What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3 point shooting woes

jkppkjjkp

On the season the Buffs are hitting an underwhelming 32.8% (108/329) on threes.

In terms of pure volume the major offenders are George King and Josh Fortune, both at 28.3% on 17 of 60 shooting.

From the bench we have Thomas Akyazili at 5.9% (1/17), Lucas Siewert 27.8% (5/18), and Bryce Peters 16.7% (3/18), if you add those 3 together you get 17.0% on 9 of 53 shooting.

I've been able to watch roughly half of the game action this season and my impression is that most of the attempted threes have been acceptable or good looks, and it's been more of an issue of just missing rather than forcing up contested shots; in particular I think the second half against Utah started with 4 misses of wide open 3's on the first 5 possessions.

The 32.8% ranks the Buffs 11th in the Pac-12, and the 20.6 attempts per game is 5th highest.

Are the early, unimpressive, results simply a matter of just missing decent looks from the 3 point line?

You would love the effort and energy to flow from good defense and rebounding, but splashing in open 3's ranks right up there with alley-oops and break away dunks as plays that energize teams and arenas.

Hopefully King (45.6% on 149 attempts last year) finds his shot, and maybe Akyazili (18/76 career 23.7%) and Fortune (163/484 career 33.7%) need to be convinced to shoot far less threes.

It's not a failure to get open, IMO, guys are just not sinking them.

Right. So what gives? How do you go from a dead-eye 3pt shooter to awful in one year? Is it the way he's getting his threes? Different from last year with Scott inside?

Last edited:
Right. So what gives? How do you go from a dead-eye 3pt shooter to awful in one year? Is it the way he's getting his threes? Different from last year with Scott inside?

Teams not doubling post this year
Also mental when they don't fall
Press and don't shoot freely or with confidence

After the first game of the season, I thought this team would continue to light it up from the arc. Not sure what happened, but inconsistent is the best they have done ever since.

The coaches probably hounded him too much about being a 'more complete player' instead of just improving on the George we all knew and loved last year.

Just proves another year older doesn't mean better, so many guys playing below potential.

I'd love to see CU get back to driving towards the glass more often like we did well in the past and that would free up the three pointer. Just like the running game freeing up the play action pass when it comes to football.

Without Scott, the inside out concept has been lacking.

Back