What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 CO OT Jake Maikkula (Signed to Stanford)

Why purposefully waste 2-3 scholarships each year?
This might be true if we were routinely pulling in Top 25 classes, but since we aren’t, the Top 5 are more than solid contributions and better than the alternatives.

(unfortunately)
And at worst there are 7-8 players in Colorado every year who are solid potential P5 contributors.

Does this mean that they will all turn out that way or that they would if they went to CU? No but if you look at our classes and the classes of most schools about half of the recruits never contribute substantially even at schools that have higher rated recruiting classes.

What really hurts is that out of the top 3-5 players each year we are getting close to zero of those, the guys who have a much higher probability of contributing.

4 to 5 a year seems high.

But not even being in Maikkula's top three is rough. CU was his first offer and has basically been recruiting him as hard as anyone and he just happens to play a major need position. Those misses hurt.
I agree that in some years 4 or 5 is a high number. We would be much better if we were getting 2 of the top 3-5 each year. The lack of real depth in the state means that when you are looking at player 5-10 the drop off is pretty significant.

Doesn't mean these guys can't be good players but the odds go down dramatically. Although really if you look at the top kids from Colorado who have gone out of state the success rate hasn't been great.

Stanford and Duke, I understand academics are important, where his degree comes from is important. That's admirable.
But Missouri? CU has strong enough academics. It's no secret, this is tied to a poor recruiting strategy at CU. I think one has to look at position coaches as well. Does M. Rodrigue have a history of developing players for a path into the NFL. The only position coach to have a player drafted in the top 5 rounds is Chev (Laviska) correct? So maybe it's a lack of recruiting and too many question marks about staff, for the upper echelon players who have a choice to go to other P5 programs.
And with all that said, adding Finkley and Madden (and I would like to see T. Gray commit as well) would position this as the second best class in over a decade.

No way to paint this other than a total failure. You can’t let guys like this slip away. Just can’t. Not if you want any kind of sustained success.
This one hurts.
Ricky Bobby GIF by memecandy

A lot of P5 programs are relatively unstable, but I think that the home program (in any state) always looks more unstable to home state recruits than remote programs look. A variation on the grass being greener concept. Just trying to figure how Missouri makes the 3 over CU…

IMO it’s key to get at least one 4 star HS OL kid and one 4 star portal OL guy every year. At an absolute minimum. Regardless of their origin(s).

The thing is for the guys we're losing out of state we're not even communicating with them let alone offering them. Hearing some very bad things about our efforts in state.

Stanford and Duke, I understand academics are important, where his degree comes from is important. That's admirable.
But Missouri? CU has strong enough academics. It's no secret, this is tied to a poor recruiting strategy at CU. I think one has to look at position coaches as well. Does M. Rodrigue have a history of developing players for a path into the NFL. The only position coach to have a player drafted in the top 5 rounds is Chev (Laviska) correct? So maybe it's a lack of recruiting and too many question marks about staff, for the upper echelon players who have a choice to go to other P5 programs.
And with all that said, adding Finkley and Madden (and I would like to see T. Gray commit as well) would position this as the second best class in over a decade.

Search Results​

Featured snippet from the web​

Several of his (Mitch Rodrigue) players matriculated into the NFL, including Chris Clark (Houston, the most recent of six teams), Jeremy Parquet (Pittsburgh), Ryan McKee (Kansas City), Chris White (Seattle) and Daniel Quave (Dallas).

Back