What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 CO RB Gavin Sawchuk (Signed to Oklahoma)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

D10zpKrU8AAohSx

Valor Christian HS (Littleton, CO)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/G28football
Instagram:

Ht: 5'11"
Wt: 175
40:

247s rating: 4* - 94 grade; #3 RB (#41 overall)
ESPN rating: 4* - 88 grade; #2 RB (#14 overall)
Rivals rating: 4* - 5.9rr; #3 RB

247sports Composite: 5* / 0.9876 rating / #2 RB / #24 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Alabama, Arizona State, Cal, CSU, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Miss State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Stanford, TCU, USC, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin

Last edited:
Seems like we have gotten a few kids from Valor the last couple years. I hope that trend continues.

Here's a crazy idea...offer this ****ing kid! We haven't had a lot of luck pulling Valor kids in the past, but we have two and a half years to build a relationship with this kid. Lets go.

Here's a crazy idea...offer this ****ing kid! We haven't had a lot of luck pulling Valor kids in the past, but we have two and a half years to build a relationship with this kid. Lets go.
Agreed. Should have been one of the first 2-3 offers given after signing day. The kid was/is about 10x better than Josiah Davis. There's a reason why Davis had his carries diminished last season and it wasn't injuries.

Unless this kid has already reached his physical peak, he’s going to be an absolute stud over the next three years. McCaffrey type of impact player for Valor and wouldn’t be surprised to see his recruiting be on par with Christians.

Agreed. Should have been one of the first 2-3 offers given after signing day. The kid was/is about 10x better than Josiah Davis. There's a reason why Davis had his carries diminished last season and it wasn't injuries.
I'd pump the breaks there. Sawchuk has elite speed, and generally, he can use that to beat guys at the HS level. He's not gonna be able to break runs off to the outside when holes aren't there in college. If he plays college ball and not track.

If he progresses quickly in track, he will have a tough decision to make in a couple years.

Can he not go the Isiah Oliver route and do both?
I suspect he can. But when you do that, you’re a football player first, and a track guy second. If he decides he is a track guy, football doesn’t fit into that plan.

Having a pretty good track program here may be an advantage for us, though. Any little thing that helps, right?

I'd pump the breaks there. Sawchuk has elite speed, and generally, he can use that to beat guys at the HS level. He's not gonna be able to break runs off to the outside when holes aren't there in college. If he plays college ball and not track.
Not tracking here.
He has elite speed. He's only a freshman. He's only going to get bigger and faster. Why wouldn't he be able to break off runs to the outside in college? It's almost like you're saying he's not going to grow and progress, but everyone else he's likely to face will. The kid was as good a back as a freshman as the the kid we just signed from the same school. I stand firm that he should've been top 3 on speed dial the day after signing day.

Not tracking here.
He has elite speed. He's only a freshman. He's only going to get bigger and faster. Why wouldn't he be able to break off runs to the outside in college? It's almost like you're saying he's not going to grow and progress, but everyone else he's likely to face will. The kid was as good a back as a freshman as the the kid we just signed from the same school. I stand firm that he should've been top 3 on speed dial the day after signing day.
It doesn't matter how fast you are in college, if you try to take everything outside, outside of the plays design, you're going to lose more yards than you gain. I reserve all judgement on Sawchuk's potential until I see him cut in the hole and in space.

It doesn't matter how fast you are in college, if you try to take everything outside, outside of the plays design, you're going to lose more yards than you gain. I reserve all judgement on Sawchuk's potential until I see him cut in the hole and in space.
So you WOULDN'T offer him now?

He's also doing that as a 14 year old, freshman in high school, against mostly juniors and seniors in the 5A classification. IF he continues to progress as a player and develop physically, there's no reason to think he won't be a blue chip, national RB recruit in 2021.

From what I've heard, I don't think your concern is much of a concern. I had a conversation with one of his coaches (a former Buff), and he told me that the most impressive thing about this kid is how hard and fearless the kid runs for being a 160 lb freshman. He'll physically mature and be able to handle the inside runs as he gets older. This kid is special and has everything you want in a RB from everything I have been told.

Yeah, just look at this other player who breaks everything to the outside in his HS highlights:

You don't have to be contrary just to have a take. Sawchuck is one of the best prep RB recruits out of CO in years. There's a reason he has the offer list that he does as a '22 recruit.

Back