What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A look at WVU's offense

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
Know your enemy.

071108_patWhite_vmed_10p.widec.jpg

QB- #5 Pat White (6-2, 185)
What more can you say that hasn’t already been said? The kid is a playmaker. A true homerun threat every time he runs the ball. He was fourth place in 2007 for the Heisman trophy. He has an experienced line in front of him. He’s going to get his yards. I’m not sure how Collins plans on addressing him. You can only hope to contain him. I heard Rodney Stewart has been doing his best on the scout team trying to imitate White.

Pat was the 2008 Fiesta Bowl MVP, while being named Big East Offensive Player of the Year in 2006 and 2007. His nickname is The Chief because he has an Indian chief tattoo on his arm. He passed up a big contract with the Angels to play college ball, but was selected in every year he was in college. This year he was selected again by the Reds. When I say this kid is good, I meant it. He’s scary good. He’s a version of Darian Hagan, but not as good as the original.

Bill Stewart had a funny quote on White.
"Let me tell you what: someday down there by Sam Huff, there’d better be a No. 5 there...There better be a statue."
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0YPDFmcp5Y&feature=related"]YouTube - Pat White Highlights[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLkqrPcOcw"]YouTube - Pat White 2007 highlights so far[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_73bsdVi_c&feature=related"]YouTube - The Pat White Show: Revised[/ame]

p.jpeg

RB- #7 Noel Divine (5-8, 170)
He has quite the story. The following is from his wikipedia profile:
Personal life

Devine was 3 months old when his father died in 1988 of complications from AIDS, and 11 years old when his mother also died of AIDS. Custody passed to his maternal grandmother, but the two did not always see eye to eye. Eventually, Noel moved in with the Liz and Robert Harlow Sr, the parents of one of Noel's friends. Devine himself is the father of two children by two different women. He was also a witness to a shooting late in 2004, in which one of Noel's friends, 15 year old Rashard Patterson, was killed by a shotgun blast to the chest.

Noel has a special relationship with Deion Sanders, who himself is a graduate of North Fort Myers High School. At one point, Sanders planned to become Noel's legal guardian. Devine moved to Prosper, Texas, where he lived with Sanders, but after a few weeks, he took Deion Sanders wife's Escalade to the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, where a plane ticket back to Florida awaited him. Devine and Sanders are still in contact with each other, perhaps more so as the 2007 signing day approached, when Sanders assisted Noel in preparing to sign a letter of intent and play football in the college ranks. Deion Sanders revealed his mentor role in Devine's decision in his column for The News-Press, a Fort Myers news outlet. He recommended to Devine that a prep school would help better prepare him for college.

He had a decent freshman season. But he was behind a great RB in Steve Slaton. Now he’s the feature back, he should put up good numbers. Noel had 9carries for 47 yards against Villanova. In the next week he put up 94 on 12 carries. Like White he’s a threat for 6 every time he touches the rock. Hopefully he gets to know Mr. Hypolite real well on the 18th. I expect him to get around 15 carries. Bill Stewart has been getting some flak from the fans on Noel. Or the lack of using Noel.

HS Highlight reels.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeVszfHYKg"]YouTube - Noel Divine - Sickest Runningback EVER![/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta3Gi_AFTQg"]YouTube - Noel Divine[/ame]

WVU Highlights
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Lx1YJ-elI"]YouTube - WVU Noel Devine vs Maryland (2007) "Big Things Poppin"[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7XKj68ja4Q&feature=related"]YouTube - Noel Devine Freshman Highlights HQ[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDn_IIwUUhI&feature=related"]YouTube - Devine Intervention (Noel Devine Freshman Highlights)[/ame]

1780647188_8a49ac6bb3_o.jpg

WR #9Jock Sanders (5-8 185)
He’s been overshadowed by Divine, but he’s someone you should be aware of when you’re on the field, as well as in the bars in Morgantown.
Before the 2008 season even began, in February, Sanders was involved in an altercaltion. Teammate Noel Devine and Jock Sanders were the only two identified football players from an attack on two WVU students outside a Morgantown bar. Head coach Bill Stewart, however, did say, " To me disrespecting someone downtown of the opposite sex is a whole lot worse that bumping into a guy in a bar, which you shouldn't be in the bar anyhow. But, to me there's intangibles in life. Sometimes there's confrontations, sometimes you don't handle confrontations right, but preplanned, pre arranged instances--you can't overlook that." On March 13, Sanders, Devine, Eian Smith, and Brantwon Bowser were all arrested and pled no contest to the charges.
He’s Divine’s backup at RB. He’s the starter at WR and KR for the Mountaineers this year. Jock recorded 62 yards on 8 receptions for 1 TD vs. Villanova. He also had 54 yards on two kick returns. In the ECU game Jock had 3 receptions for 20, and three returns for 54 yards. Not as good as White or Divine but he’s still dangerous on the field.

travel_westvirginia_800.jpg

Offensive Line
The offensive line is pretty good. This unit was developed by legendary Oline coach Rick Trickett. Rick has since taken over the offensive line duties, as well as being named Asst. HC, at FSU. They replaced him with Dave Johnson. He was the TE’s coach at Georgia from 01-07. A major downgrade imo. But you cannot easily replace a guy like Trickett. He was a major reason for WVU’s success.

