What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2nd week in a row Greg Brown laughing it up while we get our ass kicked

Fair enough but until media start hammering the defensive coordinator or speculating about his ouster I don't think the ones negative on Brown should stop talking about it.

The media won't do it, cu is getting a mulligan due to injuries, first year and talent.

The excuses lasted with hawk for 4 years, the excuses end after the utah game this year.

Laughing because you're frustrated and because if you don't laugh you might explode /= being happy.

No, seriously Syko and Jimmy, we get it. You hate Greg Brown. You know who else didn't have a stellar day today? EB. I'm not calling him on the carpet because this year is a mulligan, but if Greg Brown was a CU legend, he'd get cut a lot more slack.

No, seriously Syko and Jimmy, we get it. You hate Greg Brown. You know who else didn't have a stellar day today? EB. I'm not calling him on the carpet because this year is a mulligan, but if Greg Brown was a CU legend, he'd get cut a lot more slack.

EB wasn't on the staff for four out of the last 5 years. Brown was.

Hate? No, I just think he blows. You disagree, that's cool. Maybe he'll recruit some BCS type db's. Maybe he'll coach up the db's returning next season. Maybe his front 7 won't be out of position and tackle better. Maybe....

He deserves another year, but I have zero faith in him leading this defense. We'll see....

Btw, greg brown is going to be a CU legend, his defense is about to be the worst of all-time for points given up in a single season. Sounds "legendary' to me.

EB wasn't on the staff for four out of the last 5 years. Brown was.

Yea he was on a staff that was hamstrung with a losing stuation. We have not recruited legit DL for that entir time. We have lined up with a patchwork defense for all but a maybe the first two games. Jimmy face it, Brown is not going anywhere no matter how much you post it on this board. I am not defending Brown but if he is not getting it done, neither are the other coaches. The OL was supposed to be a strength and look at the crapy play all year. They cannot block and have committed enough falt starts for two seasons of games.

This team is just not good and they do have a staff that is inexperienced in all of the top spots. They are making mistakes and time will tell if they can get it done. Either way, we are not going to see major changes at the end of this year. W see the same issues next year and no improvement, changes will happen.

How can u say that with this makeshift defense? Especially putting a RB like dd and a WR in Espinosa and a slow cb in sandersfield on Robert woods and not expect to get burned. It's all we have right now. Once he has his kids in their and he fails then bring this up. No one on this staff should get the boot yet. Not even close and if there is a coach it should be brookhart

I got the feeling that his laugh was just the futility and frustration. When things get extra stupid here in Afghanistan, I tend to laugh at it. It doesn't mean I'm happy.

Yep. It's a cluster****. He knows it and the best thing he can do at this point is keep spirits up. Our players aren't capable (due to youth or talent) to do what he needs to be a good defense.

Yep. It's a cluster****. He knows it and the best thing he can do at this point is keep spirits up. Our players aren't capable (due to youth or talent) to do what he needs to be a good defense.

I watched the game, but I wasn't in chat nor did I read the game thread, but I'm sure it was discussed: Sanderfeld (sp?) looked really, really slow against the USC receivers.

What about the front 7?

You and jimmy need to chill the **** out. Not only are our DB's out, but also our top LB who is the heart and soul of the D. ALso one of our top DE's in Hartigan has been out. I don't like Greg Browns coaching either, but you are a fool if you can't admit it's not just coaching.

I watched the game, but I wasn't in chat nor did I read the game thread, but I'm sure it was discussed: Sanderfeld (sp?) looked really, really slow against the USC receivers.

PAINFULLY slow. He couldnt cover anyone, they just ran past him!

You and jimmy need to chill the **** out. Not only are our DB's out, but also our top LB who is the heart and soul of the D. ALso one of our top DE's in Hartigan has been out. I don't like Greg Browns coaching either, but you are a fool if you can't admit it's not just coaching.

