What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

a bit off-topic, but the 1995 NBA draft (Boyce's draft)

Mick Ronson

some interesting names here. again, thanks wiki. Bryant Reeves, man he a hillbilly but was a good college player. Joe Smith, ouch. the mercurial 2 times Nugget and Knick Antonio McD. cherokee parks, as Doug Moe would say...what a stiff. Ostertag, head like an anvil....and a total stiff. Terrance Rencher, shooting guard off a fluky Texas Tom Penders team that made the Elite Eight. Tyus Edney, dare you to post about him at Mizzou's Tigerboard. Jimmy King, 5th member of the Fab Five? Garnett at #5. ISU coach Freddie Hoiberg. O'Bannon was a bust. loved Corliss Williamson as a college player. Pokey State coach Travis Ford. started his career at Mizzou, t-ferred to Kentucky.

Last edited:
McDyess would have been a tremendous player if he hadn't blown out his knees. He was just learning how to play the game when he was drafted. He was so much better than everybody he played in college athletically that he never had to develop his game much, a little like Farried this year but McDyess was a much better player.

Other than that a pretty typical draft, a few good players and a bunch of stiffs.

Cory Alexander was a hell of a player for UVA, had to chuckle when I saw Cherokee Parks.

who was the coach at UVA? Bryant Stith was also a helluva college player as a Hoo but he was a couple years earlier. Stith was a solid Nugget, too. he could really score the ball in college.

seriously, Cherokee Parks. wow, talk about an average big guy. and his parents named him after genocide basically, yikes.

who was the coach at UVA? Bryant Stith was also a helluva college player as a Hoo but he was a couple years earlier. Stith was a solid Nugget, too. he could really score the ball in college.

Jeff Jones. Got a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 among five NCAA appearances in his eight years there. Not bad for an ACC team outside the state of North Carolina. Now coaches at American U, and I couldn't remember this but apparently he guided them to consecutive tourney appearances a few years ago.

What stands out from that list of the '95 draftees, and maybe this is common in many years, was how many guys who fell outside the lottery had very solid role player careers in the league. Barry, Ratliff, Snow, Finley. Even 10 years after the draft they were contributing for playoff teams. Pretty solid.

Big 8 represented pretty well in this draft.

Jeff Jones. Got a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 among five NCAA appearances in his eight years there. Not bad for an ACC team outside the state of North Carolina. Now coaches at American U, and I couldn't remember this but apparently he guided them to consecutive tourney appearances a few years ago.

What stands out from that list of the '95 draftees, and maybe this is common in many years, was how many guys who fell outside the lottery had very solid role player careers in the league. Barry, Ratliff, Snow, Finley. Even 10 years after the draft they were contributing for playoff teams. Pretty solid.

Big 8 represented pretty well in this draft.

Went to school with his daughters. Jones did well for a while (he was a hell of a player himself btw, big coup for UVA to grab him out Kentucky), but in all fairness, he thrived largely because Terry Holland left him a program in prime position. Jones enjoyed some good years, but it became obvious after 5 or 6 years that the program was starting to decline, and he was fired eventually after things hit rock bottom. But yes, UVA has a proud basketball history in the 70s and 80s, and a lesser extent the 90s. However, to not have won a national title with Ralph Sampson was a travesty. In terms of the present, there's really no excuse for them to not be a top 25 program year in and year out. Their facilities are just amazing and they sit in fertile recruiting territory. We'll see what Bennett can do, he has them headed in an upward trajectory for the time being.

Last edited:
i thought Bennett was a bit of an odd hire for UVA at the time, but they showed a little last year i think and that new gym is what i'd love to see CU build someday. can't underestimate that supply-side fac ilities arms race type investments these days for recruiting....for better or worse in terms of human species type stuff. no one needs play station in their locker...but, hey?

i thought Bennett was a bit of an odd hire for UVA at the time, but they showed a little last year i think and that new gym is what i'd love to see CU build someday. can't underestimate that supply-side fac ilities arms race type investments these days for recruiting....for better or worse in terms of human species type stuff. no one needs play station in their locker...but, hey?

Yeah, I still have some questions about Bennett. But, he's recruiting pretty well and last year, despite making the tournament, could have been a whole lot better had they not been absolutely ravaged by injuries (never seen a basketball team so banged up). I think it's a wise choice as they're not usually going to beat UNC or Duke running up and down the court in high-scoring games (they tried that with Pete Gillen), so slow it down and make it a physical slugfest ala Wisconsin.

Their gym was largely thanks to one man, John Paul Jones, who stepped up and threw down the $$$ (and thus has the arena named after him). We need more of that at CU, crossing my fingers for the football expansion. As for our new basketball facility, you can already see it paying dividends..

Boyce is coaching his old HS team, Proviso East (chicago). Michael Finley was one of his teammates. There are several D1 players on his current team, including Shannon Brown's younger brother. I think his name is Sterling, and he's a bigtime recruit. Paris Lee, Keith Carter, and Javon Carter will also play
D1.

Last edited:
Back