What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #3 seed Men's bball (Championship game vs. #5 seed OSU, scheduled Saturday, 3/13, 8:40 PM MT, ESPN)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
After getting to watch and hopefully learn from the 1st round games Wednesday, the #3 seed (and #23 ranked (AP poll)/ Receiving Votes (Coaches' poll)) Buffs (20-7, 14-6, #12 NET ranking) are scheduled to open play with the late quarterfinal game Thursday night vs. the winner of Wednesday's battle of the Bay 1st round tilt between the #6 seed Cardinal (14-12, 10-10, #71 NET) and #11 seed Golden Bears (8-19, 3-17, #187 NET).

Looks like any games the Buffs play in are scheduled to be shown on ESPN.

Go Buffs!!!

Initial tourney preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/7/m...do-set-as-no-3-seed-in-pac-12-tournament.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado will be the No. 3 seed at the 2021 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Tournament scheduled for Mar. 10-13 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Colorado will play the winner of a first round game between No. 6 Stanford and No. 11 California in quarterfinals on Thursday, Mar. 11. The game will air nationally on ESPN and broadcast by KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM. The Cardinal and Bears will meet Wednesday night at 8 p.m. MT (Pac-12 Network) for the right to face the Buffaloes on Thursday.

Colorado, ranked No. 24 in last week's Associated Press Top 25 Poll, finished the regular season at 20-7 and in sole possession of third place in the Pac-12 at 14-6. This will mark Colorado's first 'bye' and best seed in the Pac-12 era and best conference tournament seed since a No. 3 spot in the 1996-97 Big 12 Championship. The Buffaloes tied for third place in the 2013-14 Pac-12 regular season standings but were the No. 5 seed in the conference tournament.

2021 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament

Wednesday, March 10

No. 8 Arizona State vs. No. 9 Washington State, 2 p.m.
No. 7 Utah vs. No. 10 Washington, 5 p.m.
No. 6 Stanford vs. No. 11 California, 8 p.m.

Thursday, March 11
ASU/WSU vs. No. 1 Oregon, 12:30 p.m.
No. 5 Oregon State vs. No. 4 UCLA, 3:30 p.m.
UT/UW vs. No. 2 USC, 6:30 p.m.
SU/CAL vs. No. 3 Colorado, 9:30 p.m.

Friday, March 12

Semifinal 1, 6:30 p.m.
Semifinal 2, 9:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 13
Pac-12 Championship, 8:30 p.m.
"

Pac 12 Tourney Bracket -
Hopefully interactive (updating) version (Includes what network is showing the game(s)) - https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/mens-basketball-tournament
Adobe version - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/3/7/2021_MBBT_Bracket.pdf
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- If I'm reading the interactive schedule correctly, looks like all 3 potential games the Buffs may play in are scheduled to be on ESPN. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the games can also be streamed through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/ .

Live audio - No links as I type this, but possibly/ hopefully accessible via https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2526&type=Live and/ or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/. Assume games will also be on radio (usually KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM).

Live stats - Not available as I type this.

Game notes - Not available as I type this.

Another cubuffs.com preview article, released earlier today - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/10/...pare-for-thursdays-pac-12-tourney-opener.aspx
(Per the tourney notes also now available (https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/3/9/cunotes_pac12.pdf), Dave Pasch and Bill Walton are scheduled to be on the call tomorrow night.)

"
BOULDER — Now the fun truly starts for Tad Boyle's Colorado Buffaloes.

First comes this week's Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas, followed next week by the NCAA Tournament. It's March, the time of year every college basketball player looks forward to with great anticipation.

But unlike the non-conference and league portions of the season schedule, these next two portions offer no guarantees of tomorrow.

As Boyle so succinctly put it last week, "It's win or go home. There's no, 'Oh, we didn't play well, we'll bounce back next Thursday or Saturday.' There's no bounce backs. It's win or go home."

On paper, Stanford offers the tougher game, as the Cardinal is seeded sixth while Cal is last in the field at No. 11 (Arizona is ineligible for the conference tournament, thus only 11 teams).

But in their regular season matchups, the Buffs swept Stanford and split with Cal, as the Bears stunned Colorado on their home floor in mid-February, 71-62.

The Buffs no doubt remember the loss to Cal, but are preparing for both until they know for sure who they will face.

"We know their play style, we know their personnel, we know their plays, and they know the same for us," said CU point guard McKinley Wright IV, who earned his third straight All-Pac-12 honors on Tuesday. "At the end of the day it just comes down to teams making plays, taking care of the ball, defending and rebounding. No matter who we play, we have to go in with that mindset to defend and rebound and let everything else take care of itself."

Meanwhile, the Buffs have spent this week working on details they haven't had the luxury of addressing for the past couple of months.

"As you come down the stretch you have to be ready for anything and everything," Boyle said. "It's been good to have this time off to go back and work on some things we haven't worked on in a while, brush up on some things … We've used this week to really work on what we need to work on and being in a position where we're prepared for anything."

That includes being prepared for a long, long road trip.
"

On advantage the Buffs may have in this tourney is depth and rest.

Nine players are averaging double digits in playing time led my Wright IV at 32.8 (which I would bet is the lowest in hsi career) and a tenth (da Silva) is close 9.7. For once Kin hasn't been forced to be run into the ground game after game and others have contributed offensively in big ways for the majority of the season. I kept finding myself thinking throughout the season how Kin wasn't needed to take over the games for the Buffs to win. And this allowed him to get more rest too.