Hartigan missed 1 game. You want to excuse the db's fine, the front 7 no way. I'll chill the **** out when cu stops getting their asses handed to them every game. The funniest responses are those who complain about the DL not being talented, yep the same people who say our DL recruiting is fine.:rolling_eyes:

Front 7 has been really disappointing. Rippy was basically the only bright spot. I thought Uzo Diribe looked good earlier in the season, but he hasn't done much lately. I also expected a lot more from Obi. If/when we improve dramatically on both D-line and O-line we'll be a much better team. I'm less worried about skill positions. Don't get me wrong, I think we need to improve across the board, but solid guys in the trenches will go a long way.

How can u say that with this makeshift defense? Especially putting a RB like dd and a WR in Espinosa and a slow cb in sandersfield on Robert woods and not expect to get burned. It's all we have right now. Once he has his kids in their and he fails then bring this up. No one on this staff should get the boot yet. Not even close and if there is a coach it should be brookhart

Excuses why not play Jonathan Hawkins or Moten. Hawkins a 5th year senior that saw time last year. I have being wondering about that, is he being punished for something that we are not aware about. Moten and Hawkins have practiced at DB during spring ball and fall camp. Why by pass them and go with a makeshift squad. If a DB like Sandersfeld is getting beat by 5 yards, why still play alot of man coverage. Why not give someone else a chance. Hawkins or Moten didn't even get into the game.

EB called a descent game. The problem is that Hansen is an average QB and choked when it mattered. Clemons was the only reciever weapon he had to work with. Richardson wasn't 100 percent healthy. Logan Gray has being a disapointment. Canty is still a speed guy only. Mccolough lacks the experience. Cefalo is not playing because of injury. We don't have a big back that can be a weapon in the redzone. If we make those 2 blocked FG, CU would have scored 23 points with a depleted squad on offense. Hansen play is the main reason why the team is struggling in the redzone. He is not a elite QB, not a Pac 12 calibre type QB. A conference that has the likes of Luck, Bennet, Barkley, Osweiler and etc, Hansen has being found wanting. Hopefully Connor Wood, Nick Hirschman and Shane Dillion will bring improved QB play, and we can finally have more weapons on offense.

Buffsyko, we suck. Get over it. Stop drinking the Koolaid.

We spent the last half decade plus stocking the program with poor coaches and hamstrung them with political and academic limitations. There is no overnight turnaround in the offering. Some times you have to hit rock bottom before you see the light. We played one of our better games last night. But it's going to be a long long time before we're dominant again. CU will not attract (or grant entrance) the caliber of stock found at OU, LSU, et al. My guess is that next year will be better. But not by much.

It isn't Brown's fault....

It is Wayne Embree's fault. If you can't see that, you don't understand football.

I'm not trying to blame Brown, but I'm concerned that the coaches are apparently trying to change the culture. To care about losing, yet there's that? It just doesn't seem like a great thing to be doing given our culture of losing.

There was a different culture last night and if you could not see it then you were not watching. For the first time this season this team was getting it and played with determination - the result was not what we wanted but I felt I had seen a change.

I think I want a DC who is a mean nasty SOB, who instills that same mentality in the defense.

Excuses why not play Jonathan Hawkins or Moten. Hawkins a 5th year senior that saw time last year. I have being wondering about that, is he being punished for something that we are not aware about. Moten and Hawkins have practiced at DB during spring ball and fall camp. Why by pass them and go with a makeshift squad. If a DB like Sandersfeld is getting beat by 5 yards, why still play alot of man coverage. Why not give someone else a chance. Hawkins or Moten didn't even get into the game.
Hawkins is even slower and makes terrible decisions.

with the lack of speed in this secondary, i am not sure exactly what anyone could do differently that would really matter. no experience, no depth, guys playing hurt, and not nearly enough speed. brown may or may not be a crappy coach, but i really doubt anyone could make a difference in these circumstances. did you watch the receivers run past our guys? it was like watching an adult run past a toddler in a foot race.

