What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5 Out Motion Offense

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
Reading discussions about point guards and @Buffnik making a point that with our planned motion offense the PG may not be quite as important got me thinking about the 5 out offense.

For those of us who don’t really understand basketball strategy at a high level, could you guys who understand this stuff explain what we should look for and expect?

My basic understanding is that we set up in the half court then sort of rotate positions off the pass, creating constant motion.

Reading discussions about point guards and @Buffnik making a point that with our planned motion offense the PG may not be quite as important got me thinking about the 5 out offense.

For those of us who don’t really understand basketball strategy at a high level, could you guys who understand this stuff explain what we should look for and expect?

My basic understanding is that we set up in the half court then sort of rotate positions off the pass, creating constant motion.
Huggins and Barnes are also great examples, but I think the 5-Out Motion at Davidson is the best run.

The video Nik shared is very good, but to put it in a few words:

Instead of set actions, there are more general guidelines in a typical 5 man out motion offense. It allows for freedom, but if you get a cohesive unit, it can work like a well oiled machine. General guidelines typically include after a pass, you need to either screen away, or cut. If you are standing and not imminently receiving the ball, you need to either screen away, cut, or space. Don't cut into a teammate. Always maintain spacing, at a most simple level you should generally be in one of five areas, a point man out front (not necessarily the point guard) two guys on wings, two guys in the corners/on the baseline between the block and the corner. Reversing or swinging the ball from one side to the other is important, it creates gaps in the defense for cutters curling off screens. The ball should never stick. In most 5 out offenses, you aren't going to see a lot of pick and roll. Bob Knight teams were great historical examples of this style of play. It's how I was taught growing up and how I teach when coaching. I could talk about this forever.

The video Nik shared is very good, but to put it in a few words:

Instead of set actions, there are more general guidelines in a typical 5 man out motion offense. It allows for freedom, but if you get a cohesive unit, it can work like a well oiled machine. General guidelines typically include after a pass, you need to either screen away, or cut. If you are standing and not imminently receiving the ball, you need to either screen away, cut, or space. Don't cut into a teammate. Always maintain spacing, at a most simple level you should generally be in one of five areas, a point man out front (not necessarily the point guard) two guys on wings, two guys in the corners/on the baseline between the block and the corner. Reversing or swinging the ball from one side to the other is important, it creates gaps in the defense for cutters curling off screens. The ball should never stick. In most 5 out offenses, you aren't going to see a lot of pick and roll. Bob Knight teams were great historical examples of this style of play. It's how I was taught growing up and how I teach when coaching. I could talk about this forever.
One thing I like a lot is the Huggins version because it's an absolute zone breaker. The rule in that one is that every cut or flash requires a player to hit the "Nail" so there's always pressure and action at the FT line.

As someone who had not played organized basketball since 9th grade, and does not follow the sport as closely as football, is this 5 Out Motion something new for Tad this year?

One thing I like a lot is the Huggins version because it's an absolute zone breaker. The rule in that one is that every cut or flash requires a player to hit the "Nail" so there's always pressure and action at the FT line.
Interestingly enough, I've never run the 5 out to bust the zone. It can be done, but it's harder. The concepts of my zone offenses are the same though, you need the action in the middle at the high post to beat most zones. Attacking from the High post and the dead spot (outside the block, not all the way to the corner, about 12 feet from the basket) is how you break down most zone defenses. The concepts change if Dikembe Mutombo is in the middle.

As someone who had not played organized basketball since 9th grade, and does not follow the sport as closely as football, is this 5 Out Motion something new for Tad this year?
Yes, Tad has been running a lot more set offenses the last several years. Some UCLA high post offense concepts, some flex concepts. You can do as much of a deep dive on the internet on UCLA high post offense as you can on the five man motion. Ultimately there are a lot of ways to run an offense, and they vary wildly from the most commonly known NBA concepts. The athletes in general are too good defensively at the NBA level to run college offenses.

Back