What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

‘21 WA QB Clay Millen (Signed to CSU)

This is just a lame excuse. We had the advantage with this kid until the visits and it went south. That takes some sweet recruiting chops when you are competing with UofA, Tucson and their lame duck staff. No excuses this time. We started to make progress and now are back to MikeMac level recruiting. Total crap
Based on his quotes, I don't think we were ever actually in the lead here.

You clearly do not know what the word pedigree means.

Pedigree definition (one of many) - "The background or history of a person, especially as conferring distinction or quality."

I see no evidence whatsoever that Dorrell has pedigree or is a good fit at CU. Tucker had it in spades, but CU did not adequately support him on numerous fronts, so he left for more $$$ and a better job at Mich St. That's on Rick George, as is the brutally uninspiring hire of Dorrell.

Pedigree definition (one of many) - "The background or history of a person, especially as conferring distinction or quality."

I see no evidence whatsoever that Dorrell has pedigree or is a good fit at CU. Tucker had it in spades, but CU did not adequately support him on numerous fronts, so he left for more $$$ and a better job at Mich St. That's on Rick George, as is the brutally uninspiring hire of Dorrell.

You are an angry person. Dorrell has pedigree, you just hate the hire.

You are an angry person. Dorrell has pedigree, you just hate the hire.

Compared to who? Certainly not to Mel Tucker, who has sensational pedigree in college football.

Dorrell has had little to no upward mobility in the coaching profession - he was mediocre as the UCLA coach, terrible as the OC at Vanderbilt, languished as a position coach in the NFL for 10+ years and has lost much familiarity with the college game. Predictably, recruiting under his watch at CU has been flat-out poor so far.

Certainly not to Mel Tucker, who has sensational pedigree in college football.

They both were head coaches of current Pac-12 schools. One of them for 5 years and all 5 of his teams played in bowl games, the other for 1 season with a non-bowl game record. One of them beat #2 ranked USC and knocked the Trojans out of the BCS title game, the other lost at home to the Air Force Academy.

I can tell that you are pretty young Sparty by the inexperienced posting style build solely on bluster and hand waving. Maybe stick to the MSU boards where your agenda is less transparent.

They both were head coaches of current Pac-12 schools. One of them for 5 years and all 5 of his teams played in bowl games, the other for 1 season with a non-bowl game record. One of them beat #2 ranked USC and knocked the Trojans out of the BCS title game, the other lost at home to the Air Force Academy.

I can tell that you are pretty young Sparty by the inexperienced posting style build solely on bluster and hand waving. Maybe stick to the MSU boards where your agenda is less transparent.

Yea, I am definitely a Sparty fan. That’s why I have had CU season tickets for football since 1988.

How about you safely tucked away in California and ready to disappear again as soon as you become disaffected? Have you ever had season tickets or donated a nickel to the CU AD? I hope so.

I have lived and died with the Buffs for many years. But those days are gone, because CU has not held up its end of the bargain. The latest being the lack of support for Mel Tucker, which led him to being open to leaving CU.

Yea, I am definitely a Sparty fan. That’s why I have had CU season tickets for football since 1988.

How about you safely tucked away in California and ready to disappear again as soon as you become disaffected? Have you ever had season tickets or donated a nickel to the CU AD? I hope so.

I have lived and died with the Buffs for many years. But those days are gone, because CU has not held up its end of the bargain. The latest being the lack of support for Mel Tucker, which led him to being open to leaving CU.
Where would you say the support was lacking for MT? I saw you listed admissions at one point and did anyone ever tell MT Cu admissions aren’t that stringent?

MT/'Rona have fücked the momentum CU had in recruiting. All those crystal balls and no Millen. Khalil Tate is no longer a 'CHĀRD so CU will be back in the W column and he'll see. Once visits open back up we might be able to steal a few of these guys away.

Last edited:

Ugh man. Dorrell was a failure at UCLA, no way around it. And it's not in any way denigrating CU to say that it's a hell of a lot easier to win there than in Boulder.

You mention 5 straight bowl games. Why don't you mention his record in those games? (Hint: it's the same as his record vs USC). You're cherry picking and your logic deserves to be attacked.

He lost at least 6 games in 4 of 5 years and then got FIRED. This is where you trot out his Pac-10 COTY award, but don't mention that UCLA finished 3rd(outright) in the conference. CU hired a retread, and not even one who was successful to begin with. And yes, desperate times.

Goodbye. Enjoy East Lansing.

