What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 TNFR QB JT Shrout (SIGNED to COLORADO)

Did the NCAA increase the scholarship limit from 85? If so great, but if not then having “extra players due to the pandemic” does seem unsustainable.

I suspect it will sort itself out in spring because if it doesn’t, recruiting a ‘22 QB is going to be very difficult with 5 scholarship QBs and 3 freshmen on the roster heading into fall.
Haven't seen exactly how it is going to work but the NCAA has indicated that the scholarship limit is going to be adjusted for next year due to the Covid year.

A real concern though should be that we don't know what the long term plan will be. If we overload with players and then they return to a hard 85 for 2022 it could create havoc with recruiting if we aren't willing to cut kids out of the program.

Glad I don't have to be responsible for managing the situation.

Did the NCAA increase the scholarship limit from 85? If so great, but if not then having “extra players due to the pandemic” does seem unsustainable.

I suspect it will sort itself out in spring because if it doesn’t, recruiting a ‘22 QB is going to be very difficult with 5 scholarship QBs and 3 freshmen on the roster heading into fall.
It ends up being a good move if Shrout is better than what we've got.

Anyway, CU is like every other program in the country -- QBs who are buried on the depth chart will transfer. QBs who don't win the starting job and feel they're good enough to start in D1 will probably leave, too, even if they get to play quite a bit.

Hey guys, new here and a JT follower, been watching him since high school. Kid has amazing talent and I’m happy to see him end up at a school that has a good (from what I’ve seen) coaching staff. Admittedly I have not payed much attention to the program but I will now be watching. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. I hope CU kicks butt tomorrow in the bowl game😁 look forward to chatting here.

Fooled? Allen literally spent the entire offseason changing the entirety of his throwing motion. The Bills also traded for Stefon Diggs, which has been fortuitous for the Bills’ offense. Allen has had exactly one season ever as an accurate passer. And BTW, how in god’s name are you comparing a lightly recruited QB with little physical makeup equivalent to Allen supposed to bolster your argument?
Nobody is making that comparison. It was an example of the less-than-perfect science of quarterback evaluation. If you don't like that one, pick another.

Fooled? Allen literally spent the entire offseason changing the entirety of his throwing motion. The Bills also traded for Stefon Diggs, which has been fortuitous for the Bills’ offense. Allen has had exactly one season ever as an accurate passer. And BTW, how in god’s name are you comparing a lightly recruited QB with little physical makeup equivalent to Allen supposed to bolster your argument?

Did D-Mac from 104.3 hijack your account?

Cutler Year 2: 7-9, Passer Rating 88.1
Cutler Year 3: 8-8, Passer Rating 86.0

Allen Year 2: 10-6, Passer Rating 85.3
Allen Year 3: 12-3, Passer Rating 106.4

D-Mac from 104.3 in Denver used the Russians on you Hanky.

passer rating and wins? Cmon. This is a superficial assessment with bad stats. There have been substantial rules changes in the past 12 years to help increase scoring - fewer passes count as INC, so passer rating is meaningless comparetively.

Buffalo had the #2 scoring defense last year.
Buffalo has the #15 scoring defense this year, but the great fortune of the NEP being their worst in 18 years and being in a division with the league’s second worst team.
Buffalo also has two receivers in the Top 6 in WR catch percentage rankings.

2007 Broncos scoring D was 27th
2008 Broncos scoring D was 30th

People thought Cutler was god level in his second full season because the team managed a .500 record with the league’s third worst defense.

Declaring that a player “is good” based on one really good season is unhelpful. If Allen has really good seasons for 4-5 years straight, then you can just state that he’s good. Until then, he is a wait snd see.

I honestly wonder if BigBang is trolling every one of us.

if so, that is some next level trolling that is worthy of our respect and admiration.

clap applause GIF

Lol the bolded is exactly what Denver is not doing.
It confuses the hell out of me! Paxton was not a great NFL QB, but talk about square peg into round hole! Hate the “can they run an NFL offense”. Who cares. If they have College Success and you draft them, create an offense that lets them do what they do best. If its just a few basic schemes, so be it.
Feel like Lock has enough tools to be way better if it was simple like he did at Mizzou

The numbers were not really the focus for Cutler. I went to Vandy, and what Cutler did every Saturday was run for his life for as long as he could, then zing a laser to a momentarily open son of an alumnus, once the defense thought there was no way he can throw it that far. Defenses got pressure with one NT with a cold and dropped 27 into coverage.
Sure Culter lived down to his numbers in the Pros, but numbers need context.

The numbers were not really the focus for Cutler. I went to Vandy, and what Cutler did every Saturday was run for his life for as long as he could, then zing a laser to a momentarily open son of an alumnus, once the defense thought there was no way he can throw it that far. Defenses got pressure with one NT with a cold and dropped 27 into coverage.
Sure Culter lived down to his numbers in the Pros, but numbers need context.
He thinks wins are a good stat even though Allen has one of the best defenses in the NFL whereas Cutler had one of the worst.

He thinks wins are a good stat even though Allen has one of the best defenses in the NFL whereas Cutler had one of the worst.
True enough. When looking at the improvement of Josh Allen's statistics you can also just ignore the additions of John Brown and Cole Beasley last year and the addition of some guy named Stefon Diggs this year. They had nothing to do with his increased effectiveness and winning games either.

It confuses the hell out of me! Paxton was not a great NFL QB, but talk about square peg into round hole! Hate the “can they run an NFL offense”. Who cares. If they have College Success and you draft them, create an offense that lets them do what they do best. If its just a few basic schemes, so be it.
Feel like Lock has enough tools to be way better if it was simple like he did at Mizzou

I get what you are saying, but I don’t think it’s correct. You can’t run “a few basic schemes” in the NFL and be successful. NFL professional defenses will key on that and the offense will stagnate. College coaches used to try that a lot and failed miserably.

While I agree that NFL GMs make some puzzling decisions on QBs (Paxton Lynch is a great example) and can get carried away sometimes with arm talent versus some other things, it’s pretty much impossible to be an NFL QB with a below average NFL arm no matter how successful you were in college. It reminds me of when Spurrier tried to roll out Danny Wuerfel in the NFL. He simply could not zip the ball from A to B in the league, and every good GM knew it. Defenses ate that guy up, and Spurrier too.

Back