What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 TNFR C Eddie Lampkin Jr. (Committed to COLORADO)

Huh? Who are the multiple P5 transfers Tad has signed? Namon Wright from Missouri and Josh Fortune from Providence. In what, 12 years? (Carlon Brown came from Utah but they were MWC at the time.)
Forgot that Utah was MWC, I think that's the list.

Does that not count as multiple?

Why are we still delineating about Power 5 in basketball? That's just really a football think I thought?
Yes, there's lots of great players in non P5 conferences (witness FAU and SDSU in the Final Four.) The point is ... Tad doesn't have a great track record with true impact transfers, especially from solid basketball schools. He got insanely lucky with D White. Somehow everybody missed on him. Beyond him, the list has been pretty underwhelming, especially in the last 6-7 years. Even from a perception standpoint, signing a player that was good enough to play for a Big 12 or SEC or ACC or Big East school immediately generates interest from the casual fan.

It's a Power 6 for basketball. Big East is included. I hope no CU fans are posting on this board or anywhere else thinking that the conference with Nova, UConn et al is a mid major.

Point being is that "Power Five" is a term that relates almost exclusively to college football. Even Wiki recognizes this:

The Power Five conferences are the five most prominent and highest-earning athletic conferences in college football in the United States.

The term is also occasionally used in other college sports, although in many non-football sports, most notably basketball, anywhere from six to ten conferences may be considered "high-major"–the Big East Conference, Atlantic 10 Conference, American Athletic Conference (AAC), Mountain West Conference, and West Coast Conference, in addition to the Power Five football conferences.

It's a Power 6 for basketball. Big East is included. I hope no CU fans are posting on this board or anywhere else thinking that the conference with Nova, UConn et al is a mid major.
I differentiate between P5 schools and P6 programs. P6 is good for identifying the power programs in basketball. P5 identifies power and money in athletics in general.

Point being is that "Power Five" is a term that relates almost exclusively to college football. Even Wiki recognizes this:
Football and basketball are two very different sports in terms of having teams that can compete for championships.

If you want to compete in football you have to have quality players at 22 positions plus enough depth to make it through games and seasons. If you have a bunch of average guys and add a couple of star level you can win a G5 conference but that isn't going to get you playoff wins.

In basketball it is completely different. If you can build a roster (and it doesn't have to be that deep) of complimentary players and add a couple of star level players championships are a realistic target. As a result we get teams from smaller conferences that rise up and give us great stories like FAU, Gonzaga, etc.

Build a solid program, hit on a couple stars, and you can go deep in the tourney.

“We’ve got things in the works for sure, but we’re going to be very picky. We’re going to be deliberate,” Boyle said. “We want to find a perimeter guy that can score the ball and shoot the ball. We lost a big wing in Nique Clifford. We lost a big wing in Quincy Allen. Our biggest downfall offensively this year was our ability to shoot the ball and put the ball in the basket. I would like to address that and get a guy who’s proven he can do that.

“We’ve got a couple guys on the radar. If they don’t work out, we’ll move to the next step. We’ll be slow and deliberate. But if the right guy comes, we’ll grab him.”

Given he was a stockbroker, I think Tad was a little too anxious to
'buy' and could have waited a week or 2. Watched the market.

He seems like a good, solid player.

He'll be fine. I like his mentality more than anything. Not afraid to get on the floor for loose balls, gritty around the basket, this team needs that kind of attitude. Don't hope it falls to you, go ****ing get it. (y)

Yeah, should have waited because those 6'11" bangers with proven experience are a dime a dozen.
I said "he's a good, solid player" and noted on another thread, "a tough guy". He's a 3-star, and it's nice to have him. There are others more highly rated out there right now, and they and some coaches are taking their time sorting things out.

I imagine salesmen like to see you coming in.

Fans look for ratings. Coaches look for fit.
Lampkin will be a 10/7 guy next year who will take the pressure off our scorers and will be a good teammate (won't pout, give half a$$ed effort, be a distraction).

If he's not all of this at the end of the year you can come find me.

Lampkin will be a 10/7 guy next year who will take the pressure off our scorers and will be a good teammate (won't pout, give half a$$ed effort, be a distraction).

If he's not all of this at the end of the year you can come find me.
Ehhh....8 and 7 guy. Still though...will operate in the offense much better than the stiff that is Lawson Lovering.

I said "he's a good, solid player" and noted on another thread, "a tough guy". He's a 3-star, and it's nice to have him. There are others more highly rated out there right now, and they and some coaches are taking their time sorting things out.

I imagine salesmen like to see you coming in.
We weren't gonna make up the near half a million $ difference it would have taken to get Ike.

Yes, there's lots of great players in non P5 conferences (witness FAU and SDSU in the Final Four.) The point is ... Tad doesn't have a great track record with true impact transfers, especially from solid basketball schools. He got insanely lucky with D White. Somehow everybody missed on him. Beyond him, the list has been pretty underwhelming, especially in the last 6-7 years. Even from a perception standpoint, signing a player that was good enough to play for a Big 12 or SEC or ACC or Big East school immediately generates interest from the casual fan.
Jeriah Horne comes to mind.

There's also just not a ton of transfers in until the past few years.

Back