What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

26 Big 12 Basketball Tournaments/ Football Championship Games. Zero in Denver.

JRK1212

Troll
Thats such bullsh*t. Every other major city in the big 12 footprint was used as a host
multiple times. Denver's facilities have been top notch since 2000, and for football you
cant make the argument against weather when KC has gotten the game several times.

- Kansas city has hosted 9 basketball tournaments and 5 football championship games.

- Dallas has hosted 3 tournaments and 3 championship games

- Oklahoma City 2 tournaments

- San Antonio 3 championship games

- Houston 2 championship games

- St. Louis 2 championship games.

St. Louis over Denver is a total joke. STL is barely a B12 city. Denver could've a great location for championships had those Texan a-holes made any effort...

I've always thought it BS that they played the Big 12 b-ball tournament in KC so much and let KU play so close to home. They finally moved it out to Dallas and OKC a few times but KC still got too many of them.

I've always thought it BS that they played the Big 12 b-ball tournament in KC so much and let KU play so close to home. They finally moved it out to Dallas and OKC a few times but KC still got too many of them.

you and Billy Tubbs. he was adamant that playing in KC gave KU, KSU, and MU too much home court. Big 8 tournament was always in KC at Kemper.

i always thought a basketball tourney in Denver would work. flatlanders could ski in jeans and see their teams play.

It's funny because with football I preferred KC over Texas, but in basketball, KC was just too much of an advantage for KU.

you and Billy Tubbs. he was adamant that playing in KC gave KU, KSU, and MU too much home court. Big 8 tournament was always in KC at Kemper.

i always thought a basketball tourney in Denver would work. flatlanders could ski in jeans and see their teams play.

I have no doubt it would work in Denver. Colorado might not be a college basketball hotbed but Denver has always shown they'll come out for the big events, just look at all the NCAA sub-regionals and regionals they've hosted over the years and they never had any trouble selling those out. There was some talk about putting the Big 12 tourney in Denver a while back but I think what killed that idea is that the MWC tournament failed in Denver. What they didn't seem to realize is that comparing the MWC tournament to the Big 12 tournament is an invalid comparison.

any word on where the PAC:12 b-ball tourney is going to be? Vegas would be sweet.

One big problem is the host city (no the school) has to make the play for the Tournaments. The commission for Invesco field put in a proposal once for the Big 12 championship game but is was a last minute submission. (IMO, Denver made a big Mistake not going with a covered stadium - takes away those weather excuses.) I don't know if the Altitude sports people ever considered bidding on the Big 12 BB tournament but they had the MWC tourney and it was poorly supported.

How many times do you think Denver/CU will get to host Pac-12 events?

Not very often (if at all) would be my guess.

Bingo.

I'm not nearly as distrought over the lack of tournaments/championships held in Denver. We did get the track and field championships in Boulder a couple years ago.

We haven't had a Super Bowl either. The Big12 Basketball Touney is really the only one we have a legit beef about, but that has only been available for a few years now (since it moved from KC). I think we'll get a Pac 12 Tourney someday, assuming that it rotates.

And, if the Pac 12 Football Championship game goes to the highest ranked team's home field, we will get one! FACT!

Back