RyanStancheck101805.jpg

LT #62 Ryan Stanchek (6-4, 300)
The kid is a beast.He’ll be making his 37th consecutive start for the Mountaineers. He racked up the postseason honors last year:
CollegeFootballNews.com’s All-Bowl team … Football Writers’ Association of America First-Team All-American … Sporting News Second-team All-American … rivals.com second-team All-American … Walter Camp Football Foundation second-team All-American … first-team all-Big EAST by rivals.com … selected by the coaching staff for the John Russell Memorial Award.

This was from his wikipedia profile:
The offensive line only gave up 13 sacks as a unit and Stanchek was in the top ten nationally in sacks allowed. In the offensive line's finest game, the 2008 Fiesta Bowl victory over the Oklahoma Sooners, West Virginia rushed for 349 yards which was the most ever given up by an Oklahoma team in a bowl game. Stanchek was also named to the 2007 Big East Academic All-American team.

Back for a third season as the starting left tackle is Stanchek, a mentally and physically tough lineman that plays until the whistle. Built more like a guard than a tackle at 6-4 and 300 pounds, he’s an outstanding drive blocker and especially nasty when working in small spaces. He earned some All-America recognition as a junior, despite being overlooked by the Big East.

ul6110807.jpg

LG #79 Greg Isdaner (6-4, 315)
Another dominate force on the line. He's yet another returning starter. He's been getting his share of attention as well. He'll be making his 28th consecutive start vs Colorado. Ranked the 7th best guard in the nation by Lindy’s. First team all Big East. Athlon Sports first team All American.

Here is some recent quotes from Greg.
On what they need to do
We will do our best to perform and we’re working on it. I think the coaches have confidence in us and our ability to get going. I hope that we can have our best performance yet this year, especially running-that’s our forte and we need to get it working.

We have to get the defense off the field. We need to keep them off the field. They are doing a heck of a job and are going through 15 play drives and we’re going three and out, or we’re scoring a touchdown in one play-it really puts the pressure on them. We’re going to do our best to give them a rest during the game so they can perform to the best of their abilities.

On Colorado
I think they come from a great conference and everyone knows Colorado. It should be interesting to go out there and play them. A couple of my friends who I grew up with are out there and they said the environment gets pretty crazy. I’m excited to see how it compares to here, because we have a great environment. Hopefully we can match their intensity.

On playing top teams in the nonconference schedule.
I don’t want to say we had a let down last week because I don’t think that’s what it was. I think they played a better game then we did. Always having these highly regarded teams on our schedule definitely gets us up and going.

The whole line returns this year. This is easily the best unit for WVU. C Mike Dent was named to the second team all Big East. RG Jake Figner was named third team all Big East.

Here is a interesting video on WVU’s spread offense. I know Bill Stewart isn’t running the exact same offense as Rich Rod. But I’ve heard rumors they might revert back to it vs. Colorado.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e4zyYXJUnE"]YouTube - Coach Rod discusses the spread offense[/ame]

Right now Bill Stewart is telling his team that this game is the game of the season for WVU. They will no doubt try to run the score up on us. Make a statement kind of game.

This is what I was talking about Valdez. This is the sort of effort that your impending marriage might impede.

Great stuff! Wedding's off.

This is what I was talking about Valdez. This is the sort of effort that your impending marriage might impede.

Great stuff! Wedding's off.

val is getting married?

damn val, if you dont want to have sex with her anymore, why dont you just tell her? how are we going to get our scoops now?:huh:

Great stuff....thanks mucho!!!

Someone should also tell Noel to continue dancing around like he's doing the tango everytime he touches the ball as well....because I guarantee that he's gon get laid out by one of our LB's! :smile2:

Word is Stewart's scrapping the pass. Back to what they know best. Run, run, and run.

I hope that is true. I have much more confidence in our ability to stop the run. Hope their plan calls for a LOT of running up the gut.

I hope that is true. I have much more confidence in our ability to stop the run. Hope their plan calls for a LOT of running up the gut.

Eh. I see your point. I'm glad we're not seeing a QB who can sling it. But PWhite is dangerous. I fully expect a shootout this thursday.

Back