What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

247Sports Ranks Every Power 5 Job

Virginia is better than #49.

Indiana looks high even at #57.
Yeah Maryland and Virginia seem low to me. I can somewhat understand Maryland since they have Michigan, Ohio state and penn state in their division but still.

Maryland, with its home recruiting grounds and UA flagship sponsorship, would be much better than #46 if it wasn't in the B1G East having to get through Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State to have a chance at playing for a conference title. Brutal division.

Since ascendancy is imminent, how many days will we have to wait until CSU comes up on this list?

Virginia is better than #49.

Indiana looks high even at #57.

Yeah Maryland and Virginia seem low to me. I can somewhat understand Maryland since they have Michigan, Ohio state and penn state in their division but still.
historically empty stadium
too much BDM influence on AD (e.g. historically not willing to move game times to prime time for TV coverage)
stuck with the label of being a "basketball school"
head coach career graveyard longer than any real HC candidates have been alive: London, Groh, Nosepicker, Bestwick, Randle -- London is the only name that didn't end their HC careers at UVA, and that dude seriously damaged his future.
and, their fans

half the B1G in the bottom 10% of coaching jobs. based on AD revenue alone, that seems wrong.

Always wonder why Illinois struggles to gain traction. Seems like they should be better.

historically empty stadium
too much BDM influence on AD (e.g. historically not willing to move game times to prime time for TV coverage)
stuck with the label of being a "basketball school"
head coach career graveyard longer than any real HC candidates have been alive: London, Groh, Nosepicker, Bestwick, Randle -- London is the only name that didn't end their HC careers at UVA, and that dude seriously damaged his future.
and, their fans
Yeah I am talking about the fact that it is an amazing school, in a good location, has tons of talent locally, great financial resources and is in a good conference/spot to be competitive. (Virginia BTW)

what's the group of the Top 5? I have Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Michigan

my 6 - 10 are: Notre Dame, Florida State, Oregon, Georgia, Clemson

Given the Baylor scandal, I'm surprised they're not in the bottom 20.

And honestly, being the HC at Vandy would not be a bad deal. expectations are rather low and you're making SEC money.

Yeah I am talking about the fact that it is an amazing school, in a good location, has tons of talent locally, great financial resources and is in a good conference/spot to be competitive. (Virginia BTW)
sure, you can piece together arguments on both sides. the issue is that 247 wasn't very clear on their criteria.

also, the hot spot of recruiting in the state of Virginia is the Tidewater area (VA Beach, Hampton, Norfolk), and that recently got a LOT harder with ODU moving up to FBS.

I would go:
1: USC/Texas
3: Ohio State
4: Alabama
5: Michigan
6: Florida/FSU
8: Georgia
9: LSU
10: Clemson

I'd put the top five as Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas and USC in no particular order.
Close behind would be Florida, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida State, Clemson.

Left ND out due to lack of conference affiliation and iffy institutional support. Their admin acts as though it's 1960.

Realistically, I think CU falls somewhere in the mid to high 30's. Our issues include institutional support, fan base, local recruiting opportunities, and small stadium. Positives include location, climate, quality of education, conference affiliation, and facilities.
The nice thing is that all the negatives can be turned into positives with a few changes. Lots of people moving into the front range will eventually mean a deeper pool to recruit from.

Always wonder why Illinois struggles to gain traction. Seems like they should be better.

Always were listed on "sleeping giants" lists, but that state gets absolutely raided in recruiting by Notre Dame and the B1G elites. But they should be the best positioned program in the B1G West.

WVU and Missou too low. and why has ASU not showed up yet?

and still no Baylor?!?!?!?!

and no Okie Lite yet?

IMO, they nailed it on Kentucky, Utah, Arizona and the 3 ACC schools in this grouping.

Think Lovie gets the Illini going, but they were in a dark place. They haven't had a coach with an overall winning record since the early 90s. If they could recruit Chicago they'd be a powerhouse.

Shouldn't the list simply be inversely proportional to the salary?
at a minimum you'd have to normalize for cost of living, but still, no, not really. job security, admin support, fan support, access to hot recruiting territories all matter a lot

Lower than I expected, but that just tells me that the national media views CU as a flash in the pan last year. A few more years of 8+ wins and that ranking is improved by 10-15 places.

Back