What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TNFR QB Maddox Kopp (SIGNED to COLORADO)

I hear ya, but if he doesn’t have his mechanics down at this point, that’s a problem.
It's my understanding that the Elite 11 camps are for HS QBs. So, I was under the impression that this was a video of work he did as he was ending his HS career. We don't know what he did during his year or so while he was at Houston. I would assume he's been working on issues with his mechanics throughout his time there.(Maybe I'm wrong.)

I don't think it's a big deal that HS QBs need work on their footwork and mechanics. I would assume most do. Again, I'm not saying my explanation IS what's going on. It just looks to me like he's overtly focused on that in the video (and the drills with the coach mocking up a rusher to avoid while still moving his feet in that Manning style) seem to support that, and that could explain the inaccuracies and lack of fluidity.

And hey, Sefo never got his footwork right. He always struggled throwing to his left; he couldn't get his feet pointed in that direction smoothly and usually ended up locking out his left knee (as I recall). Sefo got us the best season we'd had in decades, so fundamentals are not entirely dispositive of results. Sure, I'd always prefer smooth and athletic, but BLew is pretty smooth and athletic in his throwing style and that--clearly--did not lead to much success. I'm hopeful it will in the future, of course.

It's my understanding that the Elite 11 camps are for HS QBs. So, I was under the impression that this was a video of work he did as he was ending his HS career. We don't know what he did during his year or so while he was at Houston. I would assume he's been working on issues with his mechanics throughout his time there.(Maybe I'm wrong.)

I don't think it's a big deal that HS QBs need work on their footwork and mechanics. I would assume most do. Again, I'm not saying my explanation IS what's going on. It just looks to me like he's overtly focused on that in the video (and the drills with the coach mocking up a rusher to avoid while still moving his feet in that Manning style) seem to support that, and that could explain the inaccuracies and lack of fluidity.

And hey, Sefo never got his footwork right. He always struggled throwing to his left; he couldn't get his feet pointed in that direction smoothly and usually ended up locking out his left knee (as I recall). Sefo got us the best season we'd had in decades, so fundamentals are not entirely dispositive of results. Sure, I'd always prefer smooth and athletic, but BLew is pretty smooth and athletic in his throwing style and that--clearly--did not lead to much success. I'm hopeful it will in the future, of course.
damn. my son in when he was in 9th grade could make those throws (albeit not as long). we are talking "elite 11" - it's just --- dude.

he missed a 7 yard out and a slant. against air

damn. my son in when he was in 9th grade could make those throws (albeit not as long). we are talking "elite 11" - it's just --- dude.
That's not the point. We can all stand there and throw the ball. The point is trying to focus on doing something that feels unnatural as the point of focus of a drill, especially that particular change in footwork (which looks like it requires quite a bit of focus as you are doing it for the first time). The end result of the "completion" is not the point.

When doing drills at the golf course, the point may not be the final result (getting close to one of the pins) but learning some new (and hopefully better) swing changes. And yes, if I'm at the driving range focusing on getting my left side to fire through the swing, my nephew hitting next to me may be hitting better shots. I may well chunk a huge number of balls off into the fence. (Not using the Y word.) But once I get used to the changes to my swing, theoretically, I should be better than I was before.

Again, this is just a guess as to what may be going on. But it sure looks like these are drills about footwork to me.

Okay, to hopefully shed some clarity on this and maybe wrap up the discussion:
1) Elite 11 Sessions or Camps are not for skills/mechanics development. They are showcases. So, if a player shows up hoping to refine mechanics or work out some issues they are most definitely in the wrong place.
2) Any HS QB who is getting D1 interest should be pretty refined by their JR year. There might be minor things to clean up that can be worked on in private sessions with a QB coach prior to signing or by the eventual college staff. The concern I have in this video is that the "pressure" you mentioned above is VERY basic and something that happens in almost every training session/showcase. It seems to really throw him off on those throws. This isn't good and again points to him having some work to do. Which brings me to my assessement FWIW...
3) The first issue is his base is too wide. And no, as some people have said on here he is not fluid. It would be interesting to compare his evasiness and slide movement in the pocket to other QBs that were also at this session. I think you'd see he has some work to do there. The other big thing I see is he "plays small." He crouches in the pocket taking away his height advantage. That needs to be coached out of him. Next, he drops the ball when he moves out of the pocket or evades pressure. It should not move off his pec at any point. This is likely the issue on his errant throws on the run. This is very fixable. Lastly, I'll throw in an obeservation from his SR film. His deep balls are rainbows. He tips his shoulders too far on throws beyond 30 yards which is strange for a big QB. He uses his body position to gain height and distance rather than body torque and release point. Again, fixable.

All this said, the kid does have a great frame, a lively arm (when he uses core torque and lower body rather than just upper body/arm strength) and he very good at keeping his eyes downfield and reading the coverage/action. Hopefully we provide him with a good mentor to clean up some things and help him reach his potential.

Live game action tends to revert to habits and old habits are very hard to break.

Watching a cherry picked tape of throwing in shorts shows one thing, he has a big arm. We already knew that. We don't know how many of those throws were off target since they were edited out. And we definitely learn nothing about how it all holds together when using live bullets.

He has prototypical size and a strong arm. Got it.

Back