What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3 out of 15

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
That would be the number of top 10 in-state OL signed by CU from 2009-2014.

(Three top 10 in-state OL for 2014 are uncommitted)

Could make an argument that the recent years have produced the best quantity of quality OL prospects in state history and CU has almost completely struck out.

We are looking at kids signing with Michigan, Auburn (coming off a recent NC,) etc. These are kids who could be significant players that we are losing.

How are there only 15 Top 10 OLs in 6 years? Top 10 nationally or Top 10 in Colorado?

Top 10 in Colorado. Usually 2-3 in a given class.

13 of the 15 signed or have committed to BCS programs.

What's a realistic ultimate goal to show us when the program has officially been turned around? 3 of the top five? 5 of the top ten? More?

Hard to compete the the Colorado wanderlust and first generation transplant families that want their kids to see life outside the state.

I think we can sign 2 quality OLs from in-state every year as the foundation of our recruiting and build a tradition of a Colorado homegrown front 5.

So, how are those other 12 doing at their respective OOS colleges? Starters? Reserves? RS's? Who did we srsly miss on?

O'Connor had a bad leg fracture at Ohio State and he's now at CSU. For guys like Kozan, Callahan, Thurston... They're still underclassmen but I'm certain any one of them would be a huge relief to see on our 2-deep right now.

-Jeremiah Sirles is a starter at LT for Nebraska.
-Dan Skiiper is in line to start at LT for Arkansas.
-Alex Kozan is in line to start at LG for Auburn.
-Terry Alletto is line to start at center for BYU (realize that is non-BCS).

-Dillon Bonnell and Brenden Austin are buried on the depth chart (really deep group though)
-Mike Moudy is buried on the depth chart at Nebraska.
-I assume Chris Fox will redshirt at Michigan in 2013.
-Paul Thurston redshirted in 2012 at Nebraska.
-Shane Callahan redshirted in 2012 at Auburn.
-Joey O'Connor redshirted in 2012 at Ohio State and then transferred to CSU.

For a team going just with seven OL at this point, I would think we could use some of the above guys.

Jeremiah Sirles is a starter at LT for Nebraska.
Dan Skiiper is in line to start at LT for Arkansas.
Alex Kozan is in line to start at LG for Auburn.
Terry Alletto is line to start at center for BYU (realize that is non-BCS).

Dillon Bonnell and Brenden Austin are buried on the depth chart (really deep group though)
Paul Thurston redshirted in 2012 at Nebraska.
Shane Callahan redshirted in 2012 at Auburn.
Joey O'Connor redshirted in 2012 at Ohio State and then transferred to CSU.

That would be the makings of a pretty damn good OL. Mike Moudy is buried on the Nebraska depth chart. Brendon Austin is the 2nd string OT at Stanford. Looks like Chris Fox will redshirt at Michigan.

So, to reiterate my point... we should focus on in-state OL as the foundation of our recruiting.

Yeah, looks like Brendan Austin is tied with Kyle Murphy (5* from CA in 2012) at RT for the Cardinal, which means he could play a decent amount this season (they regularly play 8-9 guys).

What's a realistic ultimate goal to show us when the program has officially been turned around? 3 of the top five? 5 of the top ten? More?

Hard to compete the the Colorado wanderlust and first generation transplant families that want their kids to see life outside the state.

There is some of this but there has always been some of this. We have historically seen a significant number of top ranked kids go out of state. I would have loved to have Tony Boselli and Jeff Byers both stay instead of going to SC. At the same time we have also historically keep a pretty decent number of those guys home. That isn't happening on this current roster.

Any 3 of the guys on Duffs list (other than O'Connor due to injury) would significantly change our OL and Offensive outlook for this year and into the immediate future.

So do we offer Alec Ruth? I can't say I'm his biggest fan, but his offer list is pretty decent.

I want Colorado kids but I'm not high on Ruth. He may become a good college player but I think a lot of what he has done is due to the quality of the athletes surrounding him.

Also don't think it matters, get a feeling that he is going out of state anyways, CU offer or not.

So do we offer Alec Ruth? I can't say I'm his biggest fan, but his offer list is pretty decent.

The way things have been going, he'll end up signing with Oklahoma, starting as a freshman and leading them to the national championship. Then a year from now, we'll have another thread lamenting the fact that the coaching staff didn't land him (even if a number of us weren't really sold on him).

Back