What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 5 star recruit guaranteed $8mm in NIL

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
Unbelievable. I liked Liver's post but was shaking my head at the same time. Nice Aliens reference, btw.

This is why the NCAA and the member schools were so stupid not to get out in front of things with a plan to give the players salaries and other benefits. By leaving it up to private enterprise, they are just exposing athletes to more exploitation and corruption, and absolutely crushing the competitive balance.

The repayment clause that is mentioned in that article is unbelievable. There are going to be some young athletes and their families who will end up just getting absolutely destroyed by the promise of an early payday.

Gross.

The story is behind the paywall.

What is the source of the $8 million? One booster? Or is it crowd funded by a group?

Crazy that double the resources will be used to buy 1 recruit than what a MWC member gets in media revenue over 2 years.
I have been saying that college football as we know it is over, just a question of how long they drag out the death process.

When I see things like this I lose interest in the game. If I want to see pros I can go back to focusing my attention on the NFL. There is no way in the world that some kid getting this kind of money has even the slightest concern about "getting an education."

We have known for years that a significant number of players were more concerned about their payday, either down the road from the NFL or the illegal one from the boosters but there has been at least a pretense of the concept of a student athlete. With this kind of thing that is gone.

I will probably still follow the Buffs as they crumble along with the rest of the programs that aren't participants in this sham of a "college sport." It may however be time to up my attention on the RMAC schools where I know the vast majority of players know they aren't going pro and play for the scholarship and the love of the game.

Colorado is a very wealthy state, with no other teams competing in the power 5 within (or even regionally). Boosters could offer enticing financial packages.

The issue is that culturally-speaking, when someone in the south pays huge dollars in NIL, everyone says “Wow! What a great guy.”

When someone in Colorado does that, the majority of people would say “Wow! What a loser,”

Even a school like Oregon is one heartbeat away from irrelevance.

Colorado is a very wealthy state, with no other teams competing in the power 5 within (or even regionally). Boosters could offer enticing financial packages.

The issue is that culturally-speaking, when someone in the south pays huge dollars in NIL, everyone says “Wow! What a great guy.”

When someone in Colorado does that, the majority of people would say “Wow! What a loser,”

All correct.

We are all fans of college sports, specifically the money sports of football and basketball and we made fun of former regent Krol when he made his comment about curing cancer but it is a fair question to ask if these sports support the mission of the university or are the mission of the university.

Athletic teams can add a great deal to the college experience. They entertain yes but they can also unite and draw interest and attention to the schools. The recruited athletes significantly add to the diversity of the schools from many aspects.

Ultimately though when an 18 year old is getting more money to play a game than any professor or researcher is making, when more is spent on athletic facilities than on any academic facilities then the question needs to be asked why are they doing this.

Looking at it makes it very hard to justify and support.

Knight reportedly set them up with the largest endowment in the history of public college athetics.
I know he’s given the university over a billion already, but my understanding was that was spent, and not necessarily an endowment. He usually likes to hold future cash over the heads of the university for leverage to get what he wants. However, I can’t say for sure what he has committed to now or upon his death with any certainty.

I would also add that any endowment is playing the old game. Fancy facilities and the ability to pay coaches still matter a lot, but the new game of paying players directly does not flow through university coffers.

Just purchased a vehicle recently and I’m going to put Broncos stuff in & on it. The day CU joined the P12 seems a long time ago. I bought a large CU window decal to put on my vehicle and a stranger was more than happy to help me put it on the car in the Safeway parking lot that day.

How much of the wealth in Colorado is actually from Colorado or has ties to the University? I would guess very few, especially relative to the South where most of the money in the states are from there or have ties to the respective universities

How much of the wealth in Colorado is actually from Colorado or has ties to the University? I would guess very few, especially relative to the South where most of the money in the states are from there or have ties to the respective universities
There is a lot of homegrown money here or money that they want to portray as homegrown. There is also unlike much of SEC/ACC/B1G country other much more prominent places to put it if they want to buy attention or credibility.

