What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TX QB Owen McCown (SIGNED to COLORADO)

My kid can make that throw on the street in front of our house! He’s got a rocket arm. My neighbors don’t have any 6’ 5”, 290 lb kids to chase him though.

Not necessarily a hard throw TBH. Makes it a bit more difficult since he's a lefty and going against body with the half roll to the right. 🤷‍♂️
Napoleon Dynamite GIF

Looks like we missed this DP article from December. I found it interesting that his Dad said that they really didn't ramp up focusing on playing QB until he was entering high school, which explains a lot to me. You'd think a kid of an NFL QB would have been working with the Jordan Palmers since they were 8 y.o. but I'm not a fan of that. Keep the kid from taking on bad habits but otherwise, don't put the kid into that sort of pressure/expectations thing until you see how he's coming along and also that he wants that as a kid.

Any way, I'm very high on McCown but if he's not winning a job in the fall without being here the spring before.

He looks like a good prospect. B Lewis, JT, Carter and Kopp will compete for the starting spot. Owen should have a mandatory redshirt year to learn the playbook, work on getting adjusted to life away from home and gettting stronger. It can then be a fair comptetion next year.

Based off of tape, media coverage, and lineage it feels pretty safe at assume Owen can come in and compete for the 3rd spot immediately. Considering how uninspired QB play was last year and the fact that JT is coming off an injury, I wouldn't be surprised if Owen was pushing for some playing time. "mandatory RS year' feels strange coming from someone who values "if a kid can play" over recruiting rankings.

I am encouraged by CU's approach to filling the QB room and believe Carter will probably be the odd man out by the fall.

I am encouraged by CU's approach to filling the QB room and believe Carter will probably be the odd man out by the fall.
I feel better for Carter knowing that he got his RS year back through petition to the NCAA. Maybe the staff knew he could get that year back, so they didn't worry about "playing" him in more than four games. Maybe.

I love McCown, admittedly biased because lefties are the superior type of human, I just really think he will turn out to be an nfl guy.

I’m not a QB guru or anything but i think he has such an advantage with his dad and that throwing motion looks nice. This is me placing a proverbial bet that he’s going to pan out

I love McCown, admittedly biased because lefties are the superior type of human, I just really think he will turn out to be an nfl guy.

I’m not a QB guru or anything but i think he has such an advantage with his dad and that throwing motion looks nice. This is me placing a proverbial bet that he’s going to pan out
Not sure I agree with the NFL call, but I'm a guy who believes 100000000% in mechanics. For example, go back and look at Mahomes when he was younger. He can do the stuff he does because at the end of the day he has very solid base fundamentals. Mix in great athleticism and a dash of a "Superman Complex" and you have the makings of very good QB at any level. McCown looks soild AF on film.
Plus, I'm a sucker for QBs coached by their dads. ;)

Not sure I agree with the NFL call, but I'm a guy who believes 100000000% in mechanics. For example, go back and look at Mahomes when he was younger. He can do the stuff he does because at the end of the day he has very solid base fundamentals. Mix in great athleticism and a dash of a "Superman Complex" and you have the makings of very good QB at any level. McCown looks soild AF on film.
Plus, I'm a sucker for QBs coached by their dads. ;)
His dad was a guy who while never a great QB had a solid NFL career because of his grasp of the mental part of the game. You don't get 19 years in pro football as primarily a backup if you don't have it between the ears.

As fans we tend to look at the physical mechanics of QBs, does he make a quick drop and get into position to make a throw, does he have the arm for a variety of throws, does he have solid mechanics and do his throws reflect that (quick, accurate, catchable.)

Once in the NFL though I would argue that mental mechanics are just as important. Does he quickly get his team lined up correctly, does he make the pre-snap reads, does he read what is happening in the first one to two steps after the snap, does he make the right decisions with the ball and act on them quickly before the defense closes on his options?

These were the things his dad was good enough at to have an extended career and that his dad has worked with him on. They are also the things that the earlier a guy gets started on the easier they are to get.

There are obviously reasons that the "big name" programs didn't make him a priority so no guarantees but I agree with you on this one, it looks like we got one that a lot of other schools are going to wish they had gone after in the recruiting process.

Bump
Looks like we missed this DP article from December. I found it interesting that his Dad said that they really didn't ramp up focusing on playing QB until he was entering high school, which explains a lot to me. You'd think a kid of an NFL QB would have been working with the Jordan Palmers since they were 8 y.o. but I'm not a fan of that. Keep the kid from taking on bad habits but otherwise, don't put the kid into that sort of pressure/expectations thing until you see how he's coming along and also that he wants that as a kid.

Any way, I'm very high on McCown but if he's not winning a job in the fall without being here the spring before.
Talked to a Dad who was at scrimmage (and lots of practices). McCown will RS but is the QB of the future here.

Yeah Adam has brought him up after both scrimmages now. It would be such a relief to hit on a quarterback after such a long stretch of bleh

Back