and another thing, i do not share the opinion that eb called a good game. his redzone calls were suspect, imho. i get that he has a philosophy about how to do it and, in the grand scheme of things, i am glad for that. that was the biggest issue with the last regime: they had no vision or identity or roadmap for what they wanted the team to be. but, you have to win some ball games and running up the gut with a tiny rb given the fact that you have not successfully run between the tackles all season seemed like futility to me. philosophy or not, they have to get points on the board.

this is truly a lost season.

as for brown, i am really ambivalent. the 2 corners from last year playing in the nfl were primarily trained by brown. and henderson has literally been the only bright spot in our secondary as a true frosh. so, brown must be doing something right. how do you judge him fairly when they are trotting out 4th stringers who have never played db to play in the secondary?

with the lack of speed in this secondary, i am not sure exactly what anyone could do differently that would really matter. no experience, no depth, guys playing hurt, and not nearly enough speed. brown may or may not be a crappy coach, but i really doubt anyone could make a difference in these circumstances. did you watch the receivers run past our guys? it was like watching an adult run past a toddler in a foot race.

You know what it actually looked like? It looked like the tapes you see of 5* guys running past their vastly over matched unranked defenders. That's what it looked like.

You know what it actually looked like? It looked like the tapes you see of 5* guys running past their vastly over matched unranked defenders. That's what it looked like.

we don't have the speed to play man. we don't have the experience to play zone. it is a ****ing nightmare.

We have people around who think this is a video game. Push some buttons and everything magically changes.

All of the coaches are working with a very short deck. Do they make mistakes, absolutely, even the best coaches in the country make mistakes. Ours are learning on a very steep curve.

I am ****ing sick of this scapegoat, losing ass mentalitiy. "Hey we just need to fire XXX and everything is going to be fine." No it won't be fine, it will be worse. To start with we won't be able to replace that person with an equally qualified person and qualified individuals aren't coming to a place that fires coaches because a bunch of intenet yahoo's call for their heads.

Yes Brown was here under Hawkins as was Cabral. Neither however made the decisions on who to recruit, who to offer, or the general tone of the team. That was all courtesy of the Clown from Boise. Nobody has ever claimed that Brown is a dynamic recruiter anyways, that isn't why he is on this staff.

Do we have the right people at each coaching position on this staff? I don't know and neither do any of you. They haven't even had one full year with the program, they are working with a bunch of kids who when healthy would be marginal athletes in the MWC and they are far from healthy. Even more so they are dealing with a team that has accepted losing.

Should a coach be laughing on the sideline when his team is getting killed, no. Would you prefer he commit hari-kari on the 50 yard line instead? There are times when if you don't laugh the only other option is to cry. Our best corner, Henderson, was having trouble staying with his man. The rest of them were more like a bad joke than college players. They lacked to physical ability to cover man for man, the knowledge to play a zone. What is he supposed to do, try to sneak 15 players on the field.

I understand losing is frustrating, getting kicked in the teeth every week is worse. That doesn't mean that responding by calling for peoples heads is a rational response. If you hate Brown fine, hate Brown. Thankfully Embree is smart enough not to listen to idiots on a message board who call for a scapegoat every time something goes bad. If the assistants can't do the job then Embree will change them but that decision needs to be made rationally, not based on some deep hatred left over from the prior administration or based some ridiculous observation that "he was yucking it up on the sideline" without knowing what the context was or what else goes on the rest of the week outside of game time.

From what I saw in the stands, what stood out to me was how painfully slow we are on D compared to a talented team like USC. I had the feeling that if USC wanted, they could have run go routes all night long.

I'm not sure Brown is really suited to be a DC (IMO, he's not - I've had that opinion from day 1), but this doesn't appear to be the season to really make a judgement on him. We've had so many injuries and against a very talented team last night we had Espy playing CB, Sandersfeld was so slow that he looked like he was in mud, Polk & Perkins out, ... just not much to work with. It can be argued that the lack of talent can go back to Brown, but I'll give him a slight pass just from being hamstrung with DII Danny. After this year though, excuses and patience dry up.

Back