When you can't attack the reason, attack the person. It's as clear an indicator as there is that you don't have a leg to stand on. Questioning someone's fandom is about as low and lazy as it gets, and again, is a sure sign you just got destroyed.

Ugh man. Dorrell was a failure at UCLA, no way around it. And it's not in any way denigrating CU to say that it's a hell of a lot easier to win there than in Boulder.

You mention 5 straight bowl games. Why don't you mention his record in those games? (Hint: it's the same as his record vs USC). You're cherry picking and your logic deserves to be attacked.

He lost at least 6 games in 4 of 5 years and then got FIRED. This is where you trot out his Pac-10 COTY award, but don't mention that UCLA finished 3rd(outright) in the conference. CU hired a retread, and not even one who was successful to begin with. And yes, desperate times.

When you can't attack the reason, attack the person. It's as clear an indicator as there is that you don't have a leg to stand on. Questioning someone's fandom is about as low and lazy as it gets, and again, is a sure sign you just got destroyed.
Meh, a lot of retreads learn and do better later. Still to be seen with Dorrel, and his lack of recruiting chops and all the timing issues work against him. But you know as much about his future success as everyone else, which is to say, nothing.

Meh, a lot of retreads learn and do better later. Still to be seen with Dorrel, and his lack of recruiting chops and all the timing issues work against him. But you know as much about his future success as everyone else, which is to say, nothing.
Dorrell is a very intelligent man.

He was a failure recruiting at UCLA, a place where recruiting should be easy. We know that coming in but as you say many retreads do much better the second time around. I had hoped that KD would have looked at his prior experience and decided to make recruiting a priority.

We knew pretty early on that wasn't going to be the case and it becomes clearer every day. Could he at some point turn it around and push his staff to do the sales work needed. I highly doubt that will happen though.

This is a bit of a bummer, wonder who he will actually be playing for when this staff is fired? Maybe he will transfer over.

Also, if Sumlin has every single one of his QB's in the NFL, then he is a terrible coach and should have won a Natty by now!!!

These “fact” arguments are insipid: from 1982 to 1992, McCartney only won ONE bowl game, so I guess he pretty much sucked as a CU coach.

UCLA has never been a football power, just every 10 years or so, they field a good team or two (aside from the Mora era when he was fired after 8 wins). KD did exactly that. People don’t like KD as a choice for head coach. Fine. It’s nothing more than an opinion. Trying to make it seem empirical is just self-serving.

It also seems odd for people to attack KD for perceived recruiting deficiencies when he has yet to be able to hold even one practice, have even one in-person recruiting weekend, after having been hired extremely late in the cycle with no connections to any of the recruits, following the complete national disaster of big-buck-Tuck chasing his financial dreams out of town.

Maybe take a Xanax or open a window or something.

I think it’s reasonable to question his recruiting when you look at the guys we have offered, gotten, and lost to other programs.
Maybe we look back on 2020 as a lost year anyway, but if the season does get cancelled, he won’t even have the chance to show he’s a decent game day coach and prep guy.

These “fact” arguments are insipid: from 1982 to 1992, McCartney only won ONE bowl game, so I guess he pretty much sucked as a CU coach.

UCLA has never been a football power, just every 10 years or so, they field a good team or two (aside from the Mora era when he was fired after 8 wins). KD did exactly that. People don’t like KD as a choice for head coach. Fine. It’s nothing more than an opinion. Trying to make it seem empirical is just self-serving.

It also seems odd for people to attack KD for perceived recruiting deficiencies when he has yet to be able to hold even one practice, have even one in-person recruiting weekend, after having been hired extremely late in the cycle with no connections to any of the recruits, following the complete national disaster of big-buck-Tuck chasing his financial dreams out of town.

Maybe take a Xanax or open a window or something.
I think a lot of the recruiting issues that people had with Dorrell came up with Millen. He was said to be close to committing after visiting Colorado (which was good intel) and then the week later he committed to Arizona. He obviously had a longer relationship with the Arizona staff and their QB coach, however; he was wanting to commit to CU, so something happened in that week. That tells me CU got flat out recruited by a lame duck coach. All we can do is hope and wait to see how Dorrell does, but saying he was dealt a ****ty hand is an excuse that will not win CU games.

I think most people are just tired of the same excuses from coach to coach to coach. Most felt we were finally digging out of that hole and the coach ends up leaving in the middle of the night. I'm willing to give Dorrell time but this program can not afford having empty recruiting classes if we want them to take a step forward.

Sorry, probably need to move this

Seriously. With Lytle going, Sumlin going. Millen should be coming.
200.gif

Absolutely atrocious mechanics.

Back