What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 OR QB Drew Carter (SIGNED to COLORADO)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

15762655047865492.jpg

Tigard HS (Portland, OR)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Drew_503
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dcsmooth_/

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 195
40:

247s rating: 3* - 88 grade; #17 QB-D
ESPN rating: 3* - 74 grade; #27 QB-D
Rivals rating: 3* - 5.5rr; unranked QB-P

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.8566 rating / #28 QB-D / #898 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah State, FCS offer

Last edited:
FSU: Derek Carr (2nd round 2014)
UNR: Colin Kaepernick (2nd round 2011)
USU: Jordan Love (1st round 2020)

Looks like CU is stepping up to compete against programs with a better recent QB history for the next QB commit.
What?

He's not wrong.

Montez had probably the most pro potential of any CU QB in 15 years and he just became a UDFA.

Lol no ****. When we lived in Oregon from 2008-2015, this was the HS at which my partner taught. Some of you keener observers may have noted that this is the same HS that Jash Allen attended.

He's not wrong.

Montez had probably the most pro potential of any CU QB in 15 years and he just became a UDFA.
There are a lot of scouts that didn't agree with that statement. The most worrying part about Montez game is he never corrected the throwing to the left problem in his game. I actually think Sefo was more pro ready. Also the draft was deep in other areas this year that is why Montez went undrafted. In a normal year Montez would have been drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

I have to imagine we are the favorite here. He also appears to be a DI basketball prospect

He has an above average arm and has good height. The drawbacks: With any pressure, he puts his head down and runs without continuing to look downfield. Most concerning, there were a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets and he exclusively locks in on his first option. He did throw to his second option on occasion, but I did not see one play where he read thru his progressions. Maybe they were that good and his early options were always open, but it would be a concern of mine.

Most QBs in high school have the same problem. But most of the throws in the highlight reel were to open guys. His 2nd or 3rd reads were covered.

Last edited:
I saw him look thru and throw to a 3rd option.

He may not have elite arm strength but he's really accurate including when he's on the move. He also has a very quick release.

The vids show him running but one play better describes his athleticism. It was a quick pass to the left meant to take advantage of #'s. Shotgun snap was well above his head and he had to jump to catch it. As soon as his feet touched down, the ball was out.

It doesn't sound like much, but how many young qb's muff the catch, or have to readjust the grip before throwing, or have to shuffle their feet to make the throw? All those throw off the plays timing. He made it look effortless.

Watched him again. Solid mechanics, good throws on the run, athletic guy. Good touch on his passes. In the right system and with good coaching. He can win a lot of games in College.

Last edited:
Watched him again. Solid mechanics throwing on the run. Good touch on his passes. In the right system and with good coaching, he can win a lot of games in College.
Right now he’s are only QB offer out that’s not committed. He has that going for him as well.

I saw him look thru and throw to a 3rd option.

He may not have elite arm strength but he's really accurate including when he's on the move. He also has a very quick release.

The vids show him running but one play better describes his athleticism. It was a quick pass to the left meant to take advantage of #'s. Shotgun snap was well above his head and he had to jump to catch it. As soon as his feet touched down, the ball was out.

It doesn't sound like much, but how many young qb's muff the catch, or have to readjust the grip before throwing, or have to shuffle their feet to make the throw? All those throw off the plays timing. He made it look effortless.
I wouldn't mind a good game manager who threw a catchable ball to the correct receiver while being able to see over the line of scrimmage.

Been a while since we've had that. It's what I'm hoping for with Lytle, actually. Boise State has had a lot of success with this profile. Got to have good OL play, a solid running game and good play calling around it for that to work, though.

I wouldn't mind a good game manager who threw a catchable ball to the correct receiver while being able to see over the line of scrimmage.

Been a while since we've had that. It's what I'm hoping for with Lytle, actually. Boise State has had a lot of success with this profile. Got to have good OL play, a solid running game and good play calling around it for that to work, though.

two strikes in that last sentence. Oline is not going to be good or get better the way it is being approached from a recruiting perspective and the trach record for our new play caller is less than stellar.

Accuracy is such a gift. Put a good decision maker who is accurate behind a decent oline and it frustrates a defense.

A quick release is both a physical trait and a mental processing trait. To me, being able to quickly process the complex visual picture and get the ball accurately to the choice the system calls for may be the most important quality a QB can have. This kid looks to be very good at that.

I don’t see any problem with arm strength, as he was throwing 30 yard outs across the field on a rope, and on the money. His mid-range, mid-field throws excite me the most. Accurate into traffic at the second level.

Yes please!

Kid reminds me a lot of Koy. Not a huge arm, but throws a very catchable ball. Always has a little air under the ball, and on target. I like this kid.

Back