What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A deeper look at the (3) primary candidates

coereg

Steve McClain -
Incredible 3 yr run with Hutchinson, KS (91-16 & the '94 Nat'l Champions), and a good 5 year initial run with WYO (100-52; 44-26 in conf.; 3-4 post season). Then suddenly, while the MWC grew much stronger, quickly, the wheels came off (57-63; 23-37 in conf. from '03 to '06 & no post season appearances).

Mike Dunlap
Has an overall HC record of 366-127, 3 Nat’l Championships, and is a 3-time Nat’l Coach of the Year.
His most noticeable work was obviously at Metro State (227-40; ’00 & ‘02 Nat’l champions; 2-time Nat’l Coach of the Year). Before that he coached the Adelaide 36ers, an Australian pro team, to a 59-33 record and NBL Final Four appearances in ’95 & ’96. He also coached five seasons at Cal Lutheran (going 80-54). While there, he won 3 conf. titles, finished runner-up in the ’94 Div. III Nat’l Championship, and was named the Kodak District Coach of the Year in ’94.
Dunlap has also held assistant positions with LMU, Iowa, USC, the Denver Nuggets, Arizona, and Oregon.

Tad Boyle -
Boyle played collegiately at Kansas and for Larry Brown. As a senior, he captained the Jayhawks, with then freshman Danny Manning.
Boyle was a long time assistant coach at Oregon, Tennessee under Jerry Green. Plus, Jacksonville St., and Wichita State under HC and long time friend, Mark Turgeon.
His only HC experience has been at UNC, where in 4 years, he’s seen tremendous progress while compiling an overall 56-74 record (52-40 the last 3 seasons including 25-8 in 2010).
He was recently (in March) named the Big Sky Conf. and Div-I All-District Coach of the Year.

Although McClain's hire would appease most of the current players, I question, given his track record, whether he can sustain any long term success at CU. Although it's unfair to say because it's a NEW program with new challenges, different features, etc. Still, that questions lingers in my mind.

Boyle has had good overall progress at UNC but as far we know, his team may go 10-20 next year or they could go 25-5, we don't know what to expect yet. He's had ONE winning season in a low mid-major conference but good experience as an assistant, and he played at KU. It's a risky trigger to pull, at best.

IMO, Mike Dunlap is the “stand out” candidate for CU. Simply put, he’s a winner!!, and this is his time to shine. It appears that he’s had his interest and eye on the CU job for a long time, his family lives here and that is where he’s most comfortable. He’s been quoted recently as saying “this is the job I really want.” He’s turned down HC jobs at AZ (they also claimed to have turned him down), LMU, Fresno St., & San Francisco.
I feel he can deliver an opportunity to be a legit contender both in the Big 12 and on the national scene.

Although McClain's hire would appease most of the current players, I question, given his track record, whether he can sustain any long term success at CU. Although it's unfair to say because it's a NEW program with new challenges, different features, etc. Still, that questions lingers in my mind.

Boyle has had good overall progress at UNC but as far we know, his team may go 10-20 next year or they could go 25-5, we don't know what to expect yet. He's had ONE winning season in a low mid-major conference but good experience as an assistant, and he played at KU. It's a risky trigger to pull, at best.

IMO, Mike Dunlap is the “stand out” candidate for CU. Simply put, he’s a winner!!, and this is his time to shine. It appears that he’s had his interest and eye on the CU job for a long time, his family lives here and that is where he’s most comfortable. He’s been quoted recently as saying “this is the job I really want.” He’s turned down HC jobs at AZ (they also claimed to have turned him down), LMU, Fresno St., & San Francisco.
I feel he can deliver an opportunity to be a legit contender both in the Big 12 and on the national scene.

which is exactly why Bohn will **** this up and go with someone else.

Back