What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TNFR QB Maddox Kopp (SIGNED to COLORADO)

CU should be okay once JT shrout comes back from injury.

B Lewis is playing well and will get better next season. JT Shrout is a capable backup or even potentional starter.

Happy Clap GIF

Kopp entered the transfer portal on Nov. 14 and he quietly took a visit to Boulder the weekend of Nov. 20. Arizona, Indiana, Cincinnati and Maryland were contenders for his commitment as a transfer. Kopp will join the herd with four years to play four.

So now there is Lewis, Shrout, Kopp, Carter, McCown, and Oakie. Definitely a far cry from what the Buffs were carrying into fall camp last season. Unless Oakie is no longer considering playing at QB.

Is Lewis in danger of not being a 4 year starter, or is this all about building up depth behind him?

I think Lewis has started his last game at CU barring injury. I'm just hopeful he sticks around for 2022 to provide good, experienced depth.
Welcome Mr Kopp.

I disagree. I think Lewis will be very good. Tremendous running and passing yardage in HS. And, what I like a lot is, shortly after he got here, he established himself as the physically strongest QB at CU, ever. And he's not 'buff' or 'cut', like a lifter. He's just tough.

All season, people here have been blaming KD and DC for Lewis's missteps. Why the change?

Welcome Mr Kopp.

I disagree. I think Lewis will be very good. Tremendous running and passing yardage in HS. And, what I like a lot is, shortly after he got here, he established himself as the physically strongest QB at CU, ever. And he's not 'buff' or 'cut', like a lifter. He's just tough.

All season, people here have been blaming KD and DC for Lewis's missteps. Why the change?
Unless you just won the trophy the next QB is always the most popular guy in town, until he plays then the next QB is the most popular.

Reading into this kid seems more like a depth pickup with potential. Seems likely he will take a year or two before he even has a chance to compete for a spot. With that said give me 5-6 qbs on the roster and let’s keep looking for gold. It’s the only way to turn this sinking ship around.

It seems like every single year I always get into this kind of debates. Just like when Allen and Herbert were entering the NFL draft. I remember how you were saying they would not make it in the NFL. Maddox Kopp is the kind of QB the NFL is looking for. A big, strong athletic kid with a strong arm. Kopp has all of the physical tools. His challenge will be the mental side of the game. Reading defenses and etc BTW what is up with Baker Mayfield in Cleveland?
You posted a video that you thought was a dazzling display of NFL caliber arm talent and the first clip was him, against air, throwing 2 yards behind a receiver on the most routine of routes. That’s what we are laughing at, not trying to debate Maddox’s potential going forward

Last edited:
The problem is, his base and footwork are not good in the Elite 11 film.
That’s the point.

And its one of the reasons, as I understand it, that QB coaches don’t work on footwork (or mechanics) during the season is that it messes up up your throwing mechanics/accuracy. It’s something left for off season workouts, etc. Working on fundamentals usually makes the overall performance worse before it gets better, because you are focusing on doing something new, something that’s not habitual (yet); changing bad habits is hard. That’s why we do repetative drills.

Not stating that’s necessarily what’s going on here, it’s just a guess, but he his clearly over-emphasizing is footwork in the Elite 11 film, and it looks very different from his in game footwork from the Huddle film

I like this transfer. Very fluid with his moving around and a very lively strong arm. His ceiling is quite high!
Welcome to the Buffs, Max!!

That’s the point.

And its one of the reasons, as I understand it, that QB coaches don’t work on footwork (or mechanics) during the season is that it messes up up your throwing mechanics/accuracy. It’s something left for off season workouts, etc. Working on fundamentals usually makes the overall performance worse before it gets better, because you are focusing on doing something new, something that’s not habitual (yet); changing bad habits is hard. That’s why we do repetative drills.

Not stating that’s necessarily what’s going on here, it’s just a guess, but he his clearly over-emphasizing is footwork in the Elite 11 film, and it looks very different from his in game footwork from the Huddle film
I hear ya, but if he doesn’t have his mechanics down at this point, that’s a problem.

Back