In particular, the depth in the front court has been tremendous. There have been numerous games where one or two forwards have had foul trouble and it doesn't seem to slow the team down. The same with injuries.

After #11 seed Cal defeated #6 seed Stanford 76-58 in their 1st round matchup tonight, I have updated this thread's title to reflect that the Golden Bears are the Buffs' opponent tomorrow night in their quarterfinal game.

Last edited:
Another cubuffs.com preview article, released earlier today - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/10/...pare-for-thursdays-pac-12-tourney-opener.aspx
(Per the tourney notes also now available (https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/3/9/cunotes_pac12.pdf), Dave Pasch and Bill Walton are scheduled to be on the call tomorrow night.)

"
BOULDER — Now the fun truly starts for Tad Boyle's Colorado Buffaloes.

First comes this week's Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas, followed next week by the NCAA Tournament. It's March, the time of year every college basketball player looks forward to with great anticipation.

But unlike the non-conference and league portions of the season schedule, these next two portions offer no guarantees of tomorrow.

As Boyle so succinctly put it last week, "It's win or go home. There's no, 'Oh, we didn't play well, we'll bounce back next Thursday or Saturday.' There's no bounce backs. It's win or go home."

On paper, Stanford offers the tougher game, as the Cardinal is seeded sixth while Cal is last in the field at No. 11 (Arizona is ineligible for the conference tournament, thus only 11 teams).

But in their regular season matchups, the Buffs swept Stanford and split with Cal, as the Bears stunned Colorado on their home floor in mid-February, 71-62.

The Buffs no doubt remember the loss to Cal, but are preparing for both until they know for sure who they will face.

"We know their play style, we know their personnel, we know their plays, and they know the same for us," said CU point guard McKinley Wright IV, who earned his third straight All-Pac-12 honors on Tuesday. "At the end of the day it just comes down to teams making plays, taking care of the ball, defending and rebounding. No matter who we play, we have to go in with that mindset to defend and rebound and let everything else take care of itself."

Meanwhile, the Buffs have spent this week working on details they haven't had the luxury of addressing for the past couple of months.

"As you come down the stretch you have to be ready for anything and everything," Boyle said. "It's been good to have this time off to go back and work on some things we haven't worked on in a while, brush up on some things … We've used this week to really work on what we need to work on and being in a position where we're prepared for anything."

That includes being prepared for a long, long road trip.
"
Appreciate all the work you do. Tad said they aren't coming back to Boulder until the their ncaa run is done. Hope that's a long time.

I got up at 4:30 to learn 17 hours until game time. Oh my.

MW is going into to this with a big chip on his shoulder. Disrespected by the refs, eliminated from the Cousy award, longshot for league MVP - even with 1700, 600, 600.
I'm sure he will be thinking team 1st, but I hope he MVPs both tourneys.

Last edited:
I got up at 4:30 to learn 17 hours until game time. Oh my.

MW is going into to this with a big chip on his shoulder. Disrespected by the refs, eliminated from the Cousy award, longshot for league MVP - even with 1700, 600, 600.
I'm sure he will be thinking team 1st, but I hope he MVPs both tourneys.
I think he's had that chip on his shoulder ever since he started competing as a kid. I'm sure he heard a lot of bull**** over the years like, you're not big enough, strong enough, etc etc. Well, he's proven all that wrong already, just finish strong and don't change a thing.

Reactions: '99
Be interesting to see when this game might start now. I believe the announcers of the UCLA-OSU game mentioned it takes around 1 hour to sanitize things between games. With the last OT game ending around 6:15 MT, that would mean ~7:15 start for USC-Utah, that takes ~2 hours (assuming no OT), plus 1 more hour after that for sanitizing- we could be talking about a 10:00-10:30 MT start for the Buffs?

So assuming we get past Cal (which is not a given considering our last game against them) ... who would we rather play in the next round, the Utes or the Condoms? I get the "it's hard to beat the same team three times is a season" argument ... but we've done it before (see versus K-state in 2011). But then again the Utes scare the **** out of me, what with Plummer et al. I'm just wondering who I should be rooting for in this game.

But first things first ... pound the Bears!!

So assuming we get past Cal (which is not a given considering our last game against them) ... who would we rather play in the next round, the Utes or the Condoms? I get the "it's hard to beat the same team three times is a season" argument ... but we've done it before (see versus K-state in 2011). But then again the Utes scare the **** out of me, what with Plummer et al. I'm just wondering who I should be rooting for in this game.

USC obviously. A loss to Utah is still a bad loss and a win does nothing. A loss to USC is a Q1 game, a win against USC is another Q1 win.

Knowing we have Walton tonight I just took an edible. Thought you gentlemen would like to know.

Of course the Condoms and Utes are going to OT. That means the Buffs won't be playing until at at least 10:30 MT. :mad:

Be interesting to see when this game might start now. I believe the announcers of the UCLA-OSU game mentioned it takes around 1 hour to sanitize things between games. With the last OT game ending around 6:15 MT, that would mean ~7:15 start for USC-Utah, that takes ~2 hours (assuming no OT), plus 1 more hour after that for sanitizing- we could be talking about a 10:00-10:30 MT start for the Buffs?
Now tracking to start at 6am Eastern

Back