29th in the nation and Georgetown is 41st. It's closer than you think. Pace is the big factor there. They're solid on D and they don't foul which is going to be interesting to watch. They don't force turnovers which is going to be the big factor in this game. If we don't give them easy chances in transition, I like our odds. If we throw the ball all over the court and let them get some easy buckets it could be a long day.

If you're gonna badmouth another fanbase at least don't make obvious mistakes yourself.

Defense - using defensive efficiency CU is 29th in the nation and Georgetown is 41st. It's closer than you think. Pace is the big factor there. They're solid on D and they don't foul which is going to be interesting to watch. They don't force turnovers which is going to be the big factor in this game. If we don't give them easy chances in transition, I like our odds. If we throw the ball all over the court and let them get some easy buckets it could be a long day.
G'town are great when the game gets frenetic. Dante is at his best when the game is more free form. They've also got shooters that will kill you if they have time & space from defensive breakdowns. They've also got athletes that can pressure teams into losing poise with enough rim protection to clean up defensive mistakes.

In short, take care of the ball & make the Hoyas score in the half court = very likely Buffs win.

P.S. Glad we got them this year, because their roster is in the process of turning over & their incoming class is elite.

G'town are great when the game gets frenetic. Dante is at his best when the game is more free form. They've also got shooters that will kill you if they have time & space from defensive breakdowns. They've also got athletes that can pressure teams into losing poise with enough rim protection to clean up defensive mistakes.

In short, take care of the ball & make the Hoyas score in the half court = very likely Buffs win.

P.S. Glad we got them this year, because their roster is in the process of turning over & their incoming class is elite.

@Goose this is the one thing I think I missed in the post you responded to-Georgetown runs a lot more than we do, and they make more mistakes because of it. One other thing I saw-they tend to have brain farts when you make them have to defend until late in the shot clock. We control tempo, we win IMO.

Back