A couple examples just as a sample is that Phil Long Dealerships and Frank Azar (PI Lawyer) but put significant money into being the "official" sponsors of the Denver Broncos. In Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Ohio, etc. that money is going to the local flagship college football program.

Very easy for the schools, say for instance Texas A&M to play a round of golf with one or more of those sponsors in the off-season and mention that instead of increasing the dollar cost of the sponsorship this year how about funneling some of that money to players or recruits that they want to prioritize.

That particular options is much more limited at CU when those sponsors are sending their money to Invesco Field instead.

This is why the NCAA and the member schools were so stupid not to get out in front of things with a plan to give the players salaries and other benefits. By leaving it up to private enterprise, they are just exposing athletes to more exploitation and corruption, and absolutely crushing the competitive balance.

The repayment clause that is mentioned in that article is unbelievable. There are going to be some young athletes and their families who will end up just getting absolutely destroyed by the promise of an early payday.

Gross.
Meh, good. They are businessmen now, right?

I have been saying that college football as we know it is over, just a question of how long they drag out the death process.

When I see things like this I lose interest in the game. If I want to see pros I can go back to focusing my attention on the NFL. There is no way in the world that some kid getting this kind of money has even the slightest concern about "getting an education."

We have known for years that a significant number of players were more concerned about their payday, either down the road from the NFL or the illegal one from the boosters but there has been at least a pretense of the concept of a student athlete. With this kind of thing that is gone.

I will probably still follow the Buffs as they crumble along with the rest of the programs that aren't participants in this sham of a "college sport." It may however be time to up my attention on the RMAC schools where I know the vast majority of players know they aren't going pro and play for the scholarship and the love of the game.
Speaking only for myself, but whether a kid has a genuine interest in “getting an education” or not has never mattered to me and never will. I’d rather it was in the open than pretending some sanctity exists that never has in my lifetime.

Gross.
Where in that chaotic phase right after “state price setting” was changed to ”free markets”. Things are going to bounce around a bit before its clear if these kinds of deals are sustainable and continuous year over year over year. Or just a one off aberration.

Deciding to pay all college kids at all positions minimum wage on top of scholarships would have been an improvement but would never solve the issue of star power in professional sports. Which is ‘he who hath the best skills at the unicorn positions doth deserveth more money’. And College was always just a stepping stone or finish school for the NFL anyways. While that one guy made it to The Legaue he did it on the backs of a bunch of other guys that didnt.

Last edited:
The PAC is ****ed…

<disclaimer- I know this will never happen>
If I’m the new incoming President of CU, I take a hard look at leaving the conference and dropping football.

At the current trajectory of CFB, how long until CU is just hemorrhaging money to keep a FB team afloat? With no hope of every really competing.

I’d focus on competitive Mens and Womens teams in Bball, Soccer, Lacrosse, and add both mens and womens hockey. You would have natural rivals in all of these sports right in state with DU, CC, AFA and could join the NCHC for hockey and immediately become one of the bigger fish in that pond.

Football just seems like an albatross in the changing landscape of college athletics. I can’t imagine the juice is worth the squeeze much longer for schools like CU with regard to football.

The PAC is ****ed…

<disclaimer- I know this will never happen>
If I’m the new incoming President of CU, I take a hard look at leaving the conference and dropping football.

At the current trajectory of CFB, how long until CU is just hemorrhaging money to keep a FB team afloat? With no hope of every really competing.

I’d focus on competitive Mens and Womens teams in Bball, Soccer, Lacrosse, and add both mens and womens hockey. You would have natural rivals in all of these sports right in state with DU, CC, AFA and could join the NCHC for hockey and immediately become one of the bigger fish in that pond.

Football just seems like an albatross in the changing landscape of college athletics. I can’t imagine the juice is worth the squeeze much longer for schools like CU with regard to football.
The Office Yes GIF

Back