What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 MA PG Avery Brown (Verbal to Columbia)

WasianCU

Club Member
Club Member
247sports
ESPN
Rivals
hudl

9623172.jpg

Northfield Mount Hermon (Gill, MA)

AAU:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_averybrown3
Instagram:

Ht: 6'4"
Wt: 180

247s rating: 4* - 91 grade; #15 PG (#97 overall)
ESPN rating:
Rivals rating: 3*; #32 PG (#130 overall)

247sports Composite: 3* / 0.9345 rating / #15 PG / #118 overall

Reported Offers: COLORADO, Arizona State, Brown, Columbia, Fairfield, Holy Cross, Howard, Indiana, Kansas State, UMass, Missouri, Nebraska, Old Dominion, Penn State, Penn, Saint Louis, Siena, South Dakota, St Johns, Towson, Virginia Tech, Yale

Really like this kid. Great handle. Loves to drive the lane, and can create shots or drop dimes in equal measure.

(Did I sound like I know what I am talking about?)

Seriously, though - great video.

FSU exposed need for size from CU PG, but LUV Avery Brown w/ so much more!

Reminds me of McKinley with a lot of what he can do, but may be the best passer in class. Had 17 assists in 1 game last year.

Showed out well at Peach Jam, including good scoring games. But LUV that he embraces D-first & team-first mentality.

Also seems to have the super-high IQ and character Tad demands from point guard he gives the keys to O to. Seen mostly as Ivy League player, at first.

Norte Dame may be 1 of biggest threats for him, as high-level of ACC & high-academics. But cupboard bare of players, so would have to be OK w/ not winning.

Illinois other threat, as they’ve been so red-hot. But w/ 4-stars Curbelo & Epps at point, don’t see the playing time there.

Nebraska just got commitment from Rammel Lloyd, who’s gone out of his way to make sure everyone that recruited him knows he wants to play point. But Brown seemed to really like the visit there.

Brown also expressed interest in Arizona State. As much as I luved Hurley as a player- & I usually want every recruit who doesn’t come to CU to stay in PAC-12, to improve conference strength- I feel like Hurley is horrible w/roster management. Guys leave left & right, especially bigs- when they realize they’re only there for D & Rbding. Hurley doesn’t develop players, especially wings & bigs. Yes, uptempo guard-play is fun-but new transfer rule may just result in yearly ASU roster turn-over.

But Avery Brown seems like type of elite leader and floor general that will carve out a spot where-ever he goes. Hope it’s CU!

**Mod edit - Try this link**

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I spent decades hating Nebraska as much as the next CU guy, but this Nebraska auto-correct is just silly when we can’t even link an article to this site!

Avery Brown is Isaiah Thomas fan?! I officially LOVE Avery Brown! Zeke was the Chris Paul of my generation, but quicker, tougher & better D. Once watched him come from 8 down in 20 seconds: hit 3; stole ball & passed to Dumars for 3; stole ball again & hit lay-up as time expired! Best 20 seconds of basketball I ever saw!

Second article above lists Georgia & Norte Dame getting Fall visits from Brown. They both have huge classes to fill in 2022, so I might get worried if they start signing elite talent that Avery wants to play with. Even if Bagley goes pro, ASU at 13 scholarships. Seems like it could come down to two-horse race w/ Nebraska and us?

Second article above lists Georgia & Norte Dame getting Fall visits from Brown. They both have huge classes to fill in 2022, so I might get worried if they start signing elite talent that Avery wants to play with. Even if Bagley goes pro, ASU at 13 scholarships. Seems like it could come down to two-horse race w/ ****braska and us?
Pulling Avery after Key & KJ would be hard to tolerate. @Goose isn't allowed to be that happy. 😂

Second article above lists Georgia & Norte Dame getting Fall visits from Brown. They both have huge classes to fill in 2022, so I might get worried if they start signing elite talent that Avery wants to play with. Even if Bagley goes pro, ASU at 13 scholarships. Seems like it could come down to two-horse race w/ ****braska and us?
You don't have anything to worry about in terms of ND. They haven't offered Brown a scholarship and are apparently all in on top 40 guard, JJ Starling. I'm an ND fan and saw this thread and just wanted to let you know. It's disappointing. Brown's head coach coached a current ND player and stated that Brown would be a great fit at ND. Hope you get him. He looks to be a true lead guard.

Tough loss to un-defeated Putnam Science in National Prep Championship, but finished 2nd best Prep team in US! Avery had amazing season. I've never been as excited for a CU recruit. Showed he could average an efficient-shooting 30+ when team-mates went down. Driving it into point at will, stellar D, with continued elite leadership & passing! Proved he is a 4 star w/ a pro future. Hope he chooses CU in next month or two, so he can be here for a perfectly beautiful June in Colorado!

We could use more length at guard.
Our current 3 guard rotation has 3 small guards and nobody with the length Tad prefers. This kid would make one expendable asap.

Is there a scholarship available? And, assuming no attrition, CU will have guards on the roster next season:
jr - Kee Barththelomy (6-2)
so. - KJ Simpson (6-2)
so. - Julius Hammond III (6-3)
R fr. - Javon Ruffin (6-5)
fr. - RJ Smith (6-4)

This list doesn't include Nique Clifford who has been starting in the back court since Parquet went out with an injury.

With the five above, it seems there could be some serious battles for playing time. So is it likely that CU is still recruiting Brown?

Javon Ruffin is 6’5” and RJ Smith is 6’4”.
But neither are considered de facto major contributors at this point, like this kid Brown.. If they do see major time, we have 1 too many small guards. Hammond has come a long way but that would be too many small guards.

But neither are considered de facto major contributors at this point, like this kid Brown.. If they do see major time, we have 1 too many small guards. Hammond has come a long way but that would be too many small guards.
I'd rather have 10 small guards that can handle the ball than 10 combo guards who maybe defend and rebound a little better, but don't handle it as well. I think you overestimate the problems related to small guards. This isn't the NBA, there aren't a bunch of guys who can back you down on the post and get buckets at will.

I'd rather have 10 small guards that can handle the ball than 10 combo guards who maybe defend and rebound a little better, but don't handle it as well. I think you overestimate the problems related to small guards. This isn't the NBA, there aren't a bunch of guys who can back you down on the post and get buckets at will.
Baylor's starting backcourt that took the nation by storm last year. Davion Mitchell 6', Jared Butler 6'2, and MaCio Teague 6'